Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What the heck are you talking about? I never said any of the such. I simply said my iMac doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0. Why are you adding all this extra nonsense about what I believe and don't believe? I am very aware of dongles. My point is if Apple is not going to design their software to run on any Mac running Yosemite then you're asking way way way too much for them to add additional functionality to iTunes to mimic the Continuity function for Windows machines.

I promise I won't put up an argument against it. :p

I don't think it is too much to ask because the competition offers it

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Most of the blame should really be places on the labels. The Verge had a pretty interesting breakdown of the deal between Spotify and Sony Music, which made it pretty evident that the labels are the ones taking a significant cut with no real obligation to pay the artists they represent.

Yup the labels are the devil here, always have been and always will be.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
What a dumb complaint. The people screwing over the artists don't work for Spotify. They work for the record labels. Spotify is turning over 80 percent to the labels, who then go on to screw over their OWN artists.

WhoopTeeDoo! So now you see that the labels have been in bed with Spotify for years already. Right? They both do very nicely off each other. Either way, the artists gets screwed.
Heres a good example for you:

https://twitter.com/jetfury/status/587744520403607552

Still think it's a dumb complaint?

are u working for Tidal?

No?
All the streaming services are a massive con.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Beats's curated content is a joke. It's generally much worse than the user-created playlists of other services.

I hope Spotify does better.

----------

geez apple paid over $3bn for curated Beats music. good job, Tim.

Yep.

Just a few months after Beats bought MOG for $15 million.

For those who don't know, MOG is the basis for the Beats music streaming service, except that they screwed up the UI and removed Artist Radio, replacing it with the lamest curation service of any major streaming service.

But hey, it's not Tim's money. He got his bonus and he feels really hip now. Other heads of companies might have gotten fired for some chummy deal like this....

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I don't think it is too much to ask because the competition offers it

It's too much to ask because not all of Apple's own products are compatible with Continuity. Also that's a special feature that's made for Macs and iOS. If you want that feature get a damn Mac and stop trippin' about what Apple won't do for Windows customers. Think about a Mac user going on a Windows enthusiast forum and complaining that Microsoft won't give Mac users as much love as they do Windows users. That Mac user will get very little to no sympathy and most likely told to get lost.

And the "competition" does not offer it. Those apps you were talking about do not offer the exact same functionality as Continuity. Please don't make stuff up.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
WhoopTeeDoo! So now you see that the labels have been in bed with Spotify for years already. Right? They both do very nicely off each other. Either way, the artists gets screwed.
Heres a good example for you:

https://twitter.com/jetfury/status/587744520403607552

Still think it's a dumb complaint?

No?
All the streaming services are a massive con.

Then blame the labels, not Spotify or Apple.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Beats's curated content is a joke. It's generally much worse than the user-created playlists of other services.

I hope Spotify does better.

----------

Yep.

Just a few months after Beats bought MOG for $15 million.

For those who don't know, MOG is the basis for the Beats music streaming service, except that they screwed up the UI and removed Artist Radio, replacing it with the lamest curation service of any major streaming service.

But hey, it's not Tim's money. He got his bonus and he feels really hip now. Other heads of companies might have gotten fired for some chummy deal like this....

I'm pretty sure the profits on hardware only (crappy headphones you see everywhere) makes those $3B a sweet deal. The streaming service was just a nice addition.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Anyone else trying to enter the streaming music market is like someone trying to outcoke coke. Spotify is now ubiquitous and provides a service that users are happy with and have no reason to move from.

Not all people are happy with Spotify, it's just that it's the only solid choice available. I hate their customer service with a passion and their user interface is complete garbage. I have been dying for good competition to come up so that I can switch. Lack of a competitor is exactly what is making them create garbage and not care about it. There was a time when the same could be said of Internet Explorer or Windows OS as far as being untouchable from a percentage of users stand point. I think even Beats is better than Spotify but am waiting to see what Apple does with it.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It's too much to ask because not all of Apple's own products are compatible with Continuity. Also that's a special feature that's made for Macs and iOS. If you want that feature get a damn Mac and stop trippin' about what Apple won't do for Windows customers. Think about a Mac user going on a Windows enthusiast forum and complaining that Microsoft won't give Mac users as much love as they do Windows users. That Mac user will get very little to no sympathy and most likely told to get lost.

