Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
If the retina mini had come out a year earlier I wouldn't have an iPhone, especially with T-mobile offering free data for tablets. However, I do have an iPhone, as do my wife and daughter, so one plan I am considering is changing to go-phone plans on ATT with little or no data on the phones. I'd love to have just calling/texting on the phones and use cellular iPads for the data.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
If the retina mini had come out a year earlier I wouldn't have an iPhone, especially with T-mobile offering free data for tablets. However, I do have an iPhone, as do my wife and daughter, so one plan I am considering is changing to go-phone plans on ATT with little or no data on the phones. I'd love to have just calling/texting on the phones and use cellular iPads for the data.

I have the 6 and a retina mini. The mini is in my hand right now. I love the smaller size of the 6 and have no desire for the +. Im not trying to go the least expensive route though.

----------

As the topic says. Which would you prefer?

Just an iPhone Plus or an iPhone and an iPad mini?

I have the 6 and a retina mini. The mini is in my hand right now. I love the smaller size of the 6 and have no desire for the +. Im not trying to go the least expensive route though.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I have no use for a phone the size of the Plus. It's too big to be a phone and too small to be a viable tablet. I love the mini for web browsing when I'm away from laptop. It's portable and big enough to actually be useful.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Please read this with the knowledge that this is a very subjective and very personal choice.

I originally got the 6+ over the 6 because I wanted the longer battery life and the OIS in the camera. It was my intention that I would use my phone more and my (at the time) iPad rMini less and maybe skip the iPad altogether eventually...

The problem I found with the 6+ was that I am a phone in my front pants/jeans pocket guy. It was always in the way, or uncomfortable when crouching down or bending over, putting on shoes, etc. In the end, I couldn't justify it, because the screen wasn't large enough to make it that much better for doing things on, reading, web browsing, etc. I was excited for the landscape mode on the 6+ for apps but after a while it actually just became irritating instead, with UI buttons compromised, and the dual column space making it seem actually more cramped that it actually was. I actually found myself using my phone less because using it in portrait mode like one has been used to with the smaller iPhone's was a pain, and using it in landscape mode was unsatisfying compared to the iPad mini.

The iPad mini size hit that sweet spot for me, and has done since the first mini was released. I found the norma iPad to be slightly too large for easy typing and true on the fly one-handed use. So when the new Macbook was announced and I decided to get it to replace my 2011 11" MBA, I used that as an excuse to go back to a similar setup that was my favorite personal gadget setup (11" MBA, iPad mini, iPhone 5) and gave the 6+ to my wife (she's a phone in her purse person, and has always coveted my 6+ anyway) sold her 6 (both gold) and got myself a new SG 6. I also sold my iPad Air 2 and ordered a new SG iPad mini 3, which I am now happily typing this post on.

All this is with the background that the iPad has replaced the laptop form factor in my life for my own personal computing device since March 2011 when I came home from a USA trip with 2 iPad 2's, one for me and one for the wife. They are both still in use as our kids each have one of them now. Gaming, light personal level productivity like budgeting and vacation planning, family calendar and schedules of events, personal banking, email, photos, home videos, social media, Christmas and birthday cards to relatives, the household's music and movie/TV show library consumption, it is the perfect device IMHO. iPhone is nice to just take out of your front pocket and do a quick thing or two with while on the move, but iPad is just better in almost every way for all of the things I mentioned above when on the couch, in the bed, in a plane or train seat, etc.

So - MB for my professional device, iPad mini 3 for my personal device, and iPhone 6 as the ultra portable for both personal and professional use...and as my phone and go to camera. For me, it is the ideal combination.

Obviously not everyone will feel the same!

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
The 6 plus is not the most ideal tablet experience, but it's good enough that it gets the job done. It's not the ideal phone experience either, but it gets the job done. In my opinion, the 6 plus checks off enough boxes to be "good enough" where I find the convenience of consolidation beats having two devices that do a great job in their respective domains.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I am more partial towards consolidation while others are more partial towards specialization.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
As others have said, a personal choice thing here.

For me, I've had a mini since they first came out, first non-retina, then upgraded to the retina, I love the size of the mini. When the 6+ came out this year, I swore I would never get a larger phone because I'm not really a phone person, but the size of this device makes it more like a mini-mini, and that's how I use it.

I love my 6+, but my poor rMini has suffered attention deficit<smile>. I still use the mini, but less and less. Games used to be a big thing with my mini, but I actually prefer the size of the 6+ for gaming, and since most games are available for the phone also, I grab that more often it seems.

The thing I still use my mini for is reading PDFs, the 6+'s screen is just not big enough for me to view some of the scanned articles I read regularly or simple PDF books, the mini is a much better size, so I still do get utility out of my mini that other device sizes can't touch.

The other thing that's been a real surprise is that my Kindle is now also not getting much love at all, that I grab my 6+ to read books. There is a bit of constant scrolling one must do on a screen that size, but the device is so light and easily held and always with me, that not having to carry around my Kindle is just one more bonus with the larger phone.

