Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

analyticsDS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Hi all,

I bought an Apple TV so enjoy HBO Now on the big screen. But I find that unlike my Chromecast which I've enjoyed rock solid stability with for over a year...the AppleTV is rather finicky. It takes a few moments to 'boot' when I switch to its HDMI input. The remote is clunky and easily lost and yes, I know I can use my phone but now as slickly as I can use my phone or laptop with my chrome cast. Also my TV only has two HDMI slots and the AppleTV is eating up the slot my PS4 would normally take up (yes it's easy to switch between the two...but still a minor gripe).

I bought Apple TV solely for HBO Now, but I find I can also stream HBOW Now from my browser with chrome cast. Given all this, is there an advantage to keeping the Apple TV around? For me it will be worth it if it can support better quality streaming.

Is the quality supposed to be much better than Chromecast? Empirically, the quality seems to be a little better but not so much so...The episodes of Newsroom that I've watched look a little sharper but I have no technical info on how good quality I'm getting. My TV is 39" 1080p screen.

Any other reasons to keep it around? The two of us have macs so we thought airplay might be nifty but chrome cast supports browser based streaming which is fairly similar, no?

I have another week before I can't return the AppleTV and I'm looking to see if there's any reason to keep it around vs. return it and maybe put that money towards the new AppleTV that is supposed to come out (if it has some killer features).

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.