Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hawkeyez2123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2015
That did not work...Is it because my itunes is the most updated version? Is there anyway to downgrade it?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What would happen…

You download a JB app.
You connect your device.
You run the JB app.
Do some stuff when the JB app tells you.
Devce is jailbroken.
Cydia is installed.
JB app says congratulations…you're done.
You quit JB app, disconnect device.
Move on with your life.

Do's
- Do change default passwords if you install SSH
- Do your research on tweaks/apps you want to install
- Do pay the devs for their hard work by buying their tweaks/apps.

Don'ts
- Don't install sketchy repos and/or sketchy tweaks/apps
- Don't install everything you see because you think you might want it
- Don't blame Apple or everyone else but yourself if you install something that forces a restore, wrecks battery life or generally makes your device perform like a pocket calculator.
- Don't mess with anything in the file system or make modifications that you do not completely understand the consequences to.

What would happen to the cellular stuff?
Nothing. Why would jailbreaking affect your 'cellular stuff'? Jailbreaking only provides you with the ability to install non-Apple software and make modifications to the device that Apple does not allow.

If your 'cellular stuff' is affected it's because you did something specifically to it AFTER jailbreaking that messes it up.

There are tweaks out there that purport to turbocharge or make better your cellular connections. As with all tweaks/apps you install at your own risk.

appfan1

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015
I recommend following this tutorial. I used it the other day to jailbreak my iPhone 5 IOS 8.1.2. and it worked perfectly.

The tutorial uses TaiG jailbreak software that supports IOS 8.0 - 8.1.2
TaiG is Chinese software. v1.2.0 is the latest English version and supports up to iTunes 12.0.1
TaiG v1.2.1 supports the newer iTunes 12.1 and is the latest release but from what I could tell only available in Chinese (no English translation).

You may also need to update AppleSync for your currently installed IOS version, if your having trouble installing apps onto the Jailbroken iPhone.

Last edited:

Hawkeyez2123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Thanks

Thanks for taking your time to reply to my thread, it is really appreciated so I wont brick my device. Another question say if you did kill the battery life somehow, would restoring it to factory defaults make it back to normal or would it have already done enough damage

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for taking your time to reply to my thread, it is really appreciated so I wont brick my device. Another question say if you did kill the battery life somehow, would restoring it to factory defaults make it back to normal or would it have already done enough damage
Unless you are specifically trying VERY hard to brick your device it is almost impossible to brick your device by jailbreaking. Even then, you probably couldn't.

This is not like flashing a ROM on an Android device. It's all software based.

Restore and everything is back exactly as if you had never done anything. The only time there MIGHT be something wrong is if the device itself had a hardware problem. And that has zero to do with a jailbreak.

alkalifly

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
You shouldn't have any problems after Jailbreak. If for any reason you need to reset your phone. Make sure you don't use iTunes to reset the phone or update to the latest IOS when prompted to do so.

How to Restore Your iPhone Without Updating

DO NOT follow that wikihow advice if you have a jailbroken phone. It tells you to "erase all contents and settings" which is a big no no for a jailbreak

Do follow the advice that eyoungren gives in the second post. Add to what he said: don't do "erase all contents and settings" for any reason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.