Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Get the rMB. You'll love it. I haven't missed my ports and have had no issues with processing power.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the comment. I switched to the rMBP today and do notice the bigger screen size. Also, the keyboard feels good, almost familiar compare to the rMB. Probably because I've been using this type of keyboard for many years on my older MBs. Last night I was streaming iTunes on my Apple TV in "extended desktop" mode and noticed that the rMBP seemed a little smoother while streaming to the Apple TV and doing work on the laptop. It's really not noticeable unless you are really watching it and you should really expect this based on the better hardware of the rMBP. This is not be a normal use case for me, but it's could to know that you can do it with a rMB. I'm still on the fence about which one to keep and will probably make a decision next weekend.

I don't know why but the speakers are really good on the rMB and it makes watching videos or listening to music more enjoyable. This is becoming a bigger selling point to me. I have a pair of Beats Studio Wireless and PowerBeats 2 headphones and they definitely sound better than the speakers, but the laptop speakers sound good enough that I don't feel the need to put them on when listening to media. More to follow...

Looking forward to hearing what you end up with. I've been going back & forth between the same Macs, and still undecided myself.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Future proofing depends on your use case.

Can you please tell us, what you are using it for?

The installation speed is slower on the rMB because the write speed of the drive is half the speed of the MacBook Pro.

Vishalca

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
BTW: i bought the 2.7/128 rMBP for $1099 while on sale at Best Buy and the 1.1/256 rMB for $1120 (10% off + $50 student disc).

Is this discount still available? Which coupons/codes did you use? For that price, I would totally take the plunge...

Thanks!

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
Is this discount still available? Which coupons/codes did you use? For that price, I would totally take the plunge...

Thanks!

You can usually get the best buy coupon at usps in the "movers" packet, just have to ask them for it. I actually don't have a usps that close to me so I bought the coupon from eBay for a couple dollars. Got the rMBP 256gb For 1400 including tax

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs

Thanks!

Unfortunately no. It lasted maybe 3 days at Best Buy. If I had the 10% movers coupon at the time it would've been $1099 - 10% or about $990 for a 13 rMBP. Fortunately, I heard about the mover's coupon before I bought the rMP. One of them is going back next week. Just keep checking Best Buy for the sales and keep one of the mover's coupons on hand just in case. Good luck!

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I highly doubt the Pro will lose ports etc. The rMB is a different line for a different customer.

If you think a rMBP is not portable you are very much in the Apple fan club. Try transporting my windows machine. :rolleyes:

Sure have both. The rMB is great. I want one but love my Pro and can't justify both but i'm trying to. :D

turbo87

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
zamboni, curious what you end up with. i am in the same boat. trying out a 13 rMBP and the rMB. My due date is Thursday next week. Man, i thought I was set with the rMBP and then I spend more time with the rMB over the weekend and I keep going back to rMB. On paper the rMBP should be a no brainer, but man am i having problems making a decision :-(

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
zamboni, curious what you end up with. i am in the same boat. trying out a 13 rMBP and the rMB. My due date is Thursday next week. Man, i thought I was set with the rMBP and then I spend more time with the rMB over the weekend and I keep going back to rMB. On paper the rMBP should be a no brainer, but man am i having problems making a decision :-(

I think we're having the same concerns. For $1099, the rMBP should be a no brainer...at least on paper. However, in practical, everyday use the rMB seems to be holding its own. The smaller footprint, speakers and keyboard/trackpad is starting to outweigh the obvious increased power of the rMBP. There is no doubt that the rMBP is faster and can handle more CPU intensive tasks, but for what I am primarily using it for day to day, the rMB will probably work just fine. I'm taking the rMB on a week long trip and I'll see how it holds out under normal use.

I always want to get the best bang for my buck and that usually means a superior machine with the best CPU, the best dispay, the most memory and the fastest and largest HD; however, in this case I may favor the more portable size and speakers with "enough" horsepower for me to get real work done. Plus the rMB has a 256GB HD.

I'll let you know what I settle on in a few days.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Hi all,

I thought I would ask for some advice, as this is clearly the best place to ask; I hope you don't mind.

I have a 1.3 256gb MB on order (about 3 weeks away) and I think the it's size is perfect. But I'm not the richest of people so I want to buy something that has an element of future-proofing to it. So, my questions:

1) Will the 1.3 struggle to play .MKV files or other 1080p film files?

2) Does the 1.3 really lag or is it just the UI issues currently?

3) I'm considering cancelling and instead ordering the rMBP 13 as there are no issues with processor performance and, hopefully, I'd get 4+ years out of it at least. How many years do you think we will be able to get out of the new MB?

