Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the the custom build iMac no longer has the option to change the CPU or GPU on Apple website. The only non-retina iMac sold is the one with the 3.2 i5 and the GeForce 755M with no CPU or GPU upgrade options.

This means that either they are planning an update to the non-retina model or that they will simply stop selling the high-end non-retina iMacs (like they did with MacBook Pros). I'm guessing it's the latter.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Definitely the latter. They're fazing non-retina out sooner than I expected. I love it.

If you still want a non-retina high end you could always check the refurbs or b&h or something.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Definitely the latter. They're fazing non-retina out sooner than I expected. I love it.

If you still want a non-retina high end you could always check the refurbs or b&h or something.

I, on the other hand, do not love it.

No more iMacs for me come upgrade time, alas.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the the custom build iMac no longer has the option to change the CPU or GPU on Apple website. The only non-retina iMac sold is the one with the 3.2 i5 and the GeForce 755M with no CPU or GPU upgrade options.

This means that either they are planning an update to the non-retina model or that they will simply stop selling the high-end non-retina iMacs (like they did with MacBook Pros). I'm guessing it's the latter.

How... expected (but a bit early) :)

Although they have, once again, released an iMac with comparatively slow performance due to not having an SSD and are offering a $200 upgrade just to get one. That was something I did not expect, at least for the 27" Retina models.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I, on the other hand, do not love it.

No more iMacs for me come upgrade time, alas.

Refurbs. They're still nice machines.

I'm curious though, why would you rather not have a retina display at the same price?

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Refurbs. They're still nice machines.

I'm curious though, why would you rather not have a retina display at the same price?

I don't need a 5k screen on my home machine. I have a 13" rMBP for work purposes and it's great, but my home machine's 1440p screen is ideal.

One of the main use cases for it is as a bootcamp machine to play games, although it spends the bulk of its time in OS X. At the distance I sit from it, it's 90% of the way to being retina already, so I get very little benefit by going to the retina iMac except having to downgrade to the rubbish AMD GPU and then put up with all the heat, noise and performance throttling that the non-retina one doesn't have. Doubly silly since when gaming it will be downscaled anyway and not running at native resolution.

----------

They're the future. What are you going to buy instead, are you going back to Windows?

For my home box that I have for general use and gaming, yes. The cost of an iMac (when it's time to upgrade) will go into a dedicated Windows box and then some sort of other lower power Mac for browsing and FaceTime etc. I'll set it up so they share a 1440p screen. Not as elegant as the iMac solution, but it will at least be quiet and cool.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You're right. Good find. I'm surprised Mac Rumors didn't report this. Or did they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.