Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Is there anyway to remove cover art in iTunes 12?

Previously, i know yo hold down OPTION to pull up the previous "Get Info" as this was how i always removes artwork before, so i thought if i could get the old pane up, then it would probably work..

But unforunatly, in the latest update to iTunes, they've removed this completely.

Apple tells me, you can only update, and the closest to this i could see was that you can "hide artwork" from view... (although haven't tested this yet)

This may be a miiddle-ground.. but not the solution, because the cover art is still there on the file, just not shown...

I have tried using third party software like MP3tag in windows and while i have all other meta data clean again, it does not pick up the covert art...

Any way i can remove this ?

Maybe third party software only shows cover arts in jpg only ? and if so, i am stuffed. because the cover art i could only test with it (when i was trying to remove it before), is a .PNG image...

So what do I do ?

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Open the info (CMD+I) on the song/album you want the covert art gone, then in the artwork tab, click once on the cover (it'll get highlighted) and then hit backspace

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Is there anyway to remove cover art in iTunes 12?

Previously, i know yo hold down OPTION to pull up the previous "Get Info" as this was how i always removes artwork before, so i thought if i could get the old pane up, then it would probably work..

But unforunatly, in the latest update to iTunes, they've removed this completely.

Apple tells me, you can only update, and the closest to this i could see was that you can "hide artwork" from view... (although haven't tested this yet)

This may be a miiddle-ground.. but not the solution, because the cover art is still there on the file, just not shown...

I have tried using third party software like MP3tag in windows and while i have all other meta data clean again, it does not pick up the covert art...

Any way i can remove this ?

Maybe third party software only shows cover arts in jpg only ? and if so, i am stuffed. because the cover art i could only test with it (when i was trying to remove it before), is a .PNG image...

So what do I do ?

I'm using 12.1.2 - When I have the Get Info window open (command+I), I click the Artwork tab, and then right-click/control-click on the image to get a Delete Artwork option.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
ok thanks..

however i think i found why its not possible...

I need to clear the artwork on individual songs..

In previous iTunes i could just select everything regardless, open up Get info, and tick the box and it would go though and find the artwork to clear...

Seems the thing that has changed is now u must find the song with the artwork yourself (which will take time since i have a huge library).

otherwise the artwork will not appear, in the artwork tab, even if you have some songs which have them.

That's my issue. But ya,, i think i will have to go song-by-song as the only way now..

And ya this must also by done via song view... Album view although shows the cover will not delete from there.

So, maybe sort by cover in Finder and find the songs to remove cover from maybe?

Seems that's probably the only way.. If i try "Show Artwork" in iTunes, they don't appear.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fixed...

The solution is to update picture, then delete.. This will remove all cover art for all songs at once :D

Strange way of doing things... :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.