4) Is the rMBP 13 easily portable? Do people carry it around and use it in coffee shops (I tend to see just airs)?

Sorry to ask, but I know you will all have far better experience on this than me. FYI - this will be my first Apple computer.

:confused:

As long as the rMB may last you, the rMBP will last longer because:

1) it is faster in every way
2) more ports, so more options to expand. For instance, it supports 2 4k monitors at 60 hz.

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
I chose the rMB over the rMBP13

So I got back from my week long business trip and hesitantly returned the rMBP13 today. I say "hesitantly" because even thought I decided to keep the rMB...it was a hard choice. You could argue that maybe a road trip isn't a fair environment to compare the devices on since the rMB's smaller footprint and lighter weight favor a more mobile environment. But there was a little more to my decision.

First, the smaller profile allowed me to use my laptop on the increasingly smaller tray tables that are on most airplanes these days. The awesome screen quality made watching movies and videos pleasant on the long trips. I usually use my iPhone 6 or iPad Mini w/retina display because of the space available, but not this time. Also, I was able to use it as a laptop with the wifi that was available on the flight and the battery life, in general, was very good. I used MS Word, Mail, some internet surfing while playing a full screen movie in the background. I would just swipe between desktops when it got to the part of the movie that I actually wanted to see. This would've been harder to do on the rMBP13 because of the bigger size. Also, because of the lighter weight it was much easier to carry it around in my backpack all day. I know its only a 1.5 pound difference, but it is definitely noticeable.

In the hotel room, it was easier to handle as well. I did most of my work in front of the TV sitting on the sofa or laying in bed. If I sat at the desk the whole time then it would be a wash on which was better, but since this laptop was so small I just wanted to have it with me everywhere.

In all situations during my trip, it handled everything I did. Whether it was just working on MS Office documents, checking email, surfing the web, watching You Tube videos and iTunes media...it was great. When traveling on airplanes I usually use my Beats Studio Wireless (bluetooth) headphones, but in the hotel room I used the laptop speakers and they easily are too loud for the whole room and the sound quality is great. I did not have any problem with battery life and when I checked the level it was always more than what I thought it should have. To save backpack weight, I may just pack the charger in my luggage from now on.

I know I'm giving up some processing power and about 1.3 inches of screen real estate, but I'm gaining a much more portable device and an extra 128GBs of SSD space. I know the specs on paper show that this machine is slower than machines from a few years ago, but in real world usage, this rMB meets all of my needs.

Reactions: Sech and kanon14

Music Lover

macrumors member
May 10, 2015
If you think a rMBP is not portable you are very much in the Apple fan club. Try transporting my windows machine. :rolleyes:
If you travel a lot between customers on a daily basis and work many hours - YES low weight and a small form factor is important as you also carry other stuff with you.

Even if I'm in good shape and strong (visit the gym on a regular basis) - I prefer looking good when I arrive to meetings. Not loaded with big briefcases and heavy backpacks.
First impression lasts...

And you save a LOT of time at the airport avoiding checking in/picking up a luggage!!!

Lewis841

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2015
As OP, just thought I'd update everyone that I went with a rMB and couldn't be happier!

I still don't think it's as future proof as the rMBP (clearly) but I think that I made the right choice due to 1) As it's apple the residuals will be comparatively better than a non-apple machine in 2/3 years and 2) I'll use it more during that period of time due to it's size than I would the rMBP.

Reactions: kanon14

nc11

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
It's interesting to read these comparisons, however i'm somewhat surprised that the MBA doesn't get a mention.. Would've made more sense to me, if those who value portability and form-factor compare the new rMB against the MBA rather than the rMBP.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It's interesting to read these comparisons, however i'm somewhat surprised that the MBA doesn't get a mention.. Would've made more sense to me, if those who value portability and form-factor compare the new rMB against the MBA rather than the rMBP.

The display kills it for many, especially those dealing or reading a lot of documentation.

Q-6

Reactions: kanon14 and bcaslis

nc11

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Yeah, I get that. It is just odd that anyone in the market for a portable MB does not mention the MBA. Perhaps the OP's main factor is screen, rather than portability, which would clearly explain the rMBP comparison.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you are concerned about having the computer for multiple years (especially 4 years) I'd say hands down get the rMBP. The rMB is a great form factor but the CPU is not the fastest. How long it last is really up to the user in terms of what they find acceptable performance. Some would say it's not acceptable right now. Some would say it would be OK in 4 years. It's a very subjective thing.

If portability is not a primary factor for you, then the rMBP is the safe bet.

I would also recommend this.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.