Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Is anyone successfully using a new mac pro (late 2013) with the Philips BDM4065UC via minidp/thunderbolt?

Mine sorta works via HDMI (wake from sleep issues), but not tbolt....D700s..

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Not looking good...guess I'm on the edge. Philips was no help either. Quickly exhausted the troubleshooting at the call center, and supposedly an engineer was to call me....never happened.

Pieterr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Did you select DP1.2 via the menu of the monitor?

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5945/3/philips-bdm4065uc-monitor-review-echt-groot-beeld-aansluitingen

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Finally heard from the Philips engineer. Supposedly Apple's Thunderbolt cable isn't backwards compatible with miniDP so I need an adapter cable. Thunderbolt to miniDP or DP will do. Just ordered one, so I'll know in a couple of days.

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Received a miniDP to DP cable and all is good...running UHD @ 60Hz.

Fjan

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2007
Amsterdam
It works for me too, but I regularly (almost always) have problems waking it from sleep. Power cycling the monitor works to re-establish the connection but it's a pain.

Does it wake up reliably for you?

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
It seems to wake properly (though slowly) about 90% of the time -- only had to force it one or two times so far. I've only been using for 1 day now, however, so that's kind of a guess.

Another thing I noticed is that as soon as I hook my 30" Apple Cinema Display into one of the other Thunderbolt ports/busses, the Philips auto switches, and stays in 30Hz mode :-( In other words, it only seems to want to run in 60Hz if it's the only display....

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
How do you guys find using a 40" 4K display? My 30" 2560x1600 monitor is starting to fail & rather than replace it with a smaller 27" with fewer pixels or a slightly larger 32" 4K with more pixels I wonder whether a 40" would be a better replacement/upgrade for me. It would be physically quite a bit larger but give me more screen real estate & still a higher pixel density than my existing screen. I have been using a 30" as my main screen for >7 years so am not frightened of mammoth monitors (the 30" looks quite normal now:).

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Pretty much the same situation with me. I've used my 30" since they first arrived years ago (has it been 7 years...probably so!). We outfitted a lab with nMPs and Dell UP3214Qs (31"). The text is so small on the 31s at UHD you quickly suffer eye strain. At this point I'm happy with the Philips 40" because it seems like a better balance between resolution and GUI size.

Lemi1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
Ok I've ordered one if these adapters too so thank you for the recommendation.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina, 15-inch, late 2013 model with the Philips BDM4065UC and really loving the resolution, colours, and Realestate. I currently have only tried using the basic HDMI option but am experiencing a sluggish and unacceptable amount of Mouse Lag! ahhh help!!!!. The only way I've managed to avoid the Lag so far is by going in to System Preferences/Displays and changing the Philips BDM4065UC Display settings to "Scaled" and selecting the "Larger Text" option... the issue here being that I don't really want to work with this setting as everything becomes too big/zoomed in and I feel like after forking out $1K I shouldn't have to succumb to this being my only option...

Any advice/insight appreciated :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 7.03.18 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 7.03.18 pm.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 388

tphuff

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
Hamilton, Ohio
Well I purchased the cable (4 cables total lol) and it is still running at 30hz.... I guess I need to wipe the machine and do a fresh install because I can't figure this out. Any pro tips before I do a clean install?

cgmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
You have to turn on DP 1.2 in the Setup menu before selecting DisplayPort in the Input menu. You might need to have both an HDMI cable and the DP cable hooked up at the same time (can't recall now). HTH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.