Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
And for many everyday business tasks, a touch UI is like eating peas with one chopstick.

And those tasks may be better served by a desktop/laptop with a mouse/trackpad.

My point is that for many users, a touch UI is not inherently inferior as a whole like some people here seem to imply, and may even be preferred by those users for the majority of what they want/need to do with a computing device.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Or duel boot - iOS and OS X. Of course, that would probably kill their whole Macbook line so...

Duel boot? Dueling boots?

Photo3_KinkyBootsTour_PhotobyMatthewMurphy.jpg

Who will win?

We don't need a duel boot of iOS and OS X. They can coexist without a duel. Just dual boot them and all is well.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It depends upon one's definition of "everything".

No, the Surface Pro 3 cannot do everything the iPad can do (for what I use these devices for). Yes it can do more in many respects, but there are plenty of things that the Surface Pro 3 cannot do... not due to hardware limitations but because of (lack of) software.

If all one does is surf the web, check email, keep up on social media, then yes the Surface Pro 3 can do "everything" that the iPad can do... heck, even Fisher-Price's "My First Tablet" can do "everything" that the iPad can do. :)

So what do YOU use an iPad for that the SP3 can't do? If you don't mention why you use what you use, then any of us can get away with claiming that a SP3, Ipad, or whatever device does what we use those devices for :)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So what do YOU use an iPad for that the SP3 can't do? If you don't mention why you use what you use, then any of us can get away with claiming that a SP3, Ipad, or whatever device does what we use those devices for :)
For quite a few things, but one of the major ones is using the iPad as a portable podcast studio. I use a Samson Go mic and Boss Jock Studio software. It is an amazing combination... that is not possible on a Surface. The Surface supports the mic but there is no software that is anywhere near as capable and polished as BJS.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
For quite a few things, but one of the major ones is using the iPad as a portable podcast studio. I use a Samson Go mic and Boss Jock Studio software. It is an amazing combination... that is not possible on a Surface. The Surface supports the mic but there is no software that is anywhere near as capable and polished as BJS.

For you the SP3 is not better than an iPad but it's kinda like the whole Mac vs PC debate more than tablet vs tablet. People say Mac's are going to be more art oriented so they will buy a Mac and not a PC. For everyone 90% of the people who don't need niche software and just stick to using a computer for personal and a little productive work the SP3 is still the better option. Now if I was a DJ and needed that program yeah, the iPad might be what I would go with, but with the SP3 I have the option of numerous desktop applications that do pretty much the same thing. You using that software and only being on iPad is more just a personal preference. I could with the SP3 do the same thing just not with the exact same software, so yes the SP3 still can do everything the iPad can do and more.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The flexible touch panel would reportedly have greater accuracy and sensitivity and be able to recognize multiple pressure levels, which could allow for Force Touch.

So by the time this comes out they will be using three different technologies to make Force Touch work in the Apple Watch, MacBook trackpads, and this iPad Pro? That's kind of confusing. But whatever, as long as it works.

I'm assuming this new panel will not only enable pressure sensitivity for Force Touch but also for the rumored pen. In that case, I hope it is VERY accurate and sensitive.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
For you the SP3 is not better than an iPad but it's kinda like the whole Mac vs PC debate more than tablet vs tablet. People say Mac's are going to be more art oriented so they will buy a Mac and not a PC. For everyone 90% of the people who don't need niche software and just stick to using a computer for personal and a little productive work the SP3 is still the better option. Now if I was a DJ and needed that program yeah, the iPad might be what I would go with, but with the SP3 I have the option of numerous desktop applications that do pretty much the same thing. You using that software and only being on iPad is more just a personal preference. I could with the SP3 do the same thing just not with the exact same software, so yes the SP3 still can do everything the iPad can do and more.
Nope. It's not Mac vs PC. It Is tablet vs tablet. But like I anticipated, you characterize my use as personal preference and niche. Some people simply can't accept that their device of choice is not superior for every use case.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Nope. It's not Mac vs PC. It Is tablet vs tablet. But like I anticipated, you characterize my use as personal preference and niche. Some people simply can't accept that their device of choice is not superior for every use case.

