Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Seems like that has already been covered fairly well so far in this thread.

I have yet to read any reply providing a reason as to why this thing exists. So far, the leading answer involves a preference to "fumble around" with a 1 inch screen rather than "fumble around" with a 5 inch screen. Sorry, but I'd much rather fumble around with the larger screen, thank you very much.

And, truthfully, if you are "fumbling around" with a cell phone, you should probably visit an emergency room ASAP because you are likely experiencing some sort of medical emergency.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have yet to read any reply providing a reason as to why this thing exists. So far, the leading answer involves a preference to "fumble around" with a 1 inch screen rather than "fumble around" with a 5 inch screen. Sorry, but I'd much rather fumble around with the larger screen, thank you very much.

And, truthfully, if you are "fumbling around" with a cell phone, you should probably visit an emergency room ASAP because you are likely experiencing some sort of medical emergency.
Seems like you either overlooked the replies with the information, ignored them, or perhaps don't really understand them because it's not something that you would find useful. That's alright, those that do find it useful get it, and that's really what matters.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Try opening it.

That gives the actual temperature and actual humidity numbers? Would information about weather conditions in another location that is of interest be reflected somehow as well? Would it also provide forecast information about weather conditions in the upcoming hours and perhaps even days?

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
That gives the actual temperature and actual humidity numbers? Would information about weather conditions in another location that is of interest be reflected somehow as well? Would it also provide forecast information about weather conditions in the upcoming hours and perhaps even days?

While I understand what you're saying, the exact temperature and humidity is usually irrelevant to all but:
1. Pilots
2. Farmers
3. People that have a car whose antifreeze levels are set to blow out their radiator at 2 degrees fahrenheit, so if it's 3 degrees, they're safe.
4. A small percentage of us.

The original list, and those picking it apart for the people in number 4, above, was for the most of us.

Does it really matter that the temperature, for most cities is for the airport, not for your particular locale? If it's 63 in Juneau, AK right now doesn't mean that it's 63 all over the city. It may be 65 in some spots, and 61 in others, but if it's that critical for the exact temperature, go for it.

However, for me, I'll just open the window, and not rely on my soon to be arriving :apple: Watch for that.

I will concede to you that it's nice to have it for when I travel to look at what the weather will be like, as on my last trip, but that's outside the norm:

SEA: 31F
ORD: 10F (the jetway was like walking into a freezer)
CHS: 71F (the rest of the week was near freezing)

CHS: 42F
BNA: 28F
DEN: 2F (the flight attendant hid in the aft restroom while the service crew cycled out the trash and restocked the drinks)
SEA: 40F

Again, the original list was for those day to day occurrences, not a be-all, end all list for all occurrences.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
While I understand what you're saying, the exact temperature and humidity is usually irrelevant to all but:
1. Pilots
2. Farmers
3. People that have a car whose antifreeze levels are set to blow out their radiator at 2 degrees fahrenheit, so if it's 3 degrees, they're safe.

The original list, and those picking it apart for the people in number 4, above, was for the most of us.

Does it really matter that the temperature, for most cities is for the airport, not for your particular locale? If it's 63 in Juneau, AK right now doesn't mean that it's 63 all over the city. It may be 65 in some spots, and 61 in others, but if it's that critical for the exact temperature, go for it.

However, for me, I'll just open the window, and not rely on my soon to be arriving :apple: Watch for that.

I will concede to you that it's nice to have it for when I travel to look at what the weather will be like, as on my last trip, but that's outside the norm:

SEA: 31F
ORD: 10F (the jetway was like walking into a freezer)
CHS: 71F (the rest of the week was near freezing)

CHS: 42F
BNA: 28F
DEN: 2F (the flight attendant hid in the aft restroom while the service crew cycled out the trash and restocked the drinks)
SEA: 40F

Again, the original list was for those day to day occurrences, not a be-all, end all list for all occurrences.
Yup, micro climates within a small area matter to various people. Weather data comes from way more places than airports as well. Ultimately most or some of thst might not matter to you and many others, but matter to many others still. That's petty much all there's to it.

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
Yes I can. Its this thing called statistics. I don't have to poll everyone. Its all based off of the fact that the only unique think the watch can do is fitness. Only a small fraction of people are into fitness. Everything else you can do on the iphone. The three most popular apps, facebook, youtube, twitter, you either can't use on the watch, or is much easier on the iphone. Therefore its useless to most if not almost all people.
edit: You are wrong about the word most. It does just mean the majority. Almost all means close to 100% which is probably true for the Apple watch but which I didn't want to try to argue.

