Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Will a USB 3.0 hub work ok when plugged into a USB 2.0 computer? I have a mid 2012 Mac Pro desktop running the latest OS. Need at least 7 ports. Currently have a Belkin 2.0 seven port hub, but every so often it seems to drop out, and I have to reconnect the A/C adapter to bring everything back online. Seems like when my computer goes to sleep it no longer powers my devices after waking up, till I disconnect, and reconnect the A/C adapter. Weird.

Last edited:

alexanderyuen

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
I used an Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card on my MacPro 4,1 seemed ok before the machine won't boot up.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Will a USB 3.0 hub work ok when plugged into a USB 2.0 computer?

The USB 3.0 standard calls for backwards compatibility so in theory, yes, any 3.0 hub will work.

That said, when I bought my late 2013 MBP I bought a generic Anker USB 3.0 hub from Amazon and it did NOT work - the issue was that it had issues with Mac OS, so 2.0 vs 3.0 was not the problem, but ALL Macs in general.

I sent it back and ordered an Anker 3.0 hub (no longer available) specifically for the Mac, and have no problems since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.