Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Bath, United Kingdom
Hi, I have received my new Space Grey 1.3GHz last Thursday.

My work set up:
I mainly work from home on an iMAC 27 3.5GHz, 16 RAM, 512 SSD. I typically runs simultaneously, Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), and Windows 7 (on WM Ware) to use Visio and MS Project.
On the move, I had a Retina Macbook Pro (top range build to order, 2013), very very fast. I used the same applications as above. Never had any issues. absolutely flawless. I am on the road 2-3 days a week so I need a reliable machine.

I bought the new Retina Macbook to replace my rMBP as I was really keen by the portability, keyboard, etc .... I have read so many thread on this forum about performance as this was my main concern.

After a few days of use:
Performance: flawless, no issues, in fact I cannot tell the difference between this new Macbook and the rMBP. I have had all my apps and VM ware running with no issues. I don't do video edit so I can't comment on this. But to use productivity app, I am very happy.

Keyboard: I really love it. It feels like surfing the keyboard whilst typing. I even found I type faster. It makes want to type. Weird ...

Screen: no comment. Outstanding.

Battery life: less than my rMBP, but this is very good.

Port: I have never had to have a USB stick, or other USB devices attached to my macbook. And if so, only for 5 minutes to transfer files. I am happy with just one port, USB-c. I bought a nice little USB-c / USB memory stick from Scandisk. Anyway, I usually use dropbox. I do use HDMI a lot for presentation, so I bought the adapter. Oh, well, I just need an adapter from time to time. I can certainly live with this.

Overall, I would just say that this new MacBook is splendid, performs extremely well (WM Ware, Office suite, Photos/edit). It is silent, I love typing on it and it is gorgeous to look.

Charles :)

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hi, I have received my new Space Grey 1.3GHz last Thursday.

My work set up:
I mainly work from home on an iMAC 27 3.5GHz, 16 RAM, 512 SSD. I typically runs simultaneously, Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), and Windows 7 (on WM Ware) to use Visio and MS Project.
On the move, I had a Retina Macbook Pro (top range build to order, 2013), very very fast. I used the same applications as above. Never had any issues. absolutely flawless. I am on the road 2-3 days a week so I need a reliable machine.

I bought the new Retina Macbook to replace my rMBP as I was really keen by the portability, keyboard, etc .... I have read so many thread on this forum about performance as this was my main concern.

After a few days of use:
Performance: flawless, no issues, in fact I can tell the difference between this new Macbook and the rMBP. I have had all my apps and VM ware running with no issues. I don't do video edit so I can't comment on this. But to use productivity app, I am very happy.

Keyboard: I really love it. It feels like surfing the keyboard whilst typing. I even found I type faster. It makes want to type. Weird ...

Screen: no comment. Outstanding.

Battery life: less than my rMBP, but this is very good.

Port: I have never had to have a USB stick, or other USB devices attached to my macbook. And if so, only for 5 minutes to transfer files. I am happy with just one port, USB-c. I bought a nice little USB-c / USB memory stick from Scandisk. Anyway, I usually use dropbox. I do use HDMI a lot for presentation, so I bought the adapter. Oh, well, I just need an adapter from time to time. I can certainly live with this.

Overall, I would just say that this new MacBook is splendid, performs extremely well (WM Ware, Office suite, Photos/edit). It is silent, I love typing on it and it is gorgeous to look.

Charles :)

Nice. And congrats on being the 100th "First Impressions" thread in the Macbook forum. You win an eye roll from each and every one of those reading it!

But happy you like the new Macbook, better late than never, that's what I always say, hehe.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
And thank you for that Charles. Not all of us have the MacBook yet and this feedback is much appreciated.

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
I have used this forum a lot to make a decision, I just wanted to give back some of my time writing this for the community. Glad to be the 100th.

CharlesN,

I, for one, appreciate your review. I'm not one of those people who will video edit on a MacBook. Rather, I need a solid PowerPoint, Excel, Safari, Mail performer with a great screen. Your review is much appreciated

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
Nice. And congrats on being the 100th "First Impressions" thread in the Macbook forum. You win an eye roll from each and every one of those reading it!

Er, no, no eye roll from me. I appreciate the review. I couldn't care less if he was the 100th or 1000th to write a review.

I also found that impression of "surfing" the keyboard, it almost feels like you're not pressing anything.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I agree. Good review. Another point I have noticed is how quickly the machine charges -- even when I do get down to 20% or so it's amazing how fast it'll get back to the 60% or so I need to be able to take it away overnight.

I have (since getting the rMB) also started to use Bittorrent Sync, which is a superb piece of software if you have a desktop as well as a laptop. I have almost all the files I regularly use in a "Filing" folder within Documents. Putting this folder alone into the shared section of the free Sync software means all my files are always with me, and I can seamlessly work on them whatever machine I'm using. Works superbly. I also have the same folder linked to my media computer (a Mac mini), so there's another backup there, as well as all three machines using Time Machine to at least one NAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.