That's pretty much my experience with it so far. I was on the fence about buying one because I knew that would be the feeling after getting it, but I was curious enough and it seemed interesting enough I thought I'd try it anyway.

Basically, outside of glancing at the time or every once in a while checking notifications simply out of convenience, all it's useful for to me is fitness. It is actually pretty good for that, however for a fraction of the cost you can buy fitness hardware for your wrist that does the job just as good. Everything else, you're going to be using your iPhone for. And since an iPhone is required (and added to that, using the watch drains the phone's battery noticeably faster because of bluetooth), might as well just use the phone. It is in fact easier to look at notifications on the watch, I mean... raising your wrist is slightly quicker than sliding the phone out of your pocket, but you won't be doing anything with the notification. You'll be pulling your phone out anyway so at the end of the day, it's actually an extra step than you would have had.

It's really just an expensive gimmick. Something that you end up just having purely to say "Oh yeah, I have one of those". If it had been priced at $99 to start, it would have been a good value. But starting where it should have ended, it's just not. You can get a $30 watch that you don't have to charge everyday and can tell time just as good, have enough for a fitness band and still have tons of money left to do other things with and have everything that the watch offers. It is a neat piece of tech, but almost everything it can do your phone can already do better, and what it can't... Things that can are had far cheaper.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
That's pretty much my experience with it so far. I was on the fence about buying one because I knew that would be the feeling after getting it, but I was curious enough and it seemed interesting enough I thought I'd try it anyway.

Basically, outside of glancing at the time or every once in a while checking notifications simply out of convenience, all it's useful for to me is fitness. It is actually pretty good for that, however for a fraction of the cost you can buy fitness hardware for your wrist that does the job just as good. Everything else, you're going to be using your iPhone for. And since an iPhone is required (and added to that, using the watch drains the phone's battery noticeably faster because of bluetooth), might as well just use the phone. It is in fact easier to look at notifications on the watch, I mean... raising your wrist is slightly quicker than sliding the phone out of your pocket, but you won't be doing anything with the notification. You'll be pulling your phone out anyway so at the end of the day, it's actually an extra step than you would have had.

It's really just an expensive gimmick. Something that you end up just having purely to say "Oh yeah, I have one of those". If it had been priced at $99 to start, it would have been a good value. But starting where it should have ended, it's just not. You can get a $30 watch that you don't have to charge everyday and can tell time just as good, have enough for a fitness band and still have tons of money left to do other things with and have everything that the watch offers. It is a neat piece of tech, but almost everything it can do your phone can already do better, and what it can't... Things that can are had far cheaper.

Again, you are only speaking about what YOU would do with it and whether YOU find it helpful. Please stop assuming you know how I or anyone else would use it. You don't. Many people don't keep their phone in a pocket or constantly in their hand so it's NOT as convenient to use the phone. You are actually more chained to your phone without the watch than I am with one because I can walk away from my phone and still be contactable via wifi.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Again, you are only speaking about what YOU would do with it and whether YOU find it helpful. Please stop assuming you know how I or anyone else would use it. You don't. Many people don't keep their phone in a pocket or constantly in their hand so it's NOT as convenient to use the phone. You are actually more chained to your phone without the watch than I am with one because I can walk away from my phone and still be contactable via wifi.

You can't argue with or change the mind of a narcissist. Been there, they just won't consider anyone else's possible use.

Better to just add your voice and input to the people that support it. Calendar, notifications, text messages, reminders on your wrist. FOR ME, so much quicker to flip the wrist than pull out the phone.
This morning while my phone was charging in the kitchen and I was breakfasting in the living room watching the news, I had as long text conversation with one of my workers. No need to jump up and get the phone when his texts started rolling in. Dictated and converted to text all my replies without missing a beat. The audio to text conversion works great.

Me, I don't walk around with the phone in my hand like some sort of security blanket.

To be sure, it needs to evolve, but right now, doing everything I wanted and expected it to do.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
You can't argue with or change the mind of a narcissist. Been there, they just won't consider anyone else's possible use.