I'm not sure I'll ever give up the mini, that the phone would ever be able to completely replace it, I think there's room for both. That said, I have offloaded quite a lot of the usage from the mini onto the phone, which I don't consider a phone but rather a smaller tablet that has cellular capabilities (which can be handy to have in your pocket, and something the mini and other tablets always lacked for me).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How about ONLY an iPad Mini with cellular? Again, personal choice, but for the amount of actual phone (voice) usage I do, an iPad with cellular sans phone (and phone plan) works great. Paired with a voip app, I can take & make calls & texts AND have the bigger-than-plus screen when I want to watch something. Earbuds + Mic mitigate the "holding it up to an ear" problem.

I'm pretty much always in a wifi zone but AT&T has a $25 for 1GB or 3 month plan for when I occasionally need to connect outside of such a zone. So for up to $100/yr I approximate the cellular plan, make & take all voice calls & texts in one device.

Obviously, this is not for everyone but it works very well for me: much cheaper, lighter and 2 birds with one stone.

Trozetar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Reading, Pa
Currently I have a 6+ and a retina mini. The mini is my roaming work device while I'm out on the floor at work and my 6+ is my walking hotspot when needed.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I'd personally prefer the smaller 6 and an iPad mini. While I love my 6 Plus it doesn't replace a tablet at all. If i'm on the couch i'd still much rather use the iPad than my phone. 5.5" is amazing when you're on the go but boy do I love my Air 2. But to answer your question i'd much rather have a 6 and a mini than a 6 plus.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
iPhone 5S & iPad Mini 2 here. The mobile browsing experience is totally different and better on the iPad. I will be getting the iPhone 6S and definitely another iPad when the time comes to retire the mini.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I have the iPhone 6 plus and the iPad mini 3. For me the 6 plus is not really an iPad replacement. It's great but I see it as a phone primarily. Before I had the 6 plus I had the galaxy note 3 and note 1. The note 3 was slightly bigger than the 6 plus but I still used an iPad mini as my tablet on the go.

However if I could only have one combo I'd go for the iPhone 6 and the iPad mini.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
My sweet spot is an ipad mini and i have an iphone. The 6 plus is not an ipad replacemen, as has been stated. It's closer in size to the iphone 5 than to the ipad mini. So it boils down to if you want an iphone, ipad or both. The plus is just a slightly larger phone in comparison to the ipad mini.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I went from an iPad 2, to an iPad Mini, to an iPad Air 2. I really enjoyed the size of the Mini, but also appreciated the extra real estate the Air 2 gave me.

I've gone from an iPhone 4, to an iPhone 5, to an iPhone 6, to an iPhone 6+.

All of the devices up until the 6+ were work issued, so I had no real say in them. I just took what was given to me.

When I had the iPhone 6, I really felt it was a nice size: a good update from the 5, but not "too big." Yet I kept finding that I'd use my phone more often than my iPad for casual web browsing etc., and that the screen would frustrate me with its size. I suppose with the smaller phone I was more inclined to go get the iPad and have it nearby, but with the larger screen I found myself relying on the phone more and towing the iPad with me less. The 4.7" screen seemed just big enough to be barely adequate, but I'd often have to turn it landscape or squint to read some sites.

I'm now changing jobs, and knowing that I'll be turning in my phone, I decided to get a 6+ at the recommendation of several trusted friends. The size I thought would be "too big" turns out to not be an issue at all. I'm still carrying the 6 alongside the 6+ for another week, and seeing them next to each other all day long the 6+ doesn't really seem that much bigger. That being said, the 6 feels inadequately smaller next to the 6+. When I have to use it, I feel like I'm using a toy version of the phone.

I carry my phone in my front pockets just fine, but I'll admit that I hate having things in my pockets when I'm not mobile; in the car or at my desk or at home I tend to take out my keys/wallet/phone as soon as possible. I did that even when the phone was smaller. The times I've inadvertently left the 6+ in my pocket it's not been an issue for me. In fact I've been carrying the 6+ and the 6 in the same pocket, stacked, without issue (keys and wallet in the other pocket.)

I'll be turning in my iPad as well, so I've been trying to determine if I want (or need) to replace the iPad. For me, personally... the 6+ has worked just fine as a single device so far.

I don't know that I think of it as "can the phone function as an iPad" because, no, it can't. If I am specifically wanting iPad apps and iPad real estate, then no. I may eventually decide to purchase an iPad.

But can the 6+ be my "one device" because it's available to me all the time, the battery life lasts through all day usage, it doubles as my P&S camera, and the screen is big enough to comfortably use for Facebook/twitter/web browsing/whatever? Yes, yes it can, and it does so much better than the 6 did.

There are a couple of compromises and trade-offs, but having the device that's always with me be the large screen phone has been worthwhile. I've yet to feel as though I *need* an iPad instead. I may eventually, but right now the 6+ functions great as my one device.

But that's just me.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I have both an iPhone plus and iPad mini 3. I also have a surface pro 1st gen and a 17" gaming laptop. The iPhone is with me always obviously and the iPad about 80% of the time. I mostly use my surface because I'm messing with Windows 10 preview.
The iPhone plus is decently sized but the iPad mini is what I use in meetings. OneNote is the best note taking program in my opinion. It works across all my devices.

The iPhone is mostly for texting and browsing the web when I don't have my iPad with me. I went with the iPhone plus because I came from a Note 4 and anything smaller than that is tiny to me. I've gotten used to the larger sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.