Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katiegreeniz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I'm looking for a little guidance and hoping someone might be able to help.

Backstory-My trusty old macbook (aluminum 2008) crashed the other day. It appears to be the logic board. I had a lot of work pictures on it (over 2k). I made sure to regularly sync my iPhone with the iPhoto library on my macbook. So now I at least have a backup of all those pics.

Now for the question-Is there a way for me to transfer ALL of the photo libraries off of my iPhone and onto my iMac? When I connect it-I am only allowed access to my camera roll.

Thank you!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
However, if those photos were taken with a proper digital camera(rather than with your iPhone), the "backup" you have on your iPhone won't be full resolution.

katiegreeniz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks Bruno & Dave. Some of the the pictures are old scans, some are from an old digital camera and the majority are from iPhones. I'm not worries so much about resolution, just having a copy was all I wanted. I was hoping for a free solution-is that the only way you know of?
Thanks!

MarshaPrin

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Mac

Actually, you can use Photo Stream to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac:
1. Enable Photo Stream on your iPhone. Go to Settings → Photos & Camera. Toggle "My Photo Stream" on.
2. Set up Photo Stream on your Mac. Go to Systems Preferences and click on iCloud. Make sure Photo Stream is checked.
3. Enable Photo Stream on iPhoto. Go to iPhoto preferences and click Photo Stream. Make sure My Photo Stream is checked.
4. Add photos to your Photo Stream. Go to a photo under Photos and select it. Tap Share and then select the iCloud icon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.