Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Japanmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Japan
I am thinking of buying a new iMac 27" 5K
And as I understand it there is no 3.5mm input or mic jack? (Only headphones jack)

Now I currently use GarageBand with my iPad and connect my guitar via irig2. This works well with the iPad but I really want to get into GarageBand on the iMac 5k when I get it

My question is can I use my existing setup (use irig2) or do I need to buy something that uses a USB port to use GarageBand on the iMac 27" 5K ?

(Irig2 doesn't use USB but 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPad)

Thanks in advance

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
I am thinking of buying a new iMac 27" 5K
And as I understand it there is no 3.5mm input or mic jack? (Only headphones jack)

Now I currently use GarageBand with my iPad and connect my guitar via irig2. This works well with the iPad but I really want to get into GarageBand on the iMac 5k when I get it

My question is can I use my existing setup (use irig2) or do I need to buy something that uses a USB port to use GarageBand on the iMac 27" 5K ?

(Irig2 doesn't use USB but 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPad)

Thanks in advance

The jack input on the iPhone and iPad has 4 connections vs 3 (left, right, ground) on the regular one. It also connects to a headset and offers some remote control. AFAIK, the 5k model and any modern iMac only has a small mic located at the top back of the housing. So guess you need some USB input like:

https://gigaom.com/2013/02/09/four-ways-to-connect-your-instrument-to-garageband/

Japanmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Japan
Yes I am familiar with the iRig Pro but I was trying not to go that road if I could because I only bought her iRig2 a few months ago and the iRig pro is about 1.5 times the price of the iRig2. But thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.