Better to just add your voice and input to the people that support it. Calendar, notifications, text messages, reminders on your wrist. FOR ME, so much quicker to flip the wrist than pull out the phone.
This morning while my phone was charging in the kitchen and I was breakfasting in the living room watching the news, I had as long text conversation with one of my workers. No need to jump up and get the phone when his texts started rolling in. Dictated and converted to text all my replies without missing a beat. The audio to text conversion works great.

Me, I don't walk around with the phone in my hand like some sort of security blanket.

To be sure, it needs to evolve, but right now, doing everything I wanted and expected it to do.

I rarely put my phone in a pocket either because I don't have one or they are too small and I definitely don't constantly carry it in hand. I guess some people are okay with constantly managing where their phone is to be convenient to use. All day it's IN the pocket, OUT the pocket to look at it, Back IN pocket, Out before they sit down on it and onto the desk/table, pick it up when they need to move and put back in pocket. Out onto the restaurant table, move it out of the way when food comes. Remember to take it with you when you leave. Rinse, repeat. Is that really more convenient than leaving the phone put away most of the time and only take it out when you need to do something too inconvenient with the watch, which is pretty much just surfing the web since dictation works so well for answering texts and emails beyond the quick canned replies? I'm looking forward to less worrying about where my phone is every minute of the day. The watch is going to get me back to the good old days when I had my little flip phone on a clip onto my belt loop, except I won't be struggling to unclip it on order to answer it. I really missed being able to just clip it to my pants and not worry about where it was all the time. Now I'll get that back and much more!

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
1. Pilots
2. Farmers

I will concede to you that it's nice to have it for when I travel to look at what the weather will be like, as on my last trip, but that's outside the norm

Guess I'm in that small group. I check the weather app to see when I should do yard work, e.g. I better mow today because it's supposed to rain tomorrow. And I always check the weather forecast before I travel, which I do a lot for work, so I know what to pack. There are lots of reasons to use a weather app if you have a certain lifestyle.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Guess I'm in that small group. I check the weather app to see when I should do yard work, e.g. I better mow today because it's supposed to rain tomorrow. And I always check the weather forecast before I travel, which I do a lot for work, so I know what to pack. There are lots of reasons to use a weather app if you have a certain lifestyle.
And that's the thing, that group isn't that small at all, as some might think it is, for some reason.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I rarely put my phone in a pocket either because I don't have one or they are too small and I definitely don't constantly carry it in hand. I guess some people are okay with constantly managing where their phone is to be convenient to use. All day it's IN the pocket, OUT the pocket to look at it, Back IN pocket, Out before they sit down on it and onto the desk/table, pick it up when they need to move and put back in pocket. Out onto the restaurant table, move it out of the way when food comes. Remember to take it with you when you leave. Rinse, repeat. Is that really more convenient than leaving the phone put away most of the time and only take it out when you need to do something too inconvenient with the watch, which is pretty much just surfing the web since dictation works so well for answering texts and emails beyond the quick canned replies? I'm looking forward to less worrying about where my phone is every minute of the day. The watch is going to get me back to the good old days when I had my little flip phone on a clip onto my belt loop, except I won't be struggling to unclip it on order to answer it. I really missed being able to just clip it to my pants and not worry about where it was all the time. Now I'll get that back and much more!

Perfectly said.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I understand. This whole thing got out of control, and I think it is my fault for taking the sum of what someone puts in a response to a message I put in as their total response and thoughts on the issue and responding.

I narrowed in on "the exact temperature and humidity" and extrapolated that to mean, "I have to know the exact temperature, to the exact degree, to make my plans", and that is rather obtuse to mock others on my part.

For that, I am sorry.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Claiming that a weather app somehow justifies the existence of the apple watch is pretty funny.

You have no cable? No internet? No phone? No newspaper? No window? You are relying on a $350 watch to tell you the weather? Really?

You have to make a deliberate effort to avoid weather information.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Claiming that a weather app somehow justifies the existence of the apple watch is pretty funny.

You have no cable? No internet? No phone? No newspaper? No window? You are relying on a $350 watch to tell you the weather? Really?

Never said it solely justified the watch, just said it's useful like many of the other apps. Don't get your undies in a wad. The watch isn't meant to replace anything. It just makes things more convenient when the other ways aren't at the time. People like you would only be satisfied if the watch was an insulin delivery system or something, lol.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Claiming that one example of many is somehow solely there to justify the existence of the watch is pretty funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.