Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I'm typing this on my brand new rMB that has literally arrived this morning. So far I've experienced no lag or anything like that. I love the keyboard, the trackpad, and the screen. This is definitely 100% not a thread intended to insult the rMB. I love it!

There is however one snag in my otherwise perfect machine. One that I have only just noticed. The bottom left foot doesn't touch the surface beneath when the MacBook is open. When it's closed all four feet do touch the surface, but once it's fully opened they don't.

I've tried four different surfaces just to be sure it wasn't the table I was using.

At first I thought the body must be massively warped or something equally annoying, but I've looked at it from every angle and it seems perfect. Any ideas?

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I've spoken to chat support on Apple's website and they can't fit me in for a Genius appointment for about a week and a half at least, which is probably due the wonderful :apple:watch crowds and the central locations of the stores I can get to.

I'm going to contact the retailer it was brought from this evening, and see what they are willing to do for me.

I just thought I would post on here to see if you guys knew any quick fixes or known issues that I don't. A long shot I know with an obvious hardware body issue like this, but meh. I just got a shiny new toy and I want it to be perfect out the box :p

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
New question, same subject.

Has anyone had any experience with getting a MacBook repaired for unibody deformity outside of the 14 day return window. I'm assuming that it will be covered under the warranty right? And therefore the 14 day window won't matter so much.

I only ask because I can't seem to get a Genius appointment inside the window at any Apple store near where I'll be for the next few weeks.

If it's covered under warranty then all is good. I'll just take it to the Bullring store when I can get in, if not then I'm going to need to formulate a new plan.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
New question, same subject.

Has anyone had any experience with getting a MacBook repaired for unibody deformity outside of the 14 day return window. I'm assuming that it will be covered under the warranty right? And therefore the 14 day window won't matter so much.

Yep - check the MBA forum, this is not uncommon. Usually a genius will try to reseat the bottom panel, for a new machine this is the most common culprit. They'll take a look at and try to solve any problem like this while you are under Applecare.

Also, having owned a couple 11" MBAs in the past, it's quite easy to put these slightly out of alignment - and consequently back into alignment, with a slight twist to the body. I can understand if someone is not comfortable doing this for a new machine, but in my case they would develop a light wobble every so often when out and about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.