Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Hi people, just a few quick ones, Firstly, why is it made so there's no red cross top left to close this app, other than having to quit it, why can't it be closed?

2dvmudk.png

Secondly, after what I think is a full scan', it says one file has been found, and shows it on the scanning screen here

t9723p.png

... but in the scan summary below it shows '2' infected, Any ideas why it only shows me the one infected email, not two. And where do I look to find the second one, because that list goes on forever...

24oavdz.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi people, just a few quick ones, Firstly, why is it made so there's no red cross top left to close this app, other than having to quit it, why can't it be closed?
How to Exit after starting up
Secondly, after what I think is a full scan', it says one file has been found, and shows it on the scanning screen here

... but in the scan summary below it shows '2' infected, Any ideas why it only shows me the one infected email, not two.
It may be counting the email containing the link as one and the actual link as the other.

What prompted you to install ClamXav and run a scan in the first place?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
How to Exit after starting up

It may be counting the email containing the link as one and the actual link as the other.

What prompted you to install ClamXav and run a scan in the first place?

Thanks, that's a weird one, because it makes no sense what they say on that thread, There is only one window for ClamXav so there should never be a need to close it. Well, yeh there is, because you can't close it and it's taking up the whole screen. Minimise it even if it's not running in the background, which I don't think it is. I only wanted it for a scan. So unless I open it every time I turn it on, it's not always running, or I don't understand it well enough.

I know after 4 years it's never going to run as good as it did, but it's been behaving strangely and slowed down for a while, plus I've never scanned it for anything since I've had it in 4 years, and thought I'd scan it with this which I hear mentioned alot on here, plus it's in the App Store so thought it'd be worth a look. I would have preferred the AdwareMedic but it doesn't service 10.6.8 SL anymore.

The email it counted as phishing I'm pretty sure is genuine too, so think it's a false reading, by the way

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, that's a weird one, because it makes no sense what they say on that thread, There is only one window for ClamXav so there should never be a need to close it. Well, yeh there is, because you can't close it and it's taking up the whole screen. Minimise it even if it's not running in the background, which I don't think it is. I only wanted it for a scan. So unless I open it every time I turn it on, it's not always running, or I don't understand it well enough.
As it says in that link, if you only want to run a scan then quit the app, press Command-Q, or right-click on the Dock icon and select Quit or use the Menu bar ClamXav > Quit to quit it.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
thanks, I'll have to try some other programme as to it's other behaviour, do you not rate ClamX?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thanks, I'll have to try some other programme as to it's other behaviour, do you not rate ClamX?
I don't use or recommend any antivirus app, as they are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free. If you feel the urge to use such an app, ClamXav is a better choice than some because it doesn't consume significant resources and you can scan when you want, instead of leaving it running.
I know after 4 years it's never going to run as good as it did, but it's been behaving strangely and slowed down for a while, plus I've never scanned it for anything since I've had it in 4 years,
Malware is not usually the cause for slow performance. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.