Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Good Evening,

What FTP Application do you guys often find yourself using? Looked at sticky in forum but didn't see anything relatively recent. I have tried YummyFTP and it seemed to be ok? I have googled around some but not found one I just "love."

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Blaine

(seems everything I turned up on google about topic was from years ago as well. Figure their has to be some new players in the game...)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I use Cyberduck. It seems to be pretty reliable and it's free (although you can donate if you wish).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally like Transmit You can order on the MAS or from their site (Panic), which I usually prefer over the MAS.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Another vote here for Cyberduck.

It's worth reminding folks that if all you're doing is downloading via FTP then the Finder can do that with no additional software. Just select Go>Connect to Server, enter the site address and the site will show up like any other connected share/disk. Drag files/folders to your Mac as you see fit.

Also, if your old-school then you can do all sorts via FTP from the command line in Terminal. Again, no additional software necessary.

Having said that, personally I like a nice GUI and my personal favourite is Cyberduck.

r.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Ftp

Thanks guys played with Cyberduck a little and didn't quite get the hang of it half asleep last night. May have to try again. I like Yummy interface over Cyber so far however but maybe I haven't had enough experience with Cyber. I have a USB drive setup on home network and just simply needing to drag and drop files both way but have only been to do so successfully using FTP(finder won't let me write in either direction for some reason). If that provides any insight to you all as far as what im trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
My personal favourite is Fetch: http://fetchsoftworks.com/

It is reliable, fast and very easy to use. I found Cyberduck crashed a lot and/or dropped connection. May have been my system as others here have reported positively about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.