Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Yay! Arrived this afternoon and now typing on it.

Getting used to my first ever Apple laptop! Great so far!!!

Very Cool. Glad it finally turned up. You know, I've had laptops for years and they have always been a pain and full of comprimises, but my 3 week old MBA doesn't act like any laptop I've ever had. I don't feel any comprimise with this. It's a sheer pleasure to use.. :D
Enjoy!

Chrissybear

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Solihull UK
Right on Ron!

This is one hell of a machine - I'd read that it was fast, but it's insane!

I absolutely love it and there's no way I feel any "buyer's remorse" with regard to the rMB or the rMBP.

I have speed, power and portability - one happy bunny!!!

If anyone is in a similar position to me, I can confirm that the maxed out 11" is a beast! :)

(Oh, and the screen is great!)

ATS

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
North Carolina
I purchased my first brand new MacBook Air this past Saturday at Best Buy. It was on sale and I got 12 months of free financing so who can argue with that. My current laptop (I should say former) is four years old and it was time for an upgrade. I purchased a used MacBook Pro last year off eBay so I could see if I liked the environment enough to take the plunge. Well, I took the plunge and I couldn't be happier. There is a small learning curve, but I can always bounce questions off my son as he received a MacBook Pro from my brother when he graduated from high school five years ago. Anyway, I'm happy to say that I've officially joined the MacBook club.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
The "I just bought/ordered/got/shipped my new/refurb MBA" thread, merged

May be ordering a Macbook.

Last edited:

finsfanscott

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
Miami
Just ordered an 8/256 11in Air. I use mine for work and couldn't see making do with just one port. I'd need to run a presentation and would want the flexibility that just isn't there yet with just one port. My wife has a 2013 Air and loves it. Looking forward to it!

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My first Mac was the 11" Air. I kept it for two years and sold it when I got a MBP cause I needed a lot of hard drive space for saving and editing podcasts. I'm now over carrying the MBP around..it's amazing how much difference a pound can make! I no longer do a podcast, so I don't need the space, and almost everything else I do is saved to the cloud in one way or another.

So....I just ordered a 13" MBA with 512GB, which should be enough now, and 8GB RAM. I'm kinda excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Clark

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Mine should be here some time next week from B&H. 2015 13" MacBook Air. i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

This is for work where portability and battery life trump the retina display and lack of ports on the new MacBook which I also considered. But I need to have full USB for using a SATA dock, plus Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet is a requirement for network testing and WiFi dead zones. Otherwise I would have gladly gotten the new MacBook. But it's not worth having a ton of adapters at this point and I will be running virtual machines and likely bootcamp. So the i5 is appreciated.

I have a 2013 13" rMBP personally and it fits my uses very well. I don't need the extra battery for the most part as it's excellent and I love the display. But the slight weight makes a difference in a backpack.

This will be my first MacBook Air however. I've had plenty of MacBooks and MacBook Pros over the years both 13" and 15". So far the 13" rMBP has been my favorite next to my Late '08 MacBook I used for 6 years before giving it to my brother who's still using it. I liked my 15" 2010 but it was pretty a bit large in a bag and the battery was pretty meh.

Attachments

• MBA.png
    MBA.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 209

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Just got a new 11" MBA, have an older 13", wanted something smaller to drag to work and back, tried a Toshiba chromebook 2, and some keys fell off the first week, you get what you pay for I guess... Its going back to Amazon.

Loving it so far :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Just got a new 11" MBA, have an older 13", wanted something smaller to drag to work and back, tried a Toshiba chromebook 2, and some keys fell off the first week, you get what you pay for I guess... Its going back to Amazon.

Loving it so far :)
My Samsung chromebook was great. I used it for 2 years and it worked perfectly. Then I allowed my boyfriend to use it (previously banned) and within 2 weeks he had broken the screen :mad:. I've had to take out accidental damage cover for my MBA as he uses it.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
Ordered a refurb 13 inch 2014 MBA from the Apple refurb store. I recieved an email this afternoon saying it shipped by 2nd day air, so ill have it soon.

Anyone have any bad refurb experiences? I saved $300 going this route and everyone seems to say Apple refurbs are top notch...

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
So my Air came yesterday, and so far I really like it. I do still prefer my 13" rMBP over it, but for what it's doing at work it's better to be lighter weight with a better battery as I'm walking around campus where my rMBP is mostly around home or at school on a desk.

I actually like the silver bezel because it doesn't show all the fingerprints like the glass on the MBP.

I am very impressed with the SSD speeds on this guy though. I'm getting over 1,000 MB/s in Black Magic. 1,100 write and 1,300 read. My 13" rMBP (late 2013) gets around 700 both ways so the Air is even faster.

This is my first (and probably only if they kill it soon) MacBook Air and so far I like the design even if it is straight out of 2010. They've had ample time to work out the kinks.

Attachments

• MBA SSD.png
    MBA SSD.png
    2 MB · Views: 203
Reactions: AppleFanatic10

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Just got me a refurbed (all I buy) 2015 13" Air with the 2.2 i7 and 8GB of RAM; I've never seen a top processor come by on the Air in the refurb store, and it was over $160 less than the Education discount for brand new. I've lived on cloud storage and external drives for a year or two now, so the 256 SSD was worth the savings of several hundred.

Anyhoo... it will power web design-type Photoshop work and PHP/SEO work since my last-gen 17" died... that sweet baby has a new motherboard and will have a new HD but for now it was upgrade time. I'll sell it off once I have it fixed.

