Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I've recently discovered Forecast and am wondering if there are any other apps out there that may have different animated backgrounds for weather as I find forecast's weather backgrounds to be bland. I heard of weatherboard but from the video, it looked like you pick which weather picture/animation that you want. I want it to update for automatically according to the current weather.

Also has anyone been able to successfully change the weather pictures from file? Can it work that way if you want to change the picture but keep the cloud/rain/whatever animation? I didn't see a folder for it but I'm thinking I looked in the wrong place.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've never found anything satisfactory. Time was that the devs of LivePapers had intended to put out a live forecast version of their animated wallpaper and I bought the tweak on the strength of that. But, the devs were in highschool at the time so other than a few animated walls it never really went beyond that.

I've edited the HTML code of various "HTC Clock" animated weather iWidgets to remove the clock and just leave the animated weather. But, that's a bit of work, requires iWidget and depending on the base iWidget you start with can be a real battery killer.

Other than these two things I've never run across what you're looking for. As I want that too, I can guarantee you I've looked!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Bought LockHTML 2 today (I'm on iOS 6.1). Decided I really wanted animated weather and since this HTC Animated Weather Forecast iOS7 iWidget that I use is pretty good on battery life I modified things.

I duped the HTC folder inside the iWidgets folder and renamed it. I then modified the HTML code to strip out the clock, calendar, et. all calls. But anything I did to try and edit city, desc, and temp had the widget fail.

So…I edited the CSS file for the #city, #desc, and #temp div tags to use 0px for the text. Effectively that made them disappear without breaking tha animation.

So, now all I have is the animation. Using LockHTML I've added that to my lockscreen. I'm no coder so this is a hackjob, but here's a screenshot. It works.

Note that the time, date and temps along with the small icon are not part of this. That's Forecast. This is just a separate animated feature. Also, the bars you see in the background are from my LivePapers Nexus tweak.

Attachments

• 2014-03-15 20.41.59.png
    2014-03-15 20.41.59.png
    735.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What about DarkSky people. There have been a lot of good reviews about it that I've come across.
Dark Sky is an app in the app store.

It's got good reviews as you mention, but if you want to use it you have to be in the app.

None of the apps features will run on your lockscreen or springboard. You need JB tweaks for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.