Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Apple Adds 'GasBuddy' and 'GreatSchools' as New Maps Data Partners [Updated]

There are things I like better with Google maps to include POIs and street view but it does a horrible job navigating me monthly back and forth from Abilene, TX to Houston, TX. Every now and then I'll attempt to use it and I either end up in the hood, routed through small towns with super slow speed limits, or I'm navigated to a dead end. Haven't had that happen yet with Apple Maps. I really think Google Maps tries too hard to use the shortest route for navigation.

That being said, I hope we'll see Gasbuddy implementation when finding cheap gas on my route. I already use the Gasbuddy app now. Diesel in Lampassas is a good bit cheaper than in Abilene.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Fantastic, now I can drive 10 miles out of my way to save 47 cents on a tank of gas!

Sorry, I guess I don't get GasBuddy. The stations near me are always within a few cents of each other. I get gas where it's convenient, not where it's cheapest.

Be glad you don't live where I live. In my town, within just a few miles, gas prices vary like crazy. Stations right across the street from each other can have prices that are different by 20 cents!

I've got a 30 gallon tank so the savings can add up quick.

And the next town over, a 10 minute drive, it's always, always 25-30 cents cheaper that the cheapest station in this town. It's stupid.

That's the DC area for ya... hard to explain anything that goes on here.

Separate note: For those saying Apple Maps is crap, yeah in the beginning it was but I use it exclusively now and it's much, much improved. I used it to drive across the country, literally (LA to DC) and I didn't get lost, misrouted, dead ended, etc.

I mean come on, I can't be that ONE person who doesn't have any problems. Give it a try, it's much improved.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Be glad you don't live where I live. In my town, within just a few miles, gas prices vary like crazy. Stations right across the street from each other can have prices that are different by 20 cents!

I've got a 30 gallon tank so the savings can add up quick.

And the next town over, a 10 minute drive, it's always, always 25-30 cents cheaper that the cheapest station in this town. It's stupid.

That's the DC area for ya... hard to explain anything that goes on here.

Separate note: For those saying Apple Maps is crap, yeah in the beginning it was but I use it exclusively now and it's much, much improved. I used it to drive across the country, literally (LA to DC) and I didn't get lost, misrouted, dead ended, etc.

I mean come on, I can't be that ONE person who doesn't have any problems. Give it a try, it's much improved.

The cheapest price is a Sonco about ¾ miles from Route 1 on Route 123. I used to live near that area and that indepenant station is always cheapest in that area.

jcbauerca

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Every time there's an Apple Maps article on here, I go on Apple Maps, check a heavily traveled roadway in my hometown that has been changed for almost a couple of years now, and see if Apple Maps has been updated. I have sent feedback to Apple every time, and I think last time I wrote for them to check Google Maps in the area because the roads were corrected in Google Maps almost immediately after the construction was finished. I'm happy to report that today when I checked, Apple maps is corrected! Still not a big confidence booster given that it took so long to fix the area, but it's a positive.

Saw this last week on Telegraph Road in Norwalk, CA
IMG_20181018_161903.jpg

Reactions: pdaholic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.