Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
It's a great look but does the lid close completely now?

Lid does completely close and stays shut relatively tight with no force, but I am concerned about it popping open in a backpack. Doesn't take much effort to lift it up anymore.

----------

My concern is what if any negative impact that carbon fibre skin will have on the display when the MacBook is closed.

I don't believe that the screen actually hits the skin because of the rubber lip on the edges of the display. Even so, if it were to come in contact I don't see much damage occurring because the display is going nowhere but up up and away from the skin :D

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Which hardshell cases do people recommend? I had one of the Speck matte black ones on my old 2008 and it was great, but I've read that the current ones have a problem with the little tabs breaking.

terencedriver

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
I understand that hardshell cases don't provide protection from drops as they transfer the shock to the laptop without absorbing it.

So, although it seems counterintuitive, softer shock absorbing cases are better drop protection.

Am I wrong?

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I'm in the market for a not too bulky over the shoulder bag to travel with. I need it to be able to hold:

-13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display
-MacBook charger
-SuperDrive
-iPad Air
-Cables

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I understand that hardshell cases don't provide protection from drops as they transfer the shock to the laptop without absorbing it.

So, although it seems counterintuitive, softer shock absorbing cases are better drop protection.

Am I wrong?

I dropped my MBP in a Speck on the driveway, it landed on the corner, and it was fine.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Got my SFBags Bolt today. It's the large size, black ballistic with chocolate leather. It is the first briefcase that I have ever owned that will easily hold 2 laptops, along with a bunch of other goodies. The downside of that is that I need some more organizer pouches for my gear, because it is a big bag. Quality, as always, is first rate and it is an extremely well put together bag. Will have a better review later with more pics.

Does anyone know of any companies that make a similar bag to this one? It looks really really nice, its just that $250 seems a little steep even for something as nice as this. Wouldn't mind something that was a little bit cheaper.

RobKat09

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
15 inch Retina Sleeve

I just bought a 15 inch Retina to replace my mid-2009 15 inch MacBook Pro. I'm looking for something light, with decent protection and space to put my power adapter in. I currently have the equivalent to the current "Incase 15-Inch Sling Sleeve Deluxe" for my mid-2009, but the case is neoprene and the current version is nylon.

I have considered the traditional Incase sleeve, but it seems too lose. The Icon sleeve seems overpriced, too tight, and a nuisance because the magnets turn the display off when you rest the laptop on the sleeve. The "Thule Stravan" has decent ratings, but from very few people.

Looking for reviews on any of these cases, or suggestions for a protective sleeve. Thanks :D

spaceranger

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
Thule Gauntlet 3.0 for rMBP

Got myself the newly released Thule Gauntlet 3.0 for my rMBP 13" 2015.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...auntlet-30-13-macbook-sleeve-_-tl_85854234900

I like the fact that I can use the rMBP while it's inside the sleeve. After a week of use I'm very happy with it. It fits like a glove (no room left inside for my rMBP to move from side to side at all).

The zipper is very solid and doesn't come in contact with the rMBP, so no worries about nicks and scratches.

Highly recommended!

Reactions: Chicki

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Got myself the newly released Thule Gauntlet 3.0 for my rMBP 13" 2015.

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...auntlet-30-13-macbook-sleeve-_-tl_85854234900

I like the fact that I can use the rMBP while it's inside the sleeve. After a week of use I'm very happy with it. It fits like a glove (no room left inside for my rMBP to move from side to side at all).

The zipper is very solid and doesn't come in contact with the rMBP, so no worries about nicks and scratches.

Highly recommended!

It looks like it gives good protection but it's too bulky in my opinion.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
This little guy took me weeks to find in my search for a 13 rMBP and MacBook Air bag. I wanted something small because I'm always running around campus at work (with the Air) and I use it with my MBP at home/school/out and about. Works great and it's super light!

