Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Hi,

I currently have the top end mid-2012 15" rMBP with the 2.7GHz i7, 16GB RAM, and 768GB SSD. I just picked up one of the new MacBooks and was thinking of selling the rMBP now that it is approaching 3-years old and getting the base riMac.

Generally speaking, how will the performance of the riMac compare to the rMBP for gaming (Diablo III, WOW), web browsing, and Microsoft Office use?

Best,

Michael

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi,

I currently have the top end mid-2012 15" rMBP with the 2.7GHz i7, 16GB RAM, and 768GB SSD. I just picked up one of the new MacBooks and was thinking of selling the rMBP now that it is approaching 3-years old and getting the base riMac.

Generally speaking, how will the performance of the riMac compare to the rMBP for gaming (Diablo III, WOW), web browsing, and Microsoft Office use?

Best,

Michael

It will (obviously) be better it's got desktop class CPU's and better graphics and a higher thermal overhead. Upgrade to the M295X and blow those games away.

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
CPU plays a very small role in gaining. The iMac 27" has a slightly better GPU, GT 750 vs the 650 in your current MacBook Pro, but it's not leaps and bounds a head. If you go for the iMac 5k, and upgrade to the M295X like I did you'll be very happy.

However, I run Diablo 3 on the new 12" MacBook (go try it since you have one). I just did it as a demo of the hardware. It can do wow too. My point, if those are your gaming requirements you don't need anything powerful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.