Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Invisible comments on your invisible question:

What was with that statue/idol that was delivered at the end of the episode and what did it have to do with having to accept applications from black people??

The fake Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce "equal opportunity" ad was a taunt directed at rival ad agency Young & Rubicam for their racist behavior. The way I interpret the scene with the statue, Y&R sent the statue to return the taunt, their message being: shame on SCDP for loving those primitive tribespeople. Meanwhile, the men and women who saw the ad and came to apply could have raised quite a stink if they learned that the ad was insincere or thought the statue meant that SCDP was making fun of them, so Lane had to prevent that by taking resumés. I thought it was funny that all the men had to leave because it was a secretary position!

This was a good episode (or pair of episodes). The scenes when Joan visited the office were great, including how Peggy was so uncomfortable with Joan's baby. Very true to Peggy's character.

chordate68

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Keeping up with the invisible theme....Begin-->
I guess the statue just didn't seem like a big deal to me.
I understant why that because of the fake ad, they had to accept some applications to prevent from seeming racist.

I agree about Peggy. I loved the tension when Pete and Peggy were alone with Joan's baby.
<--End

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This season begins sometime in 1966, so it's likely that the civil rights movement will continue to play a significant part in the story line.

I don't think Paul Kinsey (played by Michael Gladis) is still a character in Mad Men, which is too bad. He was the character with a civil rights interest, who went to the South to register voters. The other employees treated it like a quirk or a hobby of his, which let us see how far those social issues were from the minds of Madison Avenue.

May 8, 2008
Spoiler(s) taken from episodes 11 and 12> I can't help but feel that Peggy's departure and Lane's suicide are a result of the negotiations that delayed 'Mad Men' and impacted its budget. Though I suppose Peggy could reappear later (like Freddy), Lane's situation seems pretty permanent. Nonetheless, I think that these developments have set the show on an interesting course for episode 13 and the sixth season. <

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Spoiler(s) taken from episodes 11 and 12> I can't help but feel that Peggy's departure and Lane's suicide are a result of the negotiations that delayed 'Mad Men' and impacted its budget. Though I suppose Peggy could reappear later (like Freddy), Lane's situation seems pretty permanent. Nonetheless, I think that these developments have set the show on an interesting course for episode 13 and the sixth season. <

I agree. I heard that the network wanted cuts to be made so I feel like they were kind of forced onto the show.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I can't wait for season 5 on disc or netflix. Pretty strange to talk about cancelling a show that has a lot of awards for it. Right now AMC is one of my favorite stations to watch. I hope they don't screw themselves and cancel the show.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I can't wait for season 5 on disc or netflix. Pretty strange to talk about cancelling a show that has a lot of awards for it. Right now AMC is one of my favorite stations to watch. I hope they don't screw themselves and cancel the show.

Unfortunately awards don't equal ratings and networks are out there for the money. It's a shame though, cuz this show is like art to me - I've watched every season 3 times already lol.

I believe it has been renewed for 2 more seasons and then it'll end

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
After 7 seasons, Mad Men's final episode was last night. I thought the ending to Don's story was clever, satisfying, and left room for interpretation, which is ideal.

It felt like Matthew Weiner made something up quickly to resolve Peggy's story, and it didn't ring true, but the other characters' stories all seemed well planned and executed. I can imagine each of the ad agency characters going to work the next day, no longer the team we knew so well, but each on a trajectory that makes sense for them. As if their stories will continue, but just won't be televised.

Hmmm... we'll never know if Don's ditzy but loyal secretary Meredith gets rehired. That's obviously the biggest cliffhanger of all!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
After 7 seasons, Mad Men's final episode was last night. I thought the ending to Don's story was clever, satisfying, and left room for interpretation, which is ideal.

It felt like Matthew Weiner made something up quickly to resolve Peggy's story, and it didn't ring true, but the other characters' stories all seemed well planned and executed. I can imagine each of the ad agency characters going to work the next day, no longer the team we knew so well, but each on a trajectory that makes sense for them. As if their stories will continue, but just won't be televised.

Hmmm... we'll never know if Don's ditzy but loyal secretary Meredith gets rehired. That's obviously the biggest cliffhanger of all!

You and me both. I actually really like it. The subtle smile and then cut to the Coke Commercial. I could actually hear the "humming" sound in the commercial that was happening in the yoga class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.