Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Here is another option called Airtable that looks promising and it also has an API!

https://airtable.com

Here is a blog post comparing it to Filemaker. Maybe using both Filemaker and Airtable would be fun also!

http://timdietrich.me/blog/airtable-the-database-reimagined/

its amazing seeing these apps and how fast and smoothly they handle both building and executing these queries.

i worked for years with a software called navision (owned by microsoft) and that costs thousands of dollars per year and while its powerful its a mess compared to these two.

im looking to have a little web app built and had pretty much decided on using one of admin templates as a base but seeing filemaker and these two kinda make me wonder. a visual calendar though is a requirement (fullcalendar) so maybe airtable and fieldbookapp arent quite up to the task.

tomtek

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
I'm always amazed how some folks who don't have a first hand knowledge of a products capabilities can speak negatively about it. Those who use Filemaker every day appreciate the product for its advantages over others. There is no other product that can do what it does on so many platforms Mac, IOS, Windows, Web and Android in the future. Its a complex and very capable product that offers many features and licensing options like no other. Like it or not Filemaker is no small potatoes in the database arena and quite the hidden gem of a solution. It's as capable as any and extremely easy to use.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm always amazed how some folks who don't have a first hand knowledge of a products capabilities can speak negatively about it. Those who use Filemaker every day appreciate the product for its advantages over others. There is no other product that can do what it does on so many platforms Mac, IOS, Windows, Web and Android in the future. Its a complex and very capable product that offers many features and licensing options like no other. Like it or not Filemaker is no small potatoes in the database arena and quite the hidden gem of a solution. It's as capable as any and extremely easy to use.
What about those of us who want small potatoes in the database arena?

Filemaker is overkill for those of us who used and enjoyed Bento (and would've enjoyed it more had it lived on and been enhanced).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.