Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bduvinmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I drive a 2011 Kia sorento that has iPod and iPhone integration through a cable. If currently has a 30 pin dock connector. Does anyone know if this kind of cable works with the lightning adapter that apple is selling. The cable allows for me to control the iPhone through the installed sound system. Thx.

LaCostaRacer

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
I drive a 2011 Kia sorento that has iPod and iPhone integration through a cable. If currently has a 30 pin dock connector. Does anyone know if this kind of cable works with the lightning adapter that apple is selling. The cable allows for me to control the iPhone through the installed sound system. Thx.

Lots of car makes have the same issue so you are not alone. Apple claims it will be a seamless integration but it will cost you $29 per adapter. I'll need to spend $58 to have my current functionality which is one connector for car and one at home and not have to carry an adapter everywhere I go.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I'm holding off on selling my 4 / buying a 5 until I get this question answered (cept Hyundai instead of Kia). Makes the wait for the adapter to actually come out frustrating as hell.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I'm holding off on selling my 4 / buying a 5 until I get this question answered (cept Hyundai instead of Kia). Makes the wait for the adapter to actually come out frustrating as hell.

Hyundai and Kia are the same company so odds are if it works on the Kia it will work on the Hyundai.

ewoods22

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
I currently sell the Kias and I know exactly what you are talking about. Kia did not make a new adapter to fit the lightning cable. The only suggestion for now would to buy an adapter to plug into the 30 pin connector. I am sure Kia will come out with this soon. I will keep you guys posted on this.

SorentoNation

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
I own a 2013 Sorento and never purchased the KIA cable as the regular USB cable for the iPhone works fine with the UVO system, I just got my new iPhone 5 today and just went out and got a second cable with the lightning port just to leave it in the KIA...

Cheers;

Nick
Admin & Founder
http://www.sorentonation.com

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Lots of car makes have the same issue so you are not alone. Apple claims it will be a seamless integration but it will cost you $29 per adapter. I'll need to spend $58 to have my current functionality which is one connector for car and one at home and not have to carry an adapter everywhere I go.

You don't have to spend a dime, you chose to spend the money on the i5 so therefor you chose to spend $58 to achieve your current functionality.

The wife also has a Kia and we have the same connector so will need an adapter..
Damn I hate apple for not keeping things the same or not giving me something to help make my life easier!

mikalh78

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
Why not use the Bluetooth functionality? I got a Soul and that's all I use and the audio that comes out is superb.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Why not use the Bluetooth functionality? I got a Soul and that's all I use and the audio that comes out is superb.

Which model year do you have? I'm assuming the 12 or 13. My 2010 does not do Bluetooth audio without the use of an adapter.

I'll be getting the 30pin adapter some time today, I hope, via FedEx delivery. I'm going to test out the functionality of it and make sure that the iPod control still works through the stereo controls.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
Which model year do you have? I'm assuming the 12 or 13. My 2010 does not do Bluetooth audio without the use of an adapter.

I'll be getting the 30pin adapter some time today, I hope, via FedEx delivery. I'm going to test out the functionality of it and make sure that the iPod control still works through the stereo controls.

Let us know what you find out. My wife has a 2012 Kia Sorrento and we have been curious about if the adapter will work with the Kia proprietary cable.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Let us know what you find out. My wife has a 2012 Kia Sorrento and we have been curious about if the adapter will work with the Kia proprietary cable.

Finally got my Lightning Adapter via fedex today. Took it out to my 2010 Kia Soul, and tested out the ipod out control via the proprietary cable. Worked like a charm!

I've tried loading pics directly, but it wouldn't let me, so I've linked in from photobucket:

ESP_Print-29.jpg
[/IMG]

&
ESP_Print-28.jpg

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
100%. just posted a quick youtube video about it... http://youtu.be/CsbAE6RkT4Y

I like the red lights in your car. Thanks for posting. Hopefully it will work with a Hyundai too and some Elantra owners will start posting their results. I was waiting for it to come in stores but decided to place an order online instead. I ordered the one with the cable so I don't have to worry about my case.

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I like the red lights in your car. Thanks for posting. Hopefully it will work with a Hyundai too and some Elantra owners will start posting their results. I was waiting for it to come in stores but decided to place an order online instead. I ordered the one with the cable so I don't have to worry about my case.

Glad I could help a few people feel more settled about this. I was a bit worried too! Lol. I should of ordered the one with the cord, in hindsight of course. Might return it for the other one. Glad to know that it works regardless.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the videos man!

That's the same cable my 2010 Elantra has, and while it's not the exact same stereo it's clearly the same "series" as it has pretty much the same display. Tempting to assume it'll work on mine as well... but I might still wait until I see results from an Elantra, lol.

If it winds up not working, I'd probably hang onto my 4, so I definitely don't want to make any decisions before I'm positive.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the videos man!

That's the same cable my 2010 Elantra has, and while it's not the exact same stereo it's clearly the same "series" as it has pretty much the same display. Tempting to assume it'll work on mine as well... but I might still wait until I see results from an Elantra, lol.

If it winds up not working, I'd probably hang onto my 4, so I definitely don't want to make any decisions before I'm positive.

I have a 2012 Elantra and mine will be here Wednesday.

Biyu-wolf

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
I know this is likely an old topic but it worked great at first for me now (I'm using i6 before that I had a 4s) it's "load error" and charges or today "empty iPod" yet iPod was PLAYING MUSIC on its end I think my cat needs a firmware update but Kia says no such thing

I have a 2010 Kia Soul + that dogs are in about half the time it's driven (don't know about dust/fur causing) my 30pin-lightning is the longer cord one and if I'm using the phone as a gps it's generally ok (has charged withought playing audio and given normal loud and low volume options)

If it helps my 6 is setup from the backup of the 4s that I mentioned before but the same things happen with my moms 6 as well so it's not one or another sort of thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.