Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Hey guys!

Yesterday, I've been getting this weird problem of hearing static louder hiss/buzz in my headphones >when I am not touching the Macbook<.

Swapped headphones - nothing. When I remove charger - problem solved.

So, I got a new charger and things went fine for a few hours, but then it re-appeared. Since then, sometimes it goes away, but it doesn't seem it's grounded most of the time.

I am using a grounded Apple made charger. I am not experiencing feeling of electric current when touching the Macbook, just the sound issue. When I unplug the MagSafe, the static sound is gone.

I also discovered that I am able to ground the Macbook through touching of my Wacom tablet.

Please help:)

EDIT: It doesn't effect the in-built speakers, just headphones.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
1. First disconnect the headphones and Reset PRAM.

2. The port might have dust in the them or something. Make sure the headphone's plug end is clean. Also take a toothpick and gently spiral just inside the Mac headphone port (with the Mac off) and twirl it sound just inside the port for one second. Then turn your Mac back on.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
1. First disconnect the headphones and Reset PRAM.

2. The port might have dust in the them or something. Make sure the headphone's plug end is clean. Also take a toothpick and gently spiral just inside the Mac headphone port (with the Mac off) and twirl it sound just inside the port for one second. Then turn your Mac back on.

Thanks, man. I plugged the MacBook into a different power socket and the static was gone, so I plugged it back in where i normally have it and so far so good.

I tried your suggestions and will post if the static re-appears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.