Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
can I use this idea to get Mavs on a 1,1 or is there a different thread for that?
Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 are basically the same, they just differ in firmware and smc version, so this thread applies to the 1,1 as well.

flang

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
the steps in tiamos first post 11/23/13, are they to be performed on the USB boot install Mavs or the existing internal drive?
I guess this methodology requires a formatted drive to work in the MacPro1,1?

Last edited:

gtom410

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2015
there is a homebrew bootloader for OS X 10.9

1. following those steps to make an install drive
http://www.tips-and-tricks-in-mavericks.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/

2. replace boot.efi
boot.efi can be found at System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi and usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

3.insert your board-id into OSInstall.mpkg(please google it)

4.insert your board-id into InstallableMachine.plist(please google it)

5.reboot from the usb drive.

===================
this is a native efi32 bootloader, instead of a CSM loader
it built a thunk between EFI64 and EFI32, forwarding EFI64 call from kernel to EFI32 firmware.
so those programs using EFI runtime services, such as bless, nvram will be run without any problem.

this is a full version bootloader, hibernation, filevault2 are also supported out of box.
===================
source code: http://code.google.com/p/macosxbootloader/
it is built with visual studio 2013 and nasm
Been trying for six days now to try an install either ml, maver or yosim to no avail… using sfott and this boot efi thingy here….. and it's frustrating as hell….

Currently have lion 10.7.5.. the sfott thingy.. this tiamo's boot efi thing… Sfott runs but when it tries to replace the boot efi it says that its not there? copies and makes a patch on the drive but always sticks the default stuff back in because it can't add any of the modified stuff for some reason….

about eady to give up on this crap, because it don't seem to work or the instructions are not clear enough for people to understand.
mac is a 1,1 16 gig ram, 5 tetra, with gtx650 vid to be installed if I can ever get this to work.

Last edited:

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Good evening

If you want I can you give an instructions for use in French for the installation of Yosemite onto a pimp pro 1.1 and 2.1.
Cordially

prusso

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
**Nevermind**

My issue was I downloaded in install files using recovery, but I did not craft an actual install drive. Once I did, it was easy to unlock the boot.efi.

First time trying this stuff...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am slogging through the process if modifying the installer and hitting one jam. The replace boot.efi. Seems simple enough, but either something is wrong on my end or I am not understanding where to go.

I am assuming this replacement is occurring in the install media. I created a Mavericks install USB. I'm pretty sure I created a GUID partition. I let Mavericks download to the drive and pulled it out after the system shut down to restart.

I don't have the standard file path available to me (System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi). What I get on the drive is a folder called OS X Install Data. If I go in there then I see the IntallESD.dmg. I launch that and get the OS X Install ESD. In there is a hidden BaseSystem.dmg.

In that BaseSytem.dmg, I can find the paths to the boot.efi files, but that doesn't seem what others are doing. Is that where I am supposed to be? Even so, I cannot replace the boot.efi, as the file is locked and not able to be opened, even with some of the terminal sudo recommendations.

I am at a loss and about ready to start over. It would be great if anyone has suggestion though.

Thanks!

Last edited:

soular00t

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
Wow, 62 pages later... and i don't see a DOWNLOAD LINK.

I need the direct download link for tiamo's boot.zip.... Why does every website keep pointing me to this obnoxiously long thread?

WHERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK PLEASE??

arivee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Hi! Relatively recent lurker here.

I have a Mac Pro 2,1 and a Mac Air that shipped with Mavericks.

I don't have an Install Mavericks in my Apps folder and neither is it in my App Store purchases.

Hence, my only recourse to download the installer legally was via the instructions posted on Macworld - for macs that shipped with Mavericks.

Like gtom410, around 5 posts above, I tried modifying the OSX Install Data to find that these are locked and uneditable (e.g. oSInstall.mpkg can be copied and the distribution file modified, and replaced - however, you can't put it back in the packages folder - same goes with Tiamos boot.efi - the i386 and coreservices folder are protected. I tried other things like cloning the dmg and changing the file to a R/W - no dice - I could not insert the modified BaseSystem.dmg to the InstallESD.dmg - says the file is too big).

I was doing this when I was trying to follow instructions from LowEndMac and guessed that the author wanted to alter the InstallESD.dmg before creating the bootable installation sub key. I couldn't figure out a way beyond my very meager non existent skills.

Next. I tried to create a proper installation USB - it worked! I had a key which I could format another drive and install Mavericks on it. So far so good. I now tried following the instructions from both the one gtom410 quoted and the LEM article (main point of difference was that Tiamo instructions had you modifying the InstallableMachines.plist but not the platformssupport.plist).

