Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirror1023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Hi,
So I went to an Apple Store Hiring Event on Sunday March 15, 2015.
After 3 hours I got a call from Apple offering me a part-time position.
I accepted and they told me to finish my application so they can perform a background check.
HireRight conducted the check which finished around April 6th, 2015.
Apple calls me on the 6th and says they will let me know in 3-4 days if they are going to hire me.
*Note - Background is not clean.
A week and a half goes by so I try calling them, but I can never get in touch with the person I need to speak to.
I get a call from Apple on April 26th saying that they are still deciding if they want to hire me or not.
I have some other offers, but I really want to work for Apple.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

runsamok

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
Hello,

My advice: Take one of the other offers and keep applying for Apple positions. Eventually you may get an offer from Apple and you can choose whether to accept the Apple offer from a position of power (aka already having a job that pays the bills). To be honest, people who interviewed around the time you did have already received an offer (or a rejection) so I would also follow up with your recruiter by email politely asking about the status.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
You don't mention where you live. I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that in an at-will state in the US such as California, you have no obligation to an employer (nor do they, vice versa) and can depart at any time, barring a signed contract to the contrary.

You also don't mention what about your background is not clean. This would modulate your decision too. If you're a convicted axe murderer or child molester and someone offers you a job, you'd be wise to take it...

mirror1023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2015
Let me provide some more information about my situation:

The felony is drug (marijuana) related, non-violent crime.
I followed up with the Apple recruiter multiple times in a very polite manner and all she keeps saying is that they have not made a decision yet. It has been more than one month since I was told that they would let me know in 3-4 days. Does this happen to candidates occasionally?
And yes, I live in California.

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado

I followed up with the Apple recruiter multiple times in a very polite manner and all she keeps saying is that they have not made a decision yet. It has been more than one month since I was told that they would let me know in 3-4 days. Does this happen to candidates occasionally?

If they keep dragging on in your particular instance, then you are doing a disservice to yourself in not following up on your other opportunities. Take what you can get, when you can get it. Apple is not going to disappear anytime soon. Don't limit your options when you have options.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I'd not bug them about it, as that will cause them to not consider you. Usually if they're dragging their feet, they already made their decision and moved on. Some companies will tell you thanks but not thanks, others just leave you twisting in the wind. Calling them won't help at this point, there's nothing more you can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.