And the "competition" does not offer it. Those apps you were talking about do not offer the exact same functionality as Continuity. Please don't make stuff up.

Yes you lose the ability to handoff calls in return for compatibility with any os, like I said. A worthy trade over low/only OS X compatibility IMO, with calling.

I don't care about apple and microsofts hate. Meanwhile Google (mostly by allowing others to support them through apps) is supporting products from both of them.

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I don't care about apple and microsofts hate. Meanwhile Google (mostly by allowing others to support them through apps) is supporting products from both of them.

Well hardly anybody here cares about Apple adding Continuity functionality for Windows customers but before you pass judgement about Apple offering their media streaming service to Apple customers only you should just wait because I think you're dead wrong about Apple not extending full compatibility to Android users. It wouldn't be to their benefit to ignore the Android platform or limit what it can do with Apple's media service.

Some of Apple's software products makes perfect sense for them to compatible only with their own hardware products but their media streaming service should be wholeheartedly available for Android without limitations. I will say this, don't count on it being for Windows Phone. Most developers stay away from that platform anyway.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Give it up, Apple. At this stage they've completely and irreversibly lost the majority of the streaming market.

Stop.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Ever tried Command+L?

Searches in everything - including your playlists.

Not what I'm trying to do. I want to search within a specific playlist to see if I have a song included in it. This feature USED to exist on the Mac app and they removed it. The feature exists on iPhone.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Not all people are happy with Spotify, it's just that it's the only solid choice available. I hate their customer service with a passion and their user interface is complete garbage. I have been dying for good competition to come up so that I can switch. Lack of a competitor is exactly what is making them create garbage and not care about it. There was a time when the same could be said of Internet Explorer or Windows OS as far as being untouchable from a percentage of users stand point. I think even Beats is better than Spotify but am waiting to see what Apple does with it.
I really like the interface. If you want competition. You can try Tidal. The standard service costs the same. Personally my smartphone and its headphones aren't good enough for hifi to ever be worth it. I think their software and its features cannot hold a candle to Spotify. Spotify just got a lot of nifty little things that make music discovery just great. People that want to listen to the charts and curated playlists should think about moving into the new age. That is what sucked in the past but now you can enjoy the music you really like so much better and not the music some other majority like.

Unlike someone here posted you don't need hardware to get continuity like features. Handoff and remote control works great between Macbook pro and android phone with Spotify. I also don't get why somebody complained about bandwidth caps. With offline playlists most of what I listen too does not need any 3G or LTE. One just has to get the premium service and not the free one.

I will try out the running feature someday. And as far as artists vs streaming goes. They maybe should think about killing the free service. That is the one that just nets no money. On the flatrate I pay much more than I ever spent on music before but I think it is fair. I would not pay more though. If they wanted that I would just listen less to music. It is not that important for me.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I'm pretty sure the profits on hardware only (crappy headphones you see everywhere) makes those $3B a sweet deal. The streaming service was just a nice addition.

Yep :D

Here are some excerpts from Forbes's take:

"Apple is also running against the markets. Innovative but troubled smartphone maker HTC bought a 51% stake in Beats for just $309 million in 2011 but sold back it back in two lumps in 2012 and 2013 for a total of just $415 million. That’s a small profit given Beats had risen to a 53% share of the global headphones market, but then again that market is worth just $1 billion – less than a third of what Apple is looking to pay. Again the numbers don’t add up.

But what really highlights the lunacy of the Beats deal are the alternatives Apple is spurning. As mentioned, if it is about headphones then Monster is the better and cheaper purchase.... Meanwhile if it is about streaming why not aim for the very top since Spotify itself carries a valuation of roughly $4 billion. Apple takes top spot and removes its biggest rival in one fell swoop."

As I said, in some other companies, someone would have lost their job over such a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.