Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
So I bought a movie from iTunes on my work mba that is logged into my private iTunes account. HD movie and all, clocked in at 4.5GB. So then I wanted to move that sucker over to my iPhone using a lightning connector, but I can't because my iPhone is synced to my home iMac, and I would have to erase the whole iPhone just to move over that movie. So I start downloading the 4.5GB movie to my iPhone, which takes forever, and keeps on restarting just about when it gets close to finishing. I dont have internet at home atm, so thats why I needed to do this at work, so I can enjoy Star Wars when I get home on my iPhone.

How crazy is this? Shouldn't it be enough that I am using the same iTunes account on both devices, AND that the movie was bought using the same ID...why the rigid linking between a particular mac-itunes-library and the iPhone?!?

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
So I bought a movie from iTunes on my work mba that is logged into my private iTunes account. HD movie and all, clocked in at 4.5GB. So then I wanted to move that sucker over to my iPhone using a lightning connector, but I can't because my iPhone is synced to my home iMac, and I would have to erase the whole iPhone just to move over that movie. So I start downloading the 4.5GB movie to my iPhone, which takes forever, and keeps on restarting just about when it gets close to finishing. I dont have internet at home atm, so thats why I needed to do this at work, so I can enjoy Star Wars when I get home on my iPhone.

How crazy is this? Shouldn't it be enough that I am using the same iTunes account on both devices, AND that the movie was bought using the same ID...why the rigid linking between a particular mac-itunes-library and the iPhone?!?

How crazy is watching a movie on a phone? I mean, seriously. You're going to watch Star Wars on your phone?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
If you authorize all devices (and I assume you have), you could move the movie file to a USB drive then copy it to your home computer. Then, just sync to your phone.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
How crazy is watching a movie on a phone? I mean, seriously. You're going to watch Star Wars on your phone?

I was going to watch it on my iPad, but its only a 16GB, so it can't fit. Anyway, at the the time I did not have a TV at the place I was staying, no Wi-Fi and not my "home-iMac". Needless to say I was bored as hell, and watching Star Wars on my iPhone 6 Plus seemed like pure happiness to me!

----------

If you authorize all devices (and I assume you have), you could move the movie file to a USB drive then copy it to your home computer. Then, just sync to your phone.

Its a work around, but I didn't have access to my home iMac at that time. The biggest problem is the instability and slowness of Internet. When my iPhone was connected to the wifi it never was able to finish downloading 4.5GB until it lost the connection at least ones, and then it needed to start all over. On my work-laptop I could be connected with ethernet, but it still took several hours to download. Its just incredibly cumbersome that I can't just transfer the file from the computer to the phone, its one of those things I assume is just incredibly simple on Android (huge apple fanboy here btw)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.