Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You're not selling in other words? I am close to just putting mine up for sale.
I was going to especially as demand is still high for it, but I thought I'd like to give the fix a try, just to see. If it doesn't make much of a difference as what needs to be then yes I will make most of the resale value of the device whilst its still 'the hot' item of the moment.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I was going to especially as demand is still high for it, but I thought I'd like to give the fix a try, just to see. If it doesn't make much of a difference as what needs to be then yes I will make most of the resale value of the device whilst its still 'the hot' item of the moment.

Where? Swappa? I use their site to sell my phones. Get my Paypal debit card loaded up once I get paid instantly by the buyer. Peace of mind vs. eBay's headaches and long money clearing process.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Where? Swappa? I use their site to sell my phones. Get my Paypal debit card loaded up once I get paid instantly by the buyer. Peace of mind vs. eBay's headaches and long money clearing process.
We have a similar website here called adverts and I'd sell it on there. Yep usually paid via PayPal or bank transfer direct.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
We have a similar website here called adverts and I'd sell it on there. Yep usually paid via PayPal or bank transfer direct.

Are you looking at a profit or a small loss including shipping and taxes paid on the device and the shipping to the buyer?

So for sure the 6+ is the better device? I think if I buy a 6+, I'll buy a next gen iPhone for sure too.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Okay, this is getting too much. 87% RAM usage with just Instagram, FB, messaging, and internet in the background. Closing apps with the manager got down to 68%. Paired with horrific battery life and you have a miserable experience with expecting your phone to last a day. I love the features, but this is a huge cost. Apps will force close soon.

Are you sure you're not micromanaging this ram thing a bit too much? Genuine question. Maybe you can't help yourself but notice it now. Is it actually slowing your day to day usage? Like are apps really force closing after a few are opened? Or things refreshing that badly, like losing content if you navigate away from it? Not talking about the split second of white that is required to reload the content if the app, but actually losing your place where you left off or losing the text and having to start over if you app switch. Is that actually happening to a detrimental degree?

Cause I'm not experiencing that. Not to that degree. I even ran some tests to mimic what MRU was describing and could not recreate the problem.

As for battery life, it ain't the best, for sure. And if you're unable to take advantage of the two things that can address the small battery, like quick charge and or wireless charging, then this device unfortunately doesn't sound right for you. Doesn't sound like its worth the tradeoffs for the featured you like. Sounds like you need a phablet.

A promised fix for the ram is coming, but if you can't wait long enough, maybe time to throw in the towel. Or at least try a replacement device. I had to get mine replaced cause of a variety of bugs too. Second unit is much better.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are you sure you're not micromanaging this ram thing a bit too much? Genuine question. Maybe you can't help yourself but notice it now. Is it actually slowing your day to day usage? Like are apps really force closing after a few are opened? Or things refreshing that badly, like losing content if you navigate away from it? Not talking about the split second of white that is required to reload the content if the app, but actually losing your place where you left off or losing the text and having to start over if you app switch. Is that actually happening to a detrimental degree?

Cause I'm not experiencing that. Not to that degree. I even ran some tests to mimic what MRU was describing and could not recreate the problem.

As for battery life, it ain't the best, for sure. And if you're unable to take advantage of the two things that can address the small battery, like quick charge and or wireless charging, then this device unfortunately doesn't sound right for you. Doesn't sound like its worth the tradeoffs for the featured you like. Sounds like you need a phablet.

A promised fix for the ram is coming, but if you can't wait long enough, maybe time to throw in the towel. Or at least try a replacement device. I had to get mine replaced cause of a variety of bugs too. Second unit is much better.

Are you sure you're not micromanaging this ram thing a bit too much? Genuine question. Maybe you can't help yourself but notice it now.
I think there is a lot of this going on.

That was my experience as well

In the end though if you have a phone that does things that bothers you.....get another one that suits your needs better. Seems like a pretty easy fix. There are a lot of great phones out there.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013

