Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
meh.....it is pretty much out of the box. These apps aren't new to Android. Lock screen notifications have been around a while too with a number of apps. Yes, they are now baked into 5.x but they have been available for any stock android phone for a while.

That's the idea with Android, the system is very comprehensive but then you can add pretty much any feature you can think or change any of the stock ones to fit the way you wish to use the phone.

----------

doesn't matter if it's in the out of the box. any number of apps can be seamlessly added to do that for those interested in it. I use Popup as it's very comprehensive in how it works and what features those lock screen notifications will show.

Actually, it does. That's why Apple has been so viable for so long. Their devices are very tried and true, but tiring to techy people. I used to be really anti-apple, but I warmed myself to acknowledging their presence and positives. A lot of casual users just want function built in and have to rely on apps more. I know this as an Android user, but using 3rd party or G-Apps over S-Apps and Touchwiz disrupts the continuity of my phone. I like having a consistent UI in core functions. Android disrupts it, but that's just me w/ what I said with Touchwiz.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I was referring to Push Bullet. Lockscreen notifications came out with the Lollipop update. You can't even reply from the lockscreen out of the box for Androids.

True, you can reply when you get 5.1 but lockscreen notifications has been around i thought before before Lollipop. Ive had lockscreen notifications on my Androids for a while now and i thought it started with Kitkat natively but maybe i was using an app then as well.

I know i was using an app call Slidelock i believe. Good app for that.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Actually, it does. That's why Apple has been so viable for so long. Their devices are very tried and true, but tiring to techy people.

You don't need to be a techy to use an android device. One just needs to be informed and familiar with smart phones. Many android users are those that have outgrown the basics of iOS. iOS to me was a training wheel device. Yes, tried and true, but limiting to the point that I have to use the device the way Apple wants me to. I've outgrown that.

A lot of casual users just want function built in and have to rely on apps more.

Agree. Casual users.

I know this as an Android user, but using 3rd party or G-Apps over S-Apps and Touchwiz disrupts the continuity of my phone.

We'll have to agree to disagree. 3rd party apps today have very integrated look and feel. Most are in the background and require nothing special to use. I have my Note 3 configured to the point that I almost don't know what is stock and what's not.

Schnedi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
i had the iPhone5 and changed it for a Galaxy S4, the worst phone i've ever had!!

then bought the Nexus5 and i fell in love. unfortunately i lost it.

bought the iPhone6 (only to make things and money).

and now i'm waiting for the Xiaomi Mi5 features. actually only the screen size, if it's more than 5" i will discard it.

i want to go back to Android asap.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Actually, it does. That's why Apple has been so viable for so long. Their devices are very tried and true, but tiring to techy people. I used to be really anti-apple, but I warmed myself to acknowledging their presence and positives. A lot of casual users just want function built in and have to rely on apps more. I know this as an Android user, but using 3rd party or G-Apps over S-Apps and Touchwiz disrupts the continuity of my phone. I like having a consistent UI in core functions. Android disrupts it, but that's just me w/ what I said with Touchwiz.

I didnt know anybody used the S apps, lol. I never have and this is my third Galaxy phone. Anyways, i will disagree as well here.

3rd party apps that ive used have worked well. I do not use the TW launcher. It is better than it has ever been on the GS6 but it still isnt very nice looking imo. I like the weather app but Nova is so much better.

You can get different icons packs to make it look how you like it and to me, it looks so much better. I like having more icons on my dock and i made them smaller to give it a look that it is seperate from the others.

To me, the icons on TW are a mess being big and some are square and some are a circle. I could live with it if i had to but the beauty of Android is since i dont have to live with it ...well, i dont.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
I moved away from 4S due to a failure
Out of warranty
It sucks
I wanted to go back but 6/6+ are ugliest iPhone i ever seen
Design does matter to me, 4/5 have pretty marvelous design
I think Cook isnt as strict as Job was about the design

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
using 3rd party or G-Apps over S-Apps and Touchwiz disrupts the continuity of my phone. I like having a consistent UI in core functions. Android disrupts it, but that's just me w/ what I said with Touchwiz.

Nova is so much better. You can get different icons packs to make it look how you like it and to me, it looks so much better. I like having more icons on my dock and i made them smaller to give it a look that it is seperate from the others.

Totally agree. Nova launcher is by far superior. I love the gesture based launcher for apps. I keep my Text message app hidden and it's opened by a double tap on the screen. Voice mail is accessed by swiping up on the dialer icon. Photos are a swipe up on my camera.

Then for my folders, I keep my favorite/most used from within each as the swipe up on that folder. For example, for on my travel folder a swipe up activates my travel agency app. as I do travel extensively.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I didnt know anybody used the S apps, lol. I never have and this is my third Galaxy phone. Anyways, i will disagree as well here.

3rd party apps that ive used have worked well. I do not use the TW launcher. It is better than it has ever been on the GS6 but it still isnt very nice looking imo. I like the weather app but Nova is so much better.

You can get different icons packs to make it look how you like it and to me, it looks so much better. I like having more icons on my dock and i made them smaller to give it a look that it is seperate from the others.

To me, the icons on TW are a mess being big and some are square and some are a circle. I could live with it if i had to but the beauty of Android is since i dont have to live with it ...well, i dont.

