Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I've seen iOS 7 running on an iPhone 4 and it was incredibly slow. Does anyone know how this can be fixed? Will jailbreaking fix that?

Does anyone else have experience with running iOS 7 on an iPhone 4?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Some jailbreak tweaks might help with some animations and the like. Even without jailbreaking if you reduce motion and reduce transparence in the accessibility settings that can help some as well.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The performance isn’t as terrible if you’re running the latest version (7.1.2). The iPhone 4 benefitted immensely from the 7.1 update. I don’t think a jailbreak will necessarily help.

Flac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
The performance isn’t as terrible if you’re running the latest version (7.1.2). The iPhone 4 benefitted immensely from the 7.1 update. I don’t think a jailbreak will necessarily help.

So wouldn't the iPhone be updated with the latest version 7.1.2 if you try to country unlock it because you would have to restore the phone in the process?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So wouldn't the iPhone be updated with the latest version 7.1.2 if you try to country unlock it because you would have to restore the phone in the process?
You don't need to restore as part of the unlock procedure anymore as I recall.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do you unlock it without restoring it?
When the request to unlock it is processed the phone is unlocked (the unlock isn't on the phone itself really, it's on the server/backend side of things essentially).

Flac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
When the request to unlock it is processed the phone is unlocked (the unlock isn't on the phone itself really, it's on the server/backend side of things essentially).

How do you ask for request to unlock?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do you ask for request to unlock?
There are different possibilities. Usually contacting the carrier to which the phone is locked is the first/main way of doing it. There are also some paid third party services that can do it as well as I recall.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I run iOS 7.1.2 on an iPhone 4. Yes, so laggy, so slow. However not so slow that you want to throw it, just need to wait longer. System integrated apps works fine.

To be honest, the choice to install iOS 7.1.2 is up to individuals. I think it's great because I can use all latest features and many third party apps.

Flac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
I run iOS 7.1.2 on an iPhone 4. Yes, so laggy, so slow. However not so slow that you want to throw it, just need to wait longer. System integrated apps works fine.

To be honest, the choice to install iOS 7.1.2 is up to individuals. I think it's great because I can use all latest features and many third party apps.

Like which apps and features?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Like which apps and features?

For example, the notification centre, control centre, and activation lock.

And I like all flat design, simple, but clear.

The only thing that matters now, is the performance.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iOS 7 is fine on an iPhone 4. Sure animations are a bit jerky, but 7.1.2 performs well enough for what was a 3 year old phone.

I have mupliple family members on iPhone 4's and I was on an iPhone 4 between April 2013 and May 2014 - I was very happy it got iOS 7 so I was able to continue using the latest apps, and I was not left stranded on iOS 6 which quickly became outdated security wise and in terms of look. The trade off in speed I felt was worth it.

With the iPhone 4, make sure to do a settings reset, turn off unneeded location services, background app refresh etc.

Turning off transparency and animations can help but they sure make iOS 7 look a bit ugly!

Last edited:

Flac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Will updating to iOS 7 make flipping pages on iBook slower?

One of the things that ruined my life when I updated the original iOS to a newer version (I don't remember which one it was) was that it drastically slowed down the page flipping, which made reading on iBooks such an unpleasant experience so that I dropped off reading on that app altogether and started reading on lighter apps like Stanza.

But now on 5.1.1 (don't remember if it's the same update that slowed down page flipping on iBooks) it doesn't seem to be slow. I wonder what happened that made it now slow. Only the initial opening of the app is slow but not the page turning.

Anyhow I am afraid the slowing down of the page turning that may happen if I upgrade to iOS 7 would be enough that I will give up reading on iBooks again...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
incorrect, the 4 came out 5 years ago next month

Notice I said what was :p I was talking about 7.1.2, but I've realised that when 7.1 came out it was actually a 3.5 year old phone. I meant to say that " The 4 performed well for a 3.5 year old phone, when I was using it when 7.1 came out".

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Notice I said what was :p I was talking about 7.1.2, but I've realised that when 7.1 came out it was actually a 3.5 year old phone. I meant to say that " The 4 performed well for a 3.5 year old phone, when I was using it when 7.1 came out".

gotcha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.