Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Italy
Hi friends, and thanks for your helpful information, in general; where could I buy an iPad mini 2 retina as in the title at a lower price? The last model 3 too, i f possible. Here in Italy prices are very very high; please help me with some suggestions. Many thanks :)

Last edited:

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Hi friends, and thanks for your helpful information, in general; where could I buy an iPad mini 2 retina as in the title at a lower price? The last model 3 too, i f possible. Here in Italy prices are very very high; please help me with some suggestions. Many thanks :)

Answer to your Title question: 32 - Wifi. Use personal hotspot.

Reactions: angelo1

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Italy
Thanks; OK, but are there sites where it's possible to buy at a lower price? A brand new ipad, I mean

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Used one you can find eBay and sometime they sell brand new one too. I think 16GB version is good You can use
Dropbox or any cloud based apps for storage pictures, document, etc.
Find free hotspot like one at Starbucks, McDonald or use your wireless router at your home.

I would like to get wifi version but I realized I need a GPS built in so I am forced to buy cellular + wifi iPad Air. :apple:

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Italy
Thanks to you two, friends; I'll look for by your suggestione. Many thanks and tell me if you find some cheaper selling shops. :) bye

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
As someone already mentioned, you may want to consider going for the wifi only version and, when you're out and about, tethering to your smartphone (assuming you have one) via Personal Hotspot or equivalent. You'll need to have a reasonably large data allowance. I've done the same a few days ago - couldn't decide between the wifi or cellular but went for the wifi as I have an iPhone 5S with a 6gb 4G allowance which I don't even come close to maxing out each month. If you've a very limited data plan though, it might be risky using two devices on it.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I have a 16GB, wifi only model. Tethers perfectly to my Lumia phone. Why buy 2 SIM cards with data plans when one is enough?

And I still have 5GB free. Don't need videos and the music is on my phone (SD card). This combination is better and cheaper than a single iPhone IMHO.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
As someone already mentioned, you may want to consider going for the wifi only version and, when you're out and about, tethering to your smartphone (assuming you have one) via Personal Hotspot or equivalent. You'll need to have a reasonably large data allowance. I've done the same a few days ago - couldn't decide between the wifi or cellular but went for the wifi as I have an iPhone 5S with a 6gb 4G allowance which I don't even come close to maxing out each month. If you've a very limited data plan though, it might be risky using two devices on it.

Meh tethering kills battery so if you can afford the LTE model go with it imo

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Apple's refurbished models are typically an excellent deal: a device that is indistinguishable from new, with a full one year Apple warranty. But I don't know if that's something they offer in Italy.

Regarding 16 vs 32 and wifi vs cellular:

Do NOT get the 16, even if you're not a consumer of videos or music and don't keep a lot of photos. Both iOS and apps are getting bigger and bigger--photos and videos can always be stored elsewhere (like Dropbox, or an external wireless drive), but apps cannot. The biggest device related mistake I've ever made was buying a 16 GB Mini last fall because I'd had two previous 16 GB ipads and I don't do movies or music on them. I'm forever having to delete games and other apps from it to make more room--I'm down to 500 MB, with 1 GB of photos on the device left to be removed. The rest is all apps, yet I'm running fewer of those than I ever have, and have removed all the terrific (but very large) reference apps that I bought iPads for in the first place.

As for wifi vs cellular: if you have a phone capable of a mobile hotspot (and a data plan that allows it), or if the ipad will never leave your house, or you're fine with using public wifi, the wifi only model is fine. Otherwise, get the cellular version.

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Italy
I have a 16GB, wifi only model. Tethers perfectly to my Lumia phone. Why buy 2 SIM cards with data plans when one is enough?

Hi Friends, thanks for you reply and excuse me if I replied just now...in Italy such an allowance is only for very expensive telephonic contracts with operators...many thanks again and have a good day :)

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Italy
Apple's refurbished models are typically an excellent deal: a device that is indistinguishable from new, with a full one year Apple warranty. But I don't know if that's something they offer in Italy.

Regarding 16 vs 32 and wifi vs cellular:

Do NOT get the 16, even if you're not a consumer of videos or music and don't keep a lot of photos. Both iOS and apps are getting bigger and bigger--photos and videos can always be stored elsewhere (like Dropbox, or an external wireless drive), but apps cannot. The biggest device related mistake I've ever made was buying a 16 GB Mini last fall because I'd had two previous 16 GB ipads and I don't do movies or music on them. I'm forever having to delete games and other apps from it to make more room--I'm down to 500 MB, with 1 GB of photos on the device left to be removed. The rest is all apps, yet I'm running fewer of those than I ever have, and have removed all the terrific (but very large) reference apps that I bought iPads for in the first place.

As for wifi vs cellular: if you have a phone capable of a mobile hotspot (and a data plan that allows it), or if the ipad will never leave your house, or you're fine with using public wifi, the wifi only model is fine. Otherwise, get the cellular version.
Hi to yo too, dear IrishVixen; thanks you for your precious suggestions that one must consider...so not 16gb, right?

angelo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Italy
I still haven't bought the ipad mini, and all your suggestions are really very important Friends

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.