Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
I've seen them multiple times during the NBA playoffs.

They do the secret agent "they're coming" one and unboxing as well as the one where he uses it as a go pro camera type commercial.

Yes, and the camera commercial is just the worst - it tries to come off like it's an amateur YouTube review. So lame.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Those samsung "they're coming" and the parkour one are both TRRRIBLE commercials. Terrible.

At least the Samsung commercials that knocked iPhone fans or lack of features had character.

These are just weird.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
S6 and S6 Edge commercials?

I am yet to see an S6 or S6 Edge advert on British television. Then again I've only seen an iPhone 6 advert on a couple of occasions and that was several months ago. There isn't a huge push on smartphones here on TV and most of it seems to be in the papers, magazines, and leaflets inside both.

Contrast that with supermarkets and shopping centres and there are billboards everywhere advertising these devices. It seems to be enough though because they seem to enjoy big sales.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am yet to see an S6 or S6 Edge advert on British television. Then again I've only seen an iPhone 6 advert on a couple of occasions and that was several months ago. There isn't a huge push on smartphones here on TV and most of it seems to be in the papers, magazines, and leaflets inside both.

Contrast that with supermarkets and shopping centres and there are billboards everywhere advertising these devices. It seems to be enough though because they seem to enjoy big sales.
I've seen them plenty of times on Freesat and Sky TV... they were more prolific a few weeks back and seem to have slowed down now though. So they are there. (we get UK television here)

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Well, perhaps this is the difference: us older guys who have seen decades of such commercials don't associate them with anyone in particular. It's all repetitive after a while. Styles come and go, and come again.

OTOH, people to whom it's all new, naturally imprint on Apple like newly hatched ducks.

^^^^^^^This

There are very few original ideas. And this isn't a new phenomenon. Go back through 6,000+ years of recorded human history and you will see styles/trends/fads/story plots/fashions/narratives repeated over and over.

At the end of the day we really aren't that original.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm starting to see a lot of s6 and the edge in people's hands in public now. Pretty surprised by how many edges I'm seeing.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm starting to see a lot of s6 and the edge in people's hands in public now. Pretty surprised by how many edges I'm seeing.

I haven't noticed a single one just yet, of either model though I haven't admittedly been looking. I still see more older models (S3 and S4, Note 3) than any other Samsung. Now that you've mentioned it though, I'm sure I'll be on the look out and probably start noticing 'em everywhere. ;)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've seen them plenty of times on Freesat and Sky TV... they were more prolific a few weeks back and seem to have slowed down now though. So they are there. (we get UK television here)

I must be unlucky or diving out the room in advert breaks lol. I have FreeSat here and an open source box receiving a hooky Sky signal shhhhhhhh! But no I still haven't seen one yet. I believe you though that they do exist, but perhaps they haven't pushed it enough through television if people like me are getting through the net? Having said that it is selling well so maybe TV is the old skool method of advertising and shopping centres pushing devices has more of an effect? I know where all the teenagers hang around in my town lol. On a Saturday afternoon it's the phone shops that are the most busy here. I hate the Apple Store because it's rammed full of people playing with stuff they have no intention of buying, but that's marketing working in full effect I suppose. The same with Carphone warehouse etc.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the S6 advert though. :)

Lisa Quach

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
Milpitas
Now a days, there are internet users is greater then TV lovers, so samsung is targeting those internet guys. And I saw a commercial of S6 and it is very populer now a days, that is Samsung Galaxy S6 TV Spot, 'The Next Big Thing Coming Soon'
:cool:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I finally saw one last night during the Cavs vs ATL game. Didn't pay much attention but they quoted a Forbes review in the beginning. It was as boring as the typical luxury car commercial.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Don't watch TV much, but I've seen the Edge ads on Hulu, and the T-mobile one on YouTube.

----------

Been seeing a lot around NYC too.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Watch commercials during an NBA game. Those ads will always show up. Samsung is one of the biggest sponsors of the NBA. In the Philippines, the billboards for them is everywhere.

S6 edge will sell on looks alone. I just saw the platinum gold variant a couple weeks ago. Real sexy. My gf wasn't all that impressed. She doesn't like glass exteriors with a slopey sides. For me, I already passed the phase of design over function. The HTC One M7 looked better to me and it sucked in two important categories. Camera and battery life. It seems M9 didn't correct either. The S6/S6 edge only seems to suffer with battery life as standby time seems poor. But battery is #1 for me and if these overpriced/overrated 2015 flagships don't seem to improve on them. For a mostly postpaid-driven country, flagships is the way to go. For prepaid, not really. You can stretch that dollar so much longer with lower-priced unlocked phones. Not everyone needs the horsepower of a Ferrari.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I imagine they'll be pushing hard. Media outlets are starting to call the S6 a flop:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-sales-2015-5

No idea about the truth behind it as it doesn't to have too much inside information.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
I'm not going to go on some prolonged diatribe about Samsung copying Apple because, well, who cares? I think it could actually be amusing if the intention was Samsung trolling Apple and the overdramatic Jony Ive videos but I think they were being quite serious.

And the big, glaring error---doesn't everywhere outside of the US actually pronounce Aluminum as Al-u-min-ee-um? Nobody from the UK would ever say it like we do in the US. ;)
That's because you have changed the way the word is spelt. You seem to like doing that over your side of the pond. It's spelt ALUMINIUM , If you drop the last I , you will no doubt pronounce it how you do..

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's because you have changed the way the word is spelt. You seem to like doing that over your side of the pond. It's spelt ALUMINIUM , If you drop the last I , you will no doubt pronounce it how you do..

I'm curious what on Earth drew your attention to this nearly year old dead thread and to comment on my very tongue in cheek post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.