I accept this. There are lots of cool apps that have no exact x86 application
counterpart. And the windows store is never catching up. So while I'd admit the surface cannot replace either my laptop or my tablet--it is nonetheless my favorite device. I have made my peace with multiple devices

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX

By saying "my use" means it is your personal preference. I even said 'Now if I was a DJ and needed that program yeah, the iPad might be what I would go with, but with the SP3 I have the option of numerous desktop applications that do pretty much the same thing." For the majority of users though, the SP3 does everything the iPad can do and sometimes better. I have had an iPad, I really liked playing Infinity Blade which is not in the Windows Store but, me not getting a SP3 because it doesn't have that specific game is a personal preference, just like your software. There are other games on the Windows Store that I can play and I can even Install Steam and play games. I am saying just because the one piece of software you use isn't available doesn't mean that what you are trying to accomplish is impossible with a SP3, it just cant be done the way you do it. Apple even has said that the iPad is a consumption device not a productivity device. The SP3 is both.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have stated numerous times here that a "Pro" iPad doesn't need OSX, but needs something "deeper" than iOS in its current form.

The ecosystem for iOS apps is absolutely rich and there is very little stopping iOS apps from being as fully functional as a desktop app. There's enough horsepower in the hardware (potentially even more with an upgraded "Pro" device).

I'm on this boat.

I've found in these forums everyone wants the same thing--a productive Apple tablet--but they ask for it in two different ways:
- A slate, touch-enabled MacBook that dual boots iOS. (I assume they want it to run iOS and its apps as well. Otherwise what would be the point of it being a touch-enabled slate? So it has to dual boot.)
- An iPad with certain added features.

The latter should be doable.
The former, not so much.

If for no other reason, it's because a dual boot would require the device to have two chips--because OS X and its applications run on x86, and iOS and its apps run on ARM. I don't know exactly what that would look like as far as hardware, but my feeling is it would be a monstrosity. Not only that, it would require a reboot every time you wanted to switch from an iOS app to OS X application and vice versa. What a pain. Plus having to attach/detach a keyboard every time... it's essentially like having two devices.

Apple is not likely to release an awkward product like that.

However, they could and might add some productive features to the iPad that would make it not a laptop replacement, but a truer laptop partner.

The usual suspects are:
- Split screen and multiple screen multi-tasking.
- File system.
- And I would add an easy automatic way to sync folders/files with your Mac via home wifi network.
- Plus the pen for writing and creative work, to take advantage of the slate form factor.

Not only is that more realistic, I think once these features are in place, a lot of people will realize this setup suits their needs just fine.

I think the iPad is just in an awkward puberty stage. It was all fun and games before, now it's maturing into a more purposeful machine. It will be what it needs to be, but it's highly doubtful that it will be a Mac replacement.

becneel

macrumors member
May 9, 2015
Coming in late 2015, early 2016.

Start saving up that money people, it's going to cost a fair bit.

leftyMac

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
my guess is that Apple will never release anything dual OS. they will however eventually merge iOS and OS X. all they need is an OS X that runs iOS apps natively. perhaps that's the reason why they introduced Swift to write iOS apps, and maybe they have a plan to integrate swift-written iOS apps in the future OSX. who knows, but dual OS just sucks. OS9/OSX was such a waste of disk space and a huge mess. I doubt they'll make the same mistake.

MrBeestly

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
Possible laptop replacement

If, this can replace my having to take my macbook and iPad mini to school and having to switch between both in research lab I'm all for it. I really like the idea of the surface pro by Microsoft, but hate Microsoft. I had Microsoft based computers for the longest time and had tons of problems with windows and office. I lost tons of data and work multiple times due to word shutting down freezing computer, blue screens of death etc. Jotting down notes in class with a bluetooth keyboard stylus and iPad mini works really well for me in math. science classes in notability, ( that plug in photo option is pretty cool). In scenarios where i need fast word processing and data processing i must use the macbook. A hybrid OS would be perfect. The built in stylus is kind of a needless addition.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
my guess is that Apple will never release anything dual OS. they will however eventually merge iOS and OS X. all they need is an OS X that runs iOS apps natively. perhaps that's the reason why they introduced Swift to write iOS apps, and maybe they have a plan to integrate swift-written iOS apps in the future OSX. who knows, but dual OS just sucks. OS9/OSX was such a waste of disk space and a huge mess. I doubt they'll make the same mistake.

OS X is already touch enabled, and I would say the vast majority of users are on trackpad with gestures etc.

Just have the screen function as the trackpad, moving the pointer with your finger, and nothing about OS X would have to change.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I'd love a 13" iPad!

For sheet music, the iPad is a bit too small. 13" would make the iPad a good size for magazines, comics and sheet music. It would also make it closer to A4 size for us English.

Apple should really have brought one out two years ago. Better late than never.

Tabloid sized iPad would fit exactly well with magazines and comics like you said. In fact, it would cut down on the actual pinch and zooming since the reading material would be close to actual scaled size. It would make it easier for designers to lay out the pages that way in this format.

But yes, they should've brought out that size a year or two ago.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.