Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
I have a MBP on which I run Logitech Media Server to play on my Internet Radio. This all works fine at home.

I'm going on holiday and would like to play music with the radio connecting to my MBP direct (over WiFi). Can I do that?

I'm not sure exactly the terminology but at home everything goes through the ISP provided router so it is all 192.168.0.xxx.

Is it possible to make my MBP broadcast some IP address so my radio can pick it up as where I'm going will not have internet access - I'll only have my MBP and my radio?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
If i understand what you're saying correctly, when you travel you have a device that plays internet radio and you want it to connect to your MB to get the internet and play?

System preferences>sharing>internet sharing <--- check mark "internet sharing" and choose the method of connection you want to use. Choices will be ethernet, bluetooth pan, etc.

If you just need a wifi connection to your MB click on your wifi icon in the status bar then click "create network" and fill out the 3 fields the way you would like. Please note that when you do this your wifi chip is IN USE therefore you cannot connect to a wireless router AND another device at the same time. In that case you would need to use your ethernet port connection if you still need internet on your MB.

Does this help?

:apple:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If you won't have internet access, from the WiFi icon in the menu bar, click on Create Network to create what's called an ad-hoc network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.