I think I'll be fine with the Air. :cool:

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Just got me a refurbed (all I buy) 2015 13" Air with the 2.2 i7 and 8GB of RAM; I've never seen a top processor come by on the Air in the refurb store, and it was over $160 less than the Education discount for brand new. I've lived on cloud storage and external drives for a year or two now, so the 256 SSD was worth the savings of several hundred.

Anyhoo... it will power web design-type Photoshop work and PHP/SEO work since my last-gen 17" died... that sweet baby has a new motherboard and will have a new HD but for now it was upgrade time. I'll sell it off once I have it fixed.

I think I'll be fine with the Air. :cool:

Congratulations - may I ask how you found a refurb? I've been keeping my eye on the refurb store (11 inch in my case) and have only seen 2013 for the capacity I'm looking for.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Congratulations - may I ask how you found a refurb? I've been keeping my eye on the refurb store (11 inch in my case) and have only seen 2013 for the capacity I'm looking for.
I had a habit of checking every day... Never saw what I wanted, then the '15s started showing up, and for a few days a didn't chrck at all. Then suddenly there it was - exactly what I wanted. I hemmed and hawed for about two minutes before pulling trigger.

Just keep checking I guess is the best advice; they had 256 and 512 still there this morning.

Reactions: MacBoook160

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Got my 2015 MBA yesterday morning and spent the day moving stuff over to it from my MBP. 13" is the sweet spot for me, and the form factor of the Air is just so much better than anything else. It feels good to be back with the Air.

Reactions: Melrose

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Got my 2015 MBA yesterday morning and spent the day moving stuff over to it from my MBP. 13" is the sweet spot for me, and the form factor of the Air is just so much better than anything else. It feels good to be back with the Air.

I struggled with myself over the 11, the 13, and the 13 Retina Pro. In the end the extra power on the Retina is much negated by the high resolution that I don't need (much lower battery life as well). When I found out about the twice-as-fast PCIe on the 13 it sealed the deal for me. I love the 11, absolutely love the power packed into the footprint, but the extra R/W speeds are great too. :)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

VNJ85

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015

I just ordered my refurb MBA 13"... arrives Thursday, I am excited to receive it. It seems the Canadian refurb store has several 2015 models... I wonder what's up with that...

$1799 for a 13" MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8g ram, 512 ssd!!!

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
The early 2015 11 inch refurbs are in (about 15% off list) and I am about to pull the trigger, if I can stop second-guessing myself. I'm going to wait until morning, because major internet purchases at midnight are never a good idea.

I was about to ask advice about resale value, should I get this much RAM or SSD, but having lurked in these parts enough, I know the answer is, get more than you need now, or get the base model and use USB drives, etc., and then everyone ends up saying, get what you want, no one can make that decision for you. Which is the right advice, I know.

Fingers it's still there in the am! 14 day returns, right?;)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
The early 2015 11 inch refurbs are in (about 15% off list) and I am about to pull the trigger, if I can stop second-guessing myself. I'm going to wait until morning, because major internet purchases at midnight are never a good idea.

I was about to ask advice about resale value, should I get this much RAM or SSD, but having lurked in these parts enough, I know the answer is, get more than you need now, or get the base model and use USB drives, etc., and then everyone ends up saying, get what you want, no one can make that decision for you. Which is the right advice, I know.

Fingers it's still there in the am! 14 day returns, right?;)

Yup! But you wont return it. Everyone talks about the screen. Bunk! Mine is great. I watched a Netflix movie and it was great. And, SSD is the only way to go imo. I also have a MacMini with a hard drive. I run it off of a 128 SSD and although fast, its nothing like having that built in.
Congrats on your purchase :)

Reactions: MacBoook160

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Yup! But you wont return it. Everyone talks about the screen. Bunk! Mine is great. I watched a Netflix movie and it was great. And, SSD is the only way to go imo. I also have a MacMini with a hard drive. I run it off of a 128 SSD and although fast, its nothing like having that built in.
Congrats on your purchase :)

Thank you! Except now another decision: AFTER the purchase, I discovered a very well-priced fully loaded 2014 (i7, though 1.6 gHz) at Adorama, and now have to consider this entire thing again. Part of me says just stay with the 2015, while the other considers the excellent cost savings, with the only difference being Haswell/Broadwell and Intel 6000 vs. 5000.

I know this is all because I'm lucky enough to have choices, but my head may explode soon.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
The Eagle has landed. THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. I have a wee MBA on my lap right now and if I've learned something from the smarties here, I am now correctly downloading everything from Time Machine into the new laptop. I'd like to say these are my last questions here, but that would be a lie. A couple of quick ones, though. With respect to my stalwart 2011 MBP, should I leave it connected to power, or just shut it down and turn it on occasionally and make sure it's operating?

Another battery question, this one for the new machine - when I'm home, is it better for battery health to keep it on AC power? Or to let it charge out from time to time? From what I've read, keeping it on the AC when I can maintains battery life. Is that true?

And finally (ha!), since it's a refurbished model, is there anything I need to "check" to make sure it's ok? A basic glance shows nothing except shiny goodness.

Now to find an appropriate cover! I'm particular to a few felt sleeves I've seen, though I suppose the sturdy neoprene InCase ones are better protection.

Thank to all of you!

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Found a 2013 base MBA 13 inch for 799 Euro at refurbed Apple store and bought it for my wife (school teacher, uses family mac mini up to now, but wants something more mobile to work on). Should arrive Monday. The best value I can get in Germany at the moment.

Reactions: AlliFlowers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.