Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Just got one my self.
It’s actually cheaper to order from AmazonUS and have it sent over to the UK than buy here.
(£130 vs £64!!!).

Good catch! I have just ordered one myself for £61.08 delivered including import duties. I opted for the cheapest shipping rate which is an estimated 9-12 days but I am in no rush as it will be replacing an Inateck KT4004 which is wring just fine but I like the idea of four separate controllers so copying files between USB devices isn't throttled.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm posting a quote here from another thread. People visit this thread often and are sometimes disappointed with issues like drive disconnects. The PCIe card that was selected invariably gets the blame for this whether it's merited or not.

Bone stock USB 3.0 that is provided on many computers have the same issues. I've seen it many times and it can happen on any machine.

I am so tired of my USB 3 drives disconnecting when the nMP goes to sleep. It does not happen every time. Instead if happens randomly a couple of times a day.

I have a 2TB 2.5" USB 3 drive that houses my iTunes library.

In addition I have the following devices connected:
Promise Pegasus R4 (via TB)
Lacie 2Big (via TB)
G-Tech 3 GB 3.5" (via eSATA using Lacie TB --> eSATA hub)

There are no issues with any of the 3 above disconnecting ever. At first I thought it was the USB 3 hub that I was using, but I have the same issue when the USB 3 drive is connected directly to the nMP. This is really annoying because the 3 desktop drives are usually powered off when I am not working on the computer, but I keep iTunes running to serve media around the house. Whenever the drive "disconnects" I have to restart iTunes, even though it shows up again by itself in Finder.

Is this just me, or does this happen to anyone else? I have disabled "put drives to sleep whenever possible".

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm posting a quote here from another thread. People visit this thread often and are sometimes disappointed with issues like drive disconnects. The PCIe card that was selected invariably gets the blame for this weather it's merited or not.

Bone stock USB 3.0 that is provided on many computers have the same issues. I've seen it many times and it can happen on any machine.

I haven't replicated the issue on my rMBP, but I never keep drives connected long enough to be sure. I am certain that this must be a driver issue, but the fact that it happens is really inexcusable, no matter how you look at it.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I haven't replicated the issue on my rMBP, but I never keep drives connected long enough to be sure. I am certain that this must be a driver issue, but the fact that it happens is really inexcusable, no matter how you look at it.

It's also a problem with USB 3.0 electronics in the enclosure. I assure you, some laptop and Mini users are having problems with this as well (including my family members). It's by far not a unique issue.

Last edited:

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Orico PME-4U 5,1

Hi!

So I picked up an Orico PME-4U 4 port USB3 card for my mac pro 5,1 and it isn't picking the device up at all.

I also have a mac pro 3,1 and putting the card in the 4x slot the card works but won't work in the second 16x slot... If i put it in the first slot (double width) the OS gives me a warning USB disabled remove item using too much power...

Whats going on? Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any drivers to install? I thought this card would be plug and play with Yosemite. The card is powered via one of the Sata drive bays.

Its pretty frustrating. I saw earlier in the thread this driver

http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/postdownload?source=dlp

Installed it via kext drop with no difference...

Any help would be appreciated before I send it back.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It sounds like you aren't connecting the supplemental power to the card. Okay, re-read your post. You have it connected to the SATA for power and running Yosemite.

You didn't need to install any kext. That said, I would return it and get an Inateck KT4004 if you'r trying to do this on the cheap.

Go to THIS POST and have a look at the recommended cards. Chose one of these.

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
What is the state of USB 3.0 on Mac Pro?

It sounds like you aren't connecting the supplemental power to the card. Okay, re-read your post. You have it connected to the SATA for power and running Yosemite.

You didn't need to install any kext. That said, I would return it and get an Inateck KT4004 if you'r trying to do this on the cheap.

Go to THIS POST and have a look at the recommended cards. Chose one of these.

Hi, I can't seem to use the BOLDED blue links in your post, using TapaTalk?

Cheers

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HighPoint USB 3.1 next month

I'm not allowed to release too much information right now but here's a teaser. Next month (end of month), HighPoint will release a 2-Port USB 3.1 card. They will also be releasing a USB 3.1 Dual Bay Dock with B/C type connectors.

