Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often do you replace your SP per year?

• I never replaced my SP in one year or phone cycle.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 1-2 times per year due to scratches.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • More than 3x per year due to scratches.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Only replace due to wear, bubbles, or lifting over time.

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
How many times do you change/replace your Screen Protector?

Let's do it per year ( or phone cycle). I'm curious to see some stats on screen protector replacements do to the screen protector being scratched or broken in use.

DO NOT include replacement because you wanted to try another SP brand or due to misalignment during install. If you tried 3 brands of SP and never scratch any in one year, then vote for option 1

My wife has a SP on, but never has scratches. I've seen others walk around with scratched SP or severely bubbled SP and wonder why they don't change them... They look awful.

I go back and forth about SP. I do see the point that even if the SP is softer than the glass, it's thickness alone could prevent a scratch from a hard sand particle. When that happens, I'd be compelled to replace the SP since I like the pristine look. In general though, I've been very lucky.

So I'm curious to learn others experience.

Any type of SP. glass, film, edge to edge or less.

I gave some other options to check as well. You can vote for multiuser options. For example choice 1 and 4.

1. Never change my SP, because it hasn't scratched or broken
2. Change it 1-2 times per year due to scratches or breakage.
3. Change it more than 3x per year due to scratches or breakage.
4. Change the SP only do to lifting, bubbles that develop or wear and smudges.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Only when I have too. My last ghost armor lasted about 2 years, so it I didn't need to replace it given that the phone was going to be replaced.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Only when I have too. My last ghost armor lasted about 2 years, so it I didn't need to replace it given that the phone was going to be replaced.

Thanks. So you voted for option 4, I would think.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I've never had to do it. But these glass things are new. And I had trouble putting mine on, lifting it twice and creating a loss of adhesive in the bottom left corner. So that might be a weak point going forward.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I'm like kargurin, I've only replaced one, and that was a tempered glass protector that was repeatedly lifted because of a case that was bumping it. Many people would have just left it alone, but I just couldn't stand the looks of one corner not sticking down.:eek:

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I received my Plus on launch day and technically I'm on my 3rd screen protector. The first one I had to scrap immediately because it had some fuzz under it when I applied it. The second I had for a few months, bumped it on the bathroom faucet and it cracked a bit. The third has been on for a few months and I haven't had any issues. I'll only replace it if it cracks.

Prior to this I've always used Otterbox Defender or Armor cases w/ built in plastic screen protector. While I liked the protection of the case the plastic screens were kind of meh. The glass screen protectors work like a dream. Much better.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I'm like kargurin, I've only replaced one, and that was a tempered glass protector that was repeatedly lifted because of a case that was bumping it. Many people would have just left it alone, but I just couldn't stand the looks of one corner not sticking down.:eek:

I received my Plus on launch day and technically I'm on my 3rd screen protector. The first one I had to scrap immediately because it had some fuzz under it when I applied it. The second I had for a few months, bumped it on the bathroom faucet and it cracked a bit. The third has been on for a few months and I haven't had any issues. I'll only replace it if it cracks.

Prior to this I've always used Otterbox Defender or Armor cases w/ built in plastic screen protector. While I liked the protection of the case the plastic screens were kind of meh. The glass screen protectors work like a dream. Much better.

Yeah, if the screen protector has fuzz under it or partially lifts off, that would be very annoying. After all we think of using SP to avoid even having minute scratches or imperfections on the iPhone screen.

Any more votes? There must be a lot of users out there.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Thanks for the replies so far.

So few screen protector users with experience?

rc0310

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
I change them whenever the oleophobic coating wears off on the screen protector.

Tend to change it about every 2 months to keep the fingerprints away and the phone looking new all the time. #

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Normally I'll keep my screen protector on for a full year or more. However my last screen protector chipped due to being hit with a metal seat belt. Actually was a good thing, as I went from a case friendly screen protector to an edge to edge Benks Pro, which I really, really like.

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
I usually put in on, and leave it there. If the edges started to peel (an issue i've yet to come across) I would consider getting a new one.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Option two for me, once a year maybe, I only changed twice within this year because my screen was replaced last year and this year it was my entire phone... Otherwise the same protector would no doubt have stayed because they're a bugger to put on lol

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
It does seem we are 50-50 split between those that never scratchy SP and those that do. However SP are predominantly changed from either scratches or lifting/ bubble of the SP itself.

Interesting.

Ringside

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
In the past I'd always use plastic protectors. They obviously scratch up much easier than todays tempered glass. I would change every 5-6 months. Would do more often but it's a pain in the butt. Hate the look of a crappy protector but I do get lazy about replacing it. I've most definitely have removed ones because of bad installs. Got to be perfect, super OCD about it. Have gone through more than usual with the 6 mainly because of the new curved display and experimenting with different ones. Currently have found a tempered glass I like and hoping it hold up for awhile. Don't want to fuss anymore with putting them on if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.