It is the STM Linear. About $60 on Amazon. Sharing this in case someone else is looking for a slim, light, low profile shoulder bag, it's vertical too.

stm-112-026M-11_full.jpg

----------

I'm in the market for a not too bulky over the shoulder bag to travel with. I need it to be able to hold:

-13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display
-MacBook charger
-SuperDrive
-iPad Air
-Cables

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Might try the STM Linear. It's for the MBP, iPad slot (full size) and a pocket for the charger, superdrive, and cables. I might try fitting all of those in mine myself to check. But it should fit just fine while not being very bulky.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Does anyone have any opinions, reviews, or pictures of the twelve south book book case? I'm really thinking about buying it.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
To protect my newly-purchased refurbished 2014 rMBP i5/16/512, I bought these.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-pro-with-13-inch-retina-display-skin
Bestskinsever skin

http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Ultra...&sr=8-2&keywords=macbook+pro+retina+13+sleeve
Inateck rMBP 13 sleeve

I was a little skeptical about the "wet-application" process, but so far I am impressed with the quality of the skin. The beauty of it is that unlike those hard case, it doesn't add any bulk.

I thought about one of those incase sleeve, but I like this sleeve - the price is reasonable, it comes with a small bag for a mouse or charger. The sleeve is sturdier than it looks. The outside felt is fairly thick and inside flannel is mold-proof and doesn't scratch your laptop.

SamuelShand

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Hello, waiting for the new 15" rmbp and want a decent sleeve, dont mind spending a little. the sleeve doesnt have to be ultra robust but just provide it with protection from scratches whilst in my bag of back of the car.
I found the below sleeves and was wondering if anyone had ever seen/used them and if they know how good the fit is and general quality;

Brenthaven 15" Collins Sleeve;
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HD221ZM/B/brenthaven-15-collins-sleeve?

Thule Stravan Sleeve for MacBook;
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HD149ZM/A/thule-stravan-sleeve-for-macbook?

what i am really looking for is a snug sleeve which like the above 2 has another compartment which doesnt add too much bulk to the overall sleeve. if anyone has some experience with the above 2 please let me know or if you know of any other decent similiar snug sleeves then I am all ears.

Thank you.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Hello, waiting for the new 15" rmbp and want a decent sleeve, dont mind spending a little. the sleeve doesnt have to be ultra robust but just provide it with protection from scratches whilst in my bag of back of the car.

I found the below sleeves and was wondering if anyone had ever seen/used them and if they know how good the fit is and general quality;

what i am really looking for is a snug sleeve which like the above 2 has another compartment which doesnt add too much bulk to the overall sleeve. if anyone has some experience with the above 2 please let me know or if you know of any other decent similiar snug sleeves then I am all ears.

Thank you.

I have the Thule for my 13" rmbp and while I wouldn't exactly say it's a form fitting snug fit, I also wouldn't say it's loosy goosey fit either. It's a nice sleeve (as all the five star reviews in the apple star will attest too) to put the laptop in and carry around protected somewhat but there is a little give. With that said I wanted a snuggier form fitting sleeve to put the rmbp in and then to put the whole thing into another brief's laptop pocket so I got the laptop sleevecase from sfbags.com and the sleeve fits like a glove. The sleevecase was pricier but well worth it. I would say the Thule and the sfbag sleevecase both have their uses.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I bought the Thule Strava sleeve last night. I fell in love with it at the Apple store while getting my iPad battery replaced. I test fit it with a new rMBR (mine will be here tomorrow!) and my iPad 3 and the fit was good.

But once I got it home, I realized I wanted a sleeve to put in my backpack for bike commuting. I don't do this every day, and the likelihood of carrying both the laptop AND the iPad at once on a bike is even less. I currently have a Brenthaven case that will fit both and has a handle, that's my everyday case.

So I think I'm going to return the Thule and look for something a little less expensive for the backpack.

The Incase Icon sleeve is gorgeous!!! But with a price to match.