I tried to introduce the changes gradually but netted me one of two responses - one pop up says to clean the disc as the computer cannot read it (at the same time I silently scream back that I'm using an USB and no disc at all!). The second response was no response at all - despite choosing the USB key to boot from the thing would just boot from the HDD.

I even tried reformatting the hard drive - to no avail - it just booted itself into the rescue screen. Based on some of the tutorials I've seen, the install OSX Mavericks that some use are 5+ gigs in size - from the downloaded rescue options (like what I did with my install USB) - the corresponding Install OSX app I got was about 20mb only.

I also tried SFOTT - I thought I pulled it off with a hitch only to find out that nothing got changed. I tried the step by step option and performed the changes manually - still my key would not boot.

Apologies for the very long missive but I would appreciate any help on the matter.

Last edited:

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
I also tried SFOTT - I thought I pulled it off with a hitch only to find out that nothing got changed. I tried the step by step option and performed the changes manually - still my key would not boot.
This problem most likely was first addressed here.

Last edited:

arivee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
This problem most likely was first addressed here.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I tried it on 3 flash drive and a HDD connected to a dock via USB - no go.

I wind up with a flashing folder with the question mark.

I tried setting the lock flag on boot.efi - I still get the FFWTQM.

I tried installing the whole system on the flash and docked HDD - still a no go.

On all the above builds, I used the disk utility method - I still could not get SFOTT or the createinstallmedia terminal command to work.

If makes any difference, I think my InstallESD file is 10.9.5 - I say this because when I click on the about this Mac button (when I installed the whole system on the docked hard drive) - that's the number that comes up.

What's funny is I somehow lost the verbose mode or rather it came on once when I used Tiamos first instructions/files early on in this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I tried it on 3 flash drive and a HDD connected to a dock via USB - no go.

I wind up with a flashing folder with the question mark.

I tried setting the lock flag on boot.efi - I still get the FFWTQM.

I tried installing the whole system on the flash and docked HDD - still a no go.

On all the above builds, I used the disk utility method - I still could not get SFOTT or the createinstallmedia terminal command to work.

If makes any difference, I think my InstallESD file is 10.9.5 - I say this because when I click on the about this Mac button (when I installed the whole system on the docked hard drive) - that's the number that comes up.

What's funny is I somehow lost the verbose mode or rather it came on once when I used Tiamos first instructions/files early on in this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the air is "worthy" of new OS then time to stop reinventing the wheel. Either use a 2.5" drive connected by SATA to USB to the Air or get whatever you need to put 1,1 into target disc mode and run it's HD from the Air.

Install the OS on the air to your drive.

Run the pikeryosefix app from blacksheep666 that contains your needed boot.efi and reboot until the air won't boot from the new install. When this happens it means that it is ready for 1,1.

Reboot from 1,1 and be amazed at all the time you wasted when you could have just snapped your Ruby Slippers together and been done with it.

Reactions: saint322

arivee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
If the air is "worthy" of new OS then time to stop reinventing the wheel. Either use a 2.5" drive connected by SATA to USB to the Air or get whatever you need to put 1,1 into target disc mode and run it's HD from the Air.

Install the OS on the air to your drive.

Run the pikeryosefix app from blacksheep666 that contains your needed boot.efi and reboot until the air won't boot from the new install. When this happens it means that it is ready for 1,1.

Reboot from 1,1 and be amazed at all the time you wasted when you could have just snapped your Ruby Slippers together and been done with it.

Thanks MVC!

Not sure what you mean by "worthy" but, the air I am using is about 2 years old and came with Mavericks.

I'll try the pikeryosefix but I thought that was for Yosemite (I'm trying to install Mavericks on a 2,1). Also, doesn't my docked HDD connected via USB count? It should be the same as "SATA to USB to the Air", yes?

Unfortunately my Ruby Slippers are with the cobbler and I can't find my other glass shoe :p :D

arivee

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Mischief Managed!

FINALLY! I got Mavericks on my MacPro 2,1!

I know I followed Tiamos instructions verbatim. It was fairly simple. HOWEVER, I was doing it on my Mavericks installed MBA.

The kicker was I used a Lion based iMac to format and prepare the install USB. The Mac Pro took the install USB like duck to water. This was the only variable I had - no flashing folder with the question mark, no endlessly looping HDD click or USB read light flashing! It just plain worked - maybe it was because of the papal visit but barring any ecclesiastical explanation - the Lion based iMac formatting was the only difference in my work flow.

Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing - but for anybody at their wits end, perhaps this could be an avenue to explore if you run its too many walls.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Can I use this 32bit boot.efi on Mountain Lion? The instructions aren't very clear for Mountain Lion installs. Everything seems to mention Mavericks, but I prefer Mountain Lion.

Thanks!

eRKut

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2015
Hello
how going is with cpu and gpu upgrade ?
I have mac pro 2.1
2 x xeon x 5365
radeon hd 1900 xt

I can upgrade processors and graphic card
any idea about it ?
thanks

grstillwell

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
I have spent the last week trying to download the efi boot loader loader from Tiamo with no luck. Is there a secret to it
there is a homebrew bootloader for OS X 10.9

1. following those steps to make an install drive
http://www.tips-and-tricks-in-mavericks.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/

2. replace boot.efi
boot.efi can be found at System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi and usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

3.insert your board-id into OSInstall.mpkg(please google it)

4.insert your board-id into InstallableMachine.plist(please google it)

5.reboot from the usb drive.

===================
this is a native efi32 bootloader, instead of a CSM loader
it built a thunk between EFI64 and EFI32, forwarding EFI64 call from kernel to EFI32 firmware.
so those programs using EFI runtime services, such as bless, nvram will be run without any problem.

this is a full version bootloader, hibernation, filevault2 are also supported out of box.
===================
source code: http://code.google.com/p/macosxbootloader/
it is built with visual studio 2013 and nasm

grstillwell

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
hwojtek,

I want to thank you for sending the link for the boot.efi file. My machine (2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with Intel Xeon 5365 4 core processors; ATI Radeon 4770 w/1GB ram; 32 GB ram, is now running OS X Mountain Lion in 64 bit mode. Thanks also to Pike and Tiamo for doing what I could never do.

gr

Reactions: hwojtek

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Hello all. I didn't read through all 62 pages, but I did do a thread search and I think I have this all down.

I have a 1,1 with dual duals, 4GB and an X1900. My 2012MBP and my 2014MBA are both running Yosmite. I planned on install M. Lion because there seemed to be less issues. Couple clarifications:

1. Should I install M. Lion on my MBP with an external FW drive, then follow the steps over at LEM?
2. Should I "create" the install USB on Lion, or M.Lion?
3. It looks as if my X1900 will work, but the VRAM will be wonky, and the acceleration won't work, but I should still get video, right?
4. My 1,1 is basically just a photoshop 6 machine, should I even bother putting M. Lion on it?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
1. to install ML on a computer with a later system you need to create install media, the OS X will not install if a newer version is detected.
2. does not matter. Just install and swap the boot.efi files before putting the disk into the 1,1, pronto, you're set.
3. very basic graphics support, yes
4. will be a nightmare because of 3.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
1. to install ML on a computer with a later system you need to create install media, the OS X will not install if a newer version is detected.
2. does not matter. Just install and swap the boot.efi files before putting the disk into the 1,1, pronto, you're set.
3. very basic graphics support, yes
4. will be a nightmare because of 3.

Thanks. I tried this yesterday, and I forgot to add the edited Distribution file back into the OSInstall.mpkg, so after everything was done, I ended up with the ghostbusters screen. Can I copy the Distribution file somewhere, or do I need to wipe the drive and reinstall?

I did have a few other questions:
5. Does it matter what slot my HDD for M. Lion is in?
6. I found an EVGA GeForce 210 Passive 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA according to another thread here, this will work with M. Lion as long as I upgrade to 10.8.3. (my installer is 10.8.2)

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Can I copy the Distribution file somewhere, or do I need to wipe the drive and reinstall?
I'm afraid you need to reinstall...

5. Does it matter what slot my HDD for M. Lion is in?
6. I found an EVGA GeForce 210 Passive 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA according to another thread here, this will work with M. Lion as long as I upgrade to 10.8.3. (my installer is 10.8.2)

5. Absolutely not.
6. I believe you will survive, especially if you download the 10.8.5 combo update from here first and install it straight after you booted successfully (quite obviously remember about the boot.efi - they will be replaced by the update!)

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I'm afraid you need to reinstall...
5. Absolutely not.
6. I believe you will survive, especially if you download the 10.8.5 combo update from here first and install it straight after you booted successfully (quite obviously remember about the boot.efi - they will be replaced by the update!)
For overwriting the boot.efi, do I need to use terminal and mount the efi partition, or do I just navigate to the two locations on my M. Lion drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.