Now here's the cool part... They are working on a 4-Port and an 8-Port USB 3.1 card with independent controllers for each port. This will be the continuation of the RocketU line.

I go back under the knife in June, once I have recovered I will review their first offerings and post the results here.

ShawnF

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
I'm not allowed to release too much information right now but here's a teaser. Next month (end of month), HighPoint will release a 2-Port USB 3.1 card. They will also be releasing a USB 3.1 Dual Bay Dock with B/C type connectors.

Now here's the cool part... They are working on a 4-Port and an 8-Port USB 3.1 card with independent controllers for each port. This will be the continuation of the RocketU line.

Please come with Mavericks and Windows 7 support!!!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Please come with Mavericks and Windows 7 support!!!

I think it's already supported in Mavericks as it has the ASMedia chipset. It will most likely have a driver for Windows 7, Windows 8+ is probably supported out of the box, but if it's not, it will ship with driver.

----------

Oh man, I wish you a speedy recovery. :(

Thanks, much appreciated.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009

I go back under the knife in June, once I have recovered I will review their first offerings and post the results here.

Thanks for the info. Great if we have more options and these companies continue to bring newer USB 3.1 cards. And wishing quick recovery and good health.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Orico pme-4u

So I tried everything with the ORICO PME-4U. I have two separate power cables which I tried both.

I finally managed to get the card to show up on my 2008 mac pro but it had to be in the double lane slot one, showed up in PCI devices and the usb section showed it was a SuperSpeed USB3. Plugged in the drive it spun up and nothing. The drive wouldn't show at all. Tried in every slot.

In my Mac pro 2010 the card wasn't recognised at all in non of the slots.

So I have returned the card and bought the Inateck KT4004. Just a shame there are no decent cards with independent USB controllers for a good price. I wanted to buy the HighPoint RocketU 1144C but here in the UK they are selling on amazon for £140.29!! Which is $220 just insane no chance I'm paying that for a card.

It annoys me the lack of support. But what can you do the new card will be here tomorrow even the Inateck KT4004 is expensive at $45. Will respond once the card arrives.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The KT4004 says it's incompatible with Yosemite, and I remember something, somewhere talking about that, because basically, it does work under Yosemite.

Does anyone know the official reason why Inateck says the KT4004 is incompatible with Yosemite?

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
The KT4004 says it's incompatible with Yosemite, and I remember something, somewhere talking about that, because basically, it does work under Yosemite.

Does anyone know the official reason why Inateck says the KT4004 is incompatible with Yosemite?

inateck's statement doesn't make any sense at all. the card works in Yosemite. also, it has the exact same USB controller chip as the Mac Pro (Late 2013).

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
inateck's statement doesn't make any sense at all. the card works in Yosemite. also, it has the exact same USB controller chip as the Mac Pro (Late 2013).

Understood, but there must be *some* reason that they specifically say it's not compatible with just 10.10 and higher...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Understood, but there must be *some* reason that they specifically say it's not compatible with just 10.10 and higher...

If you are concerned about it, there are other cards to choose from that have Yosemite-specific drivers.

Personally I use Fresco Logic chipset cards specifically because they use native drivers. That was the whole reason I started this thread.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
If you are concerned about it, there are other cards to choose from that have Yosemite-specific drivers.

Personally I use Fresco Logic chipset cards specifically because they use native drivers. That was the whole reason I started this thread.

Not concerned...just curious. I own the KT4004 already and from time to time have issues with things I plug in not being recognized. I just wasn't sure if any more information about why Inateck says it's incompatible has surfaced.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I own the KT4004 already and from time to time have issues with things I plug in not being recognized.

Wow, yes that would be really irritating.

I had a KT4004 for some time. I used it with iPad, iPhone, a DeLock USB 3.0 hub, a 3.0 Western Digital bus-powered drive, and two 3.0 Western Digital AC-powered drives. All worked fine, but admittedly I never used the KT4004 with Yosemite.

I was forced to upgrade to Yosemite recently, and everything still works fine. I have a different card than you do, but it does have the same chipset and uses the same drivers.

I'm curious what kind of devices you are having issues with. I recall some people having problems with specific-chipset drive enclosures, certain hubs, one specific memory card reader, and the Nikon D800 camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.