Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
Two of my favorite Rolexes, the Milgauss and the GMT.

As much I love the Milgauss, I'll be putting it up for sale soon. I've found that I miss the date complication and a rotating bezel when wearing it. The GMT Master (16700) may go as well. Although it has both the date and bezel, the bezel is not really optimal for timing short events like my Submariner and Seamaster.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Here's one I bought yesterday at an antique shop in the middle of nowhere.

It's an Elgin made for Hayden W. Wheeler in New York. Hamiltons marked for them are fairly well known, but a friend told me that he had never seen an Elgin. I had actually texted this friend when I was looking at it, but thanks to the spotty cell service where I was I decided to go ahead and buy it.

The unsigned glass enamel double sunk dial is typical of other HWW watches. This one is in perfect condition.

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpeg
    IMG_2313.jpeg
    666.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_7614.jpeg
    IMG_7614.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 123

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Hey watch fans, I was looking to find what makes for the original configuration of a Rolex President watch.

I know its a day-date likely in 18 ct gold with president bracelet but what else? A picture would be nice.

I can't seem to find the exact config on the rolex site.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
Hey watch fans, I was looking to find what makes for the original configuration of a Rolex President watch.

I know its a day-date likely in 18 ct gold with president bracelet but what else? A picture would be nice.

Very hard to say without pictures.

I would suggest you go to the Rolex forums and ask there.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
As much I love the Milgauss, I'll be putting it up for sale soon. I've found that I miss the date complication and a rotating bezel when wearing it. The GMT Master (16700) may go as well. Although it has both the date and bezel, the bezel is not really optimal for timing short events like my Submariner and Seamaster.

It sounds like you need a chronograph.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here's one I bought yesterday at an antique shop in the middle of nowhere.

It's an Elgin made for Hayden W. Wheeler in New York. Hamiltons marked for them are fairly well known, but a friend told me that he had never seen an Elgin. I had actually texted this friend when I was looking at it, but thanks to the spotty cell service where I was I decided to go ahead and buy it.

The unsigned glass enamel double sunk dial is typical of other HWW watches. This one is in perfect condition.

That is absolutely gorgeous. How old is it?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

There's a lot of information on this site...

The Complete History of The Rolex President

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana

The original "President" was a 36mm yellow gold Date-Just with a fluted bezel and could be had on a leather strap or Jubilee bracelet. It was given to General Dwight D. Eisenhower by Rolex.

Generically speaking, it is a Day-Date with the hidden clasp bracelet.

See here, here, and here.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
That is absolutely gorgeous. How old is it?

That's actually a really good question.

I just noticed when trying to answer your post that the serial number is out of sequence with other Elgin serial numbers. It's unquestionably an Elgin, but the 6 digit serial number would put it at roughly 1870 and this watch is clearly much newer than that. There's no evidence of the serial number being altered, so I'd guess it's part of the contract agreement with HWW. When I get a chance, I'll take it apart and see if there's a complete serial number hiding somewhere on it. I'm guessing that they just dropped the first digit or maybe first two digits, but I'm not sure what the purpose of that would have been.

In the mean time, from the general styling I'm going to put it at 1900-1910. It could be a little bit newer, but probably isn't much older than that.

Bobby86

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
England
I went to an Art Deco fair at the weekend and picked up this Armani to add to my collection.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 116

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That's a lovely watch ^^
I am getting tempted by a Rolex since I found out my brother in law can get them at cost price. I always thought a Submariner would be well out of my price range but apparently Rolex work on a rule of fifths. A jeweller buys it at cost and times it by 5 so in theory I could get a £6k Sub for £1200. My wife is rolling her eyes even at that price but I think I need to do it. :)

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Who's got a nice watch? Traditional watches only, no smartwatches please.

Beautiful. I was torn between the white and black dial when I purchased my Explorer II. Ended up with the black dial but the white is growing on me.

I was torn between the dials as well. They really are both great in their own way. Thinking about trying an isofrane on it for awhile. Have you kept yours on the bracelet?

With a few more shots.

237cfb60afe639efc95d7688f847fd77.jpg

49d7233924d9a437ac51f1ce480dbcd0.jpg

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I was torn between the dials as well. They really are both great in their own way. Thinking about trying an isofrane on it for awhile. Have you kept yours on the bracelet?

With a few more shots.

Kept it on the bracelet. Bezel shown a bit of wear but the bracelet is flawless. I'm contemplating purchasing a rubberb band for my GMTII - but would also like fit a jubilee bracelet on there for the classic look.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
That's a lovely watch ^^
I am getting tempted by a Rolex since I found out my brother in law can get them at cost price. I always thought a Submariner would be well out of my price range but apparently Rolex work on a rule of fifths. A jeweller buys it at cost and times it by 5 so in theory I could get a £6k Sub for £1200. My wife is rolling her eyes even at that price but I think I need to do it. :)

Dealer cost is ~60% of (not off) the MSRP. It's definitely not 20% (one-fifth). If your brother in law is getting you a brand new Rolex from an actual authorized dealer for 20% of the MSRP, he's probably using someone's employee discount/benefit. Watch dealers (specifically brand boutiques) will give their employees a one time (or a once in a while) severe discount on a watch so that their employee(s) can actually wear their watch(es).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Dealer cost is ~60% of (not off) the MSRP. It's definitely not 20% (one-fifth). If your brother in law is getting you a brand new Rolex from an actual authorized dealer for 20% of the MSRP, he's probably using someone's employee discount/benefit. Watch dealers (specifically brand boutiques) will give their employees a one time (or a once in a while) severe discount on a watch so that their employee(s) can actually wear their watch(es).

He's a regional Director for a chain of jewellers here in the UK and this is what he's told me. I've been through quite a few watch catalogues with him pricing up watches and the Submariner worked out at £1200 with his discount. I think an Omega Seamaster was £780 ish as that was another I liked. I really don't know how it all works to be honest. I know the rule of thumb for secondhand watches is to offer a fifth of what they are worth and he explained it's similar when buying at cost but I will double check with him.

He wears a different watch every time I see him and is given watches to wear by dealers and suppliers, but obviously has to give them back. It seems like my dream job to be honest lol.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
He's a regional Director for a chain of jewellers here in the UK and this is what he's told me. I've been through quite a few watch catalogues with him pricing up watches and the Submariner worked out at £1200 with his discount. I think an Omega Seamaster was £780 ish as that was another I liked. I really don't know how it all works to be honest. I know the rule of thumb for secondhand watches is to offer a fifth of what they are worth and he explained it's similar when buying at cost but I will double check with him.

He wears a different watch every time I see him and is given watches to wear by dealers and suppliers, but obviously has to give them back. It seems like my dream job to be honest lol.

Sorry, but I call BS on this unless is was stolen, and then it would be a steal. Pun intended.

There is no way any AD would do that, muckety-muck or not. Their cost is way more than that. Don't believe me, check the Rolex Forum and ask there. In fact, if Rolex ever found out the AD was selling at cost, since you were so kind to mention it here, they would lose there AD status overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.