Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kapybarus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Hi, last year I bought quite good pc i7, 4gb graphic, 16gb ram, but few months ago I started to use mcbook pro 13. I really like os x and working in it, syncing everxthing with iphone.

Selling pc would be pain in ass, i dont think i wiuld cover costs of mini. What should i do?

Sell pc and buy mini, or use only macbook with pc as backup home pc? I am only worried about destroying battery however if i dont buy mini I would have minex for battery change after year or so. I have monitor, apple keyboard and magic mouse so I could make ot like desktop.

Or use mcbook in work, outside house and have pc with windows at home for gaming, writing, browsing and photo edit.

I tried hackintosh, but couldnt make it work.

Thanks

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Selling pc would be pain in ass, i dont think i wiuld cover costs of mini. What should i do?

Keep the MacBook Pro - if its new-ish its probably more powerful than the current Mini. If your PC has a decent display you can connect the MacBook to that, and even attach a full-size keyboard and mouse if you like.

You won't "destroy" the battery - I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that has spent 99% of its life plugged in and the system is still reporting the battery condition as "normal". Feel free to discharge it and re-charge it every month if you like (I don't bother). I suspect some of those battery stories date from the bad old days of NiCad cells and dumb chargers.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Agreed

Keep the MacBook Pro - if its new-ish its probably more powerful than the current Mini. If your PC has a decent display you can connect the MacBook to that, and even attach a full-size keyboard and mouse if you like.

You won't "destroy" the battery - I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that has spent 99% of its life plugged in and the system is still reporting the battery condition as "normal". Feel free to discharge it and re-charge it every month if you like (I don't bother). I suspect some of those battery stories date from the bad old days of NiCad cells and dumb chargers.

Or get a dock for the macbook so that you can just plug in one cable and get the desktop experience when needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...d-keywords=Henge+docks&rh=i:aps,k:Henge+docks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...=Thunderbolt+dock&rh=i:aps,k:Thunderbolt+dock

Battery will be fine even if it spends most of it's time on charge.

That PC will then just be for gaming before long I'm sure, and it'll be far superior for that.

Kapybarus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
I am questioning this case again. Not sure if I can justify 1k euro on mac mini, but i dont want to use my power pc, but using just notebook is not comfortable. AlwaYs attach cables, wifi is not so good when lid close, storage is just 256 gb. Otherwise it would be ok. :/ if i bought other external storage i would have to connect it everytime i am at home. I take my nb always to work

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Hi, last year I bought quite good pc i7, 4gb graphic, 16gb ram, but few months ago I started to use mcbook pro 13. I really like os x and working in it, syncing everxthing with iphone.

Sell pc and buy mini, or use only macbook with pc as backup home pc? I am only worried about destroying battery however if i dont buy mini I would have minex for battery change after year or so. I have monitor, apple keyboard and magic mouse so I could make ot like desktop.

Or use mcbook in work, outside house and have pc with windows at home for gaming, writing, browsing and photo edit.

I tried hackintosh, but couldnt make it work.

Thanks
It depends on how much you need a gaming Windows PC or not.
If you don't need it, if the games you play can be run on a Mac, and you plan on having a macOS computer as your main computer, you might as well sell the Windows PC. Especially if it comes with Windows 10 Big Brother Edition.
You are right you are going to lose a ton of money selling it, that's one of the "hidden" costs of owning a Windows PC.

As for mini vs mbp. I am using laptops as my main computers for some years now and they do have huge advantages over desktops, even the mini.
Disadvantages too.

First thing first, can you run/play what you want on either a mini or mbp?
If yes and if you don't really need a laptop, just stick with the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.