I am on my third S6 Edge. Plus, T-Mobile's stores are incredibly incompetent. They wouldn't honor a warranty exchange in the store, especially with a block head manager causing problems himself. I also paid $25 once for a Zagg, then $3 for another, so getting another would be $3. Last phablet I had was a Note 4, but I feel like the iPhone 6+ is the only other option since it's not Touchwiz. Well, bug fixes shouldn't take a month and a half after a phone is out to occur. Instead, carriers need to f off and people need to ensure that by contacting politicians. I have my S6 Edge on sale, but Sprint just got their update yesterday. Still waiting on people's opinions on that to see if Samsung actually did something for once.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I am on my third S6 Edge. Plus, T-Mobile's stores are incredibly incompetent. They wouldn't honor a warranty exchange in the store, especially with a block head manager causing problems himself. I also paid $25 once for a Zagg, then $3 for another, so getting another would be $3. Last phablet I had was a Note 4, but I feel like the iPhone 6+ is the only other option since it's not Touchwiz. Well, bug fixes shouldn't take a month and a half after a phone is out to occur. Instead, carriers need to f off and people need to ensure that by contacting politicians. I have my S6 Edge on sale, but Sprint just got their update yesterday. Still waiting on people's opinions on that to see if Samsung actually did something for once.

Gotcha. Completely understand. It's an expensive product, and you should be wholly satisfied with it.

I hope Samsung pushes these updates soon, too, and to good results.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Gotcha. Completely understand. It's an expensive product, and you should be wholly satisfied with it.

Well, hopefully my phone sells quick then I can get the 6+. Then I'll upgrade to the 6S+ in the fall I guess. I'll miss a crux of the S6 Edge though. I did cover my self by giving info that I could decide to pull the sale at anytime.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

My Wife got the 5.1.1 update already for her Nexus 7 V2. Two days ago. So hopefully the GS6's will be getting them soon.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
My Wife got the 5.1.1 update already for her Nexus 7 V2. Two days ago. So hopefully the GS6's will be getting them soon.

Hopefully, but realistically, Samsung + carriers = bad and long wait.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hopefully, but realistically, Samsung + carriers = bad and long wait.

It was a small update too. Only like 10 MB from 5.1, should be bigger for us 5.0.2 people.
Id just like to get back to 5.1(i had a Nexus 5 w/ it) and be able to respond to notifications from my lockscreen and hopefully 5.1.1 fixes the memory issue and perhaps a better battery life.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
It was a small update too. Only like 10 MB from 5.1, should be bigger for us 5.0.2 people.
Id just like to get back to 5.1(i had a Nexus 5 w/ it) and be able to respond to notifications from my lockscreen and hopefully 5.1.1 fixes the memory issue and perhaps a better battery life.

Who are you with? Well, that sounds pleasing that 5.1.1 works with replying from the lockscreen. But when will Android actually get something as concrete as iMessaging? Like an exclusive app to work as the primary SMS function that's kinda mandatory to use for a stock experience rather than primary OEM messaging unless someone downloads one off the Play Store?

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I'm with TMobile and Android has Hangouts that is a lot like iMessage and you can facetime with it as well.

Hangouts is so bad, Google wanted people to use messenger for sms. I think we need something more like iMessage.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The only gripe I have about Hangouts is when using it for SMS is the pics sent to me don't show up right away but if sent in Hangouts mode they do.
I've used messenger too for SMS. Its not a big deal. But if everyone is using hangouts, It works great. Doesn't Apple force you to use iMessage?
I have a couple friends with iPhones that i use Hangouts with and they dont seem to mind to use it since i dont have iMessage.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
The only gripe I have about Hangouts is when using it for SMS is the pics sent to me don't show up right away but if sent in Hangouts mode they do.
I've used messenger too for SMS. Its not a big deal. But if everyone is using hangouts, It works great. Doesn't Apple force you to use iMessage?
I have a couple friends with iPhones that i use Hangouts with and they dont seem to mind to use it since i dont have iMessage.

But with forcing people to use iMessage + improvements, it seriously became a hit on iOS. Like if I take a screenshot, it's so quick and easy to send it. There is a few second delay with Android and the S6 Edge that annoys me constantly. I don't like how Hangouts merged my Google+ contacts + phone numbers into one list.

I like Messenger, but no floating pop up yet. If they add that + reply from lock screen, then I will replace TW messaging.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I decided to actually hold onto my S6 Edge. The price not be worth the jump to the 6+. I will reevaluate my position once the 6S+ is announced.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU wouldn't say it's small lol.

Lol... Yeah I love the feel and aesthetics - but my software issues (maybe because I have 4 other devices to compare it to) are really ruining the experience for me.

I'm holding onto the S6 Edge until the 5.1.1 update comes out and if I don't get any fix for my issues - then I'll sell it off then.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I got a s6 edge yesterday. I like the phone. The battery of course isnt as good as my iphone 6+. But thats expected with it having a smaller battery.

If you want a device with good battery life than the 6+ 64gb is probably your best bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.