A page or so ago, someone had posted a link to an Incase sleeve on Amazon with a small outside pocket, but it was white. It looked nice, but white won't do. I think it was discontinued as I don't see it on the Incase site.

Any thoughts on something in the $20-$30 range that is just a form fitting sleeve for scratch protection in a backpack? A small pocket would be a plus.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I apologize in advance for this. Since this is a 101 page thread I just wanted to ask.. I just got a 15 MBP. I need a backpack that will house my MBP as well as leave room for charger and maybe a few other small items. Can anyone recommend one that offers decent protection?

RobKat09

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015

Thank you.

I just received my new 15 inch Tuesday, and needed the same type of protection. A sleeve with a pocket that is not too lose, or bulky. After a bunch of research and driving to a few Apple Stores, I decided on the Thule Stravan.

It is sleek, has a soft interior, and has plenty of padding especially around the edges. I had an Incase sleeve for my old MacBook Pro, but from what I read (and felt in store), the Incase quality has declined. The traditional neoprene cases by Incase are way too loose and have poor padding around the edges. I also passed on the Incase Icon sleeve. I read it can run too tight, and the battery mechanism will turn off your display if you rest your open computer on your sleeve (which I do ALL the time). With a price tag like that, I would have hoped for more.

Hope this helps!

SamuelShand

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I just received my new 15 inch Tuesday, and needed the same type of protection. A sleeve with a pocket that is not too lose, or bulky. After a bunch of research and driving to a few Apple Stores, I decided on the Thule Stravan.

It is sleek, has a soft interior, and has plenty of padding especially around the edges. I had an Incase sleeve for my old MacBook Pro, but from what I read (and felt in store), the Incase quality has declined. The traditional neoprene cases by Incase are way too loose and have poor padding around the edges. I also passed on the Incase Icon sleeve. I read it can run too tight, and the battery mechanism will turn off your display if you rest your open computer on your sleeve (which I do ALL the time). With a price tag like that, I would have hoped for more.

Hope this helps!

thank you for your response and thank you to everyone else who responded, much appreciated.

I was looking at the thule, i do prefer it over the brenthaven TBH.
My new rmbp was delivered yesterday so need to sort out a sleeve asap.
Okay before I take the plunge and order the Thule, just to clarify, it is a snug fit right?
Thank you in advance!

SamuelShand

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
nvm, spoke to an apple person and the thule is supposedly a very nice fit. have ordered.
Will let you all know my thoughts once i receive.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
thank you for your response and thank you to everyone else who responded, much appreciated.

I was looking at the thule, i do prefer it over the brenthaven TBH.
My new rmbp was delivered yesterday so need to sort out a sleeve asap.
Okay before I take the plunge and order the Thule, just to clarify, it is a snug fit right?
Thank you in advance!

The Thule fits nice. I'm returning mine though, as I will only need a sleeve when I carry it in my backpack.

I've ordered a Radtech Radsleevz, which has no padding but should work find for what I need it for. I have one on my old 40gb iPod and always loved it.

Though.... I'm not going to return the Thule until I see the Radtech.

BTW my new rMBP SWIMS in my unibody Brenthaven case!

RobKat09

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
nvm, spoke to an apple person and the thule is supposedly a very nice fit. have ordered.
Will let you all know my thoughts once i receive.

I think the fit is great! Definitely snugger than the current Incases on the market. It looks a little larger than the actual MacBook Pro, but it has thick padding and plenty of coverage around the zipper to avoid contact with the aluminum.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! :)

SamuelShand

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
got my thule straven sleeve today - fits very well, not too loose but not too tight and the extra compartment at the front is definitely big enough with enough give for the necessity accessories.

I highly recommend.

thanks to all for the advice.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
Hello, all

I am going to get a new MBP 15 in the next weeks or two. I wanted to ask if you can recommend the following (I am totally new to Mac system):
1. Something to protect the keyboard
2. Something to protect the wrist area
3. A case that is really slim and nice looking

THANKS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.