I like S-Health, stock sms, stock dialer, S-Voice is usable, Galaxy voice commands with the camera, S-Pen with the Note, stock music player, smart manger, my files, and stock gallery. S-Apps are quite prevalent for me. G-Apps are important too.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I really like the new S health now on 5.0

I think the walking is very useful and even gives you updates as you walk.

I use most of the features the note line provides. It's why it's the best overall smart phone experience IMO

I have to use Nova though...I need the amount of apps you can have per page and widgets of course.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I like S-Health, stock sms, stock dialer, S-Voice is usable, Galaxy voice commands with the camera, S-Pen with the Note, stock music player, smart manger, my files, and stock gallery. S-Apps are quite prevalent for me. G-Apps are important too.

Well ok. I dont consider the dialer, stock SMS, the camera and the music player S apps. Its TW features. I guess its the same thing. S Voice last i tried it was horrible so i havent had it enable since from my GS1. Google Now is awesome so why go back? My Files is Android, not an S App.

I do like the stock music app but i use PowerAmp which is better. I never used to use the stock SMS but i do use it now along with Hangouts since not everyone on my contacts uses Hangouts. When using texts with my carrier i do use the stock SMS.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
My first smartphone was a 3GS. Those were the days when Apple was clearly better than the competition. Never looked at an Android phone and thought that I wanted to try it.

Next it was the 4S. Really nice display, I hadn't seen anything like it before and the A5 processor indicated how mobile gaming was going to turn out like. I was really satisfied but started to look at alternatives.

Anyhow, ine year later I bought the iPhone 5 before looking into the competition all too much. I wanted the latest and greatest iPhone primarily to get that amazingly thin profile and premium design.
It worked really great and still does.

However when my contract ended little over a year after that, I turned to my first Android phone. The Galaxy Note 3. I wanted to try an extremely big device because I was starting to get sick of the 4 inch display. Note 3 has a brilliant display, decent battery life and beautiful android which I personally think grows prettier than iOS for each year.

There definitely was a time when iphone was the best, but for me, the Note 3 works splendid still. I'm waiting for apple to make a phone that's really worth the price. I won't pay more than what I think it's worth. Unless Apple deliver this year, I will stay with my current phone or try out the Note 5 or maybe another brand.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Never went away from it. Here's my smartphone history - I'm quite happy with iOS!

Some Ancient Blackberry
Palm Treo 800
Motorola Q
HTC Touch
HTC Touch Diamond
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6+

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
My last iphone was the 4s. The main reason I switched to android was the tiny screen of the 4s. Since then I got the s3, s4 and now I'm having the s5.
The s5 for me is the best all around phone. Great battery, one hand use, waterproof, sd etc.
However I'm thinking of giving one more chance to iphone with the 6s+ if they provide 2gb of ram of course.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
When even a larger iPhone (finally) still didn't make up for iOS' shortcomings and bugs. Couple that with Android's recent maturing and the OEMs recent production of beautiful and powerful hardware.

Though the bottom line is, it's mostly about the software at this point. iOS is just moving way too slow. And losing Google Maps as the default navigation hurt the experience, too.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Currently fully subscribed to the Apple ecosystem. Typing this on a Mac, wearing my Apple Watch, with my iPhone 6+ on charge next to me.

After the iPhone 4S, I grew quite tired of iOS. It was fine, just a bit boring. Sterile.

So I jumped to Android and had a GS4 for a couple of years which was honestly great (that phone really got a lot more stick than it deserved).

Around November, work offered me a decent discount on iPhone contracts, and because I was kind of curious about the iPhone 6 after two years away, I made the jump.

iOS still isn't too exciting, but it isn't boring me like it used to. Small things such as being able to share to 3rd party apps and alternative keyboards has made it easier to move back.

My beef though, is that Apple are in full on profit mode. In other words, they are content to make a "pretty" device as cheaply as possible, and are willing to sacrifice software quality and reliability for Jony Ives minimalistic approach to UI.

I.e. Apple has officially become style over substance.

I could overlook prices if their devices were reliable. Both iOS and OS X are so full of bugs though that it makes the entire user experience just damn frustrating.

18 months until this contract is up, then I'll be moving to the Note line.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
The S3. It was the only seemingly decent and fully flushed Android device out there at the time and I was getting slightly bored with my iP4 at the time. Wanted a bit more customization and a slightly larger screen. I still miss the way the S3 fit my hand with its pebbly smoothness. The S4 I replaced it when there was call issues just doesn't feel the same.

Now using a note 4.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The S3. It was the only seemingly decent and fully flushed Android device out there at the time and I was getting slightly bored with my iP4 at the time. Wanted a bit more customization and a slightly larger screen. I still miss the way the S3 fit my hand with its pebbly smoothness. The S4 I replaced it when there was call issues just doesn't feel the same.

Now using a note 4.

Same here. I tried others before, but the S3 was good enough as a keeper.

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
First time being a heretic with Blackberry Passport at the end of 2014.

Never regretted that decision: it is one of the best business phones, hands down. It is my first Blackberry btw.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I disagree. Apple is making going to apple Harder. $400 watches, $900 phones, $800 tablets, $2400 laptops, $2400 desktops.

I know, I know you can get cheaper versions of each but apple's lowest priced devices are underwhelming and poor value for long-term ownership.

The 6+, their most expensive and current iPhone, fits your description of Apple's lowest-priced devices to a tee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.