Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipos

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2011
mainly Internet, watching movies , Microsoft office and occasional photoshop

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

The processor really isn't an issue. Probably biggest issues will be RAM and/or the Spinning hard drive in the base model. Even the Base Mini w/ the Fusion Drive would be a decent computer. An SSD can somewhat make up for the lack of RAM.

Anyway, yes it would probably work for you. I'm just not a fan of mechanical drives anymore.

ipos

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2011
The processor really isn't an issue. Probably biggest issues will be RAM and/or the Spinning hard drive in the base model. Even the Base Mini w/ the Fusion Drive would be a decent computer. An SSD can somewhat make up for the lack of RAM.

Anyway, yes it would probably work for you. I'm just not a fan of mechanical drives anymore.

If I get the base mini and up to 8gb ram, does it help?

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
8Gb Of RAM Is A Start...

Sure that 8Gb of RAM will help. You still need an SSD or Fusion Drive (FD) to complete the package. Paulrbeers is right. If you still have doubts, then you should try a stock (1.4/4/HD) base model before you buy.

On Monday I visited our nearest Apple store and test drove some of the machines. For most tasks, the nMP didn't really feel different from a mid-range mini. Likewise, other than the display, the high-end 5K iMac was not much different from any given MacBook. The real shocker was the base mini. The beachballs were brutal. When I clicked iMovie the icon started bouncing, and bouncing, and bouncing... I thought that it would never stop! After an eternity (30+ seconds?) of bouncing the mini entered that nether-world of "disk activity" that those obsolete HD LEDs used to inform us about. The icon was still but so was everything else. This went on for a while as well. Finally iMovie opened. It ran okay. Files took a while to load and everything seemed a little groggy but iMovie did get up and running.

With an SSD things are completely different.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get the midrange model with a fusion drive.

Yes, it's more money.

No, you WILL NOT regret spending this later on.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Honestly the Fusion drive is probably better than than the 8GB of RAM, but I realize to add the FD is 50% of the cost of the base Mini, vs. only 20% for 8GB of RAM.

Me Personally, I got a good deal on a Mid-Mini and then I upgraded the mechanical drive with an SSD (just swapped). With that said, it's not an easy swap and some prefer to go external SSD off the USB 3.0 bus rather than swapping drives...

All are good options.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
By the time bumped the ram and disk on the 1.4 you may as well get the 2.6 anyway and get the better graphics

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012

1.4ghz will be plenty. see my other post. I did a test with my 1.4ghz 4gb

I had Fusion vm running with windows 8, an hd movie playing, music playing, firefox open with like 30 tabs i think, safari open with multiple tabs, google chrome open playing youtube video, website design software open, and app store plus a few more.

Switching between some windows was just a tad slower but the 1.4 proved itself worthy! Its a beast!

It did all this at the same time with no hiccup!

----------

Yes, it's more money.

will you guys quit saying this. He ask will this be good for him, not good for what you think or want.

----------

Sure that 8Gb of RAM will help. You still need an SSD or Fusion Drive (FD) to complete the package. Paulrbeers is right. If you still have doubts, then you should try a stock (1.4/4/HD) base model before you buy.

On Monday I visited our nearest Apple store and test drove some of the machines. For most tasks, the nMP didn't really feel different from a mid-range mini. Likewise, other than the display, the high-end 5K iMac was not much different from any given MacBook. The real shocker was the base mini. The beachballs were brutal. When I clicked iMovie the icon started bouncing, and bouncing, and bouncing... I thought that it would never stop! After an eternity (30+ seconds?) of bouncing the mini entered that nether-world of "disk activity" that those obsolete HD LEDs used to inform us about. The icon was still but so was everything else. This went on for a while as well. Finally iMovie opened. It ran okay. Files took a while to load and everything seemed a little groggy but iMovie did get up and running.

With an SSD things are completely different.

yep i just tried to open iMovie and it did the same , it took 45 seconds but that doesn't bother me as I multi task. Once it opens up it runs normal.

Get a sad drive via usb is a good increase but not really needed.

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
But This Kool-Aid Tastes So Good!

1.4ghz will be plenty. see my other post. I did a test with my 1.4

I had Fusion vm running with windows 8, an hd movie playing, music playing, firefox open with like 30 tabs i think, safari open with multiple tabs, google chrome open playing youtube video, website design software open, and app store plus a few more.

Switching between some windows was just a tad slower but the 1.4 proved itself worthy! Its a beast!

----------

will you guys quit saying this. He ask will this be good for him, not good for what you think or want.

----------

yep i just tried to open iMovie and it did the same , it took 45 seconds but that doesn't bother me as I multi task. Once it opens up it runs normal.

Get a SSD drive via usb is a good increase but not really needed.

Finally our voice of reason has arrived! Now the OP has the whole story. SSD speed is a wonderful thing and 8Gb of RAM is enough to do the job for years to come. However, the base model is a real Mac computer for an amazing price. The RAM is stuck at the amount that you originally purchase but the storage has several upgrade paths. The internal options use the PCIe or SATA interfaces but the externals are close behind with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ports.

If the most practical way to get a new Mac is to purchase a base model mini then the OP should do exactly that. Despite our fondness for SSD speed, the RAM upgrade is the critical decision because you cannot do it after the original purchase.

So, I am going to heed applelover4u and answer the original questions this way:
Yes ipos the 1.4Ghz with 8 is enough for you. It will run just like applelover4u said.

Reactions: ron7624 and SkyBell

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
No, because SSD (or FD) is good for any computer user, regardless of what the usage is. Even users who aren't knowledgeable enough to know an SSD from a turkey baster will unwittingly appreciate an SSD.

Apple still offers hard drives for only one reason - to lure customers in at a lower price point in order to up-sell them to the next price point that includes an SSD. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it hurts their brand more than it leads to sales - lots of users end up disappointed in Macs because it didn't have an SSD... because most people aren't knowledgeable enough to know the reason was a lack of SSD, they go away thinking Macs are as crappy as the Windows PC they use at work.

If budget is an issue, in almost all cases you're better off buying an older model with an SSD than a brand new one without an SSD.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

The 1.4 Ghz Mini can lift its act to 2.7Ghz on occasion, should the need arise. Normally it will loaf along, cool and efficient, at the lower, rated speed.

Yes, it's more money.

Yes, there is a tendency for folks here to post you need this or that, based on their own, perception, situation, budget, needs, desires, dreams or whatever.

If I bought the "best" computer based on specs and what others say I should have, I would regret spending more than I can afford for performance I don't need.

Sure, a snappy SSD may be nice to have. The Fusion Drive option offers the benefits of both for those with the need and the budget. But HDD still remains proven and more cost effective.

1.4ghz will be plenty. see my other post. I did a test with my 1.4

----------

Good to see a post based on the base model Mac Mini in use.

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

----------

No we won't. The average user may not know what an SSD/FD is, but he/she will definitely appreciate a machine with one inside.

If 45 seconds is acceptable to you, you must have never used an SSD or FD before. If it takes more than 15 seconds to boot from a cold shutdown, this is unacceptable for a computer today. If it takes 45 seconds to open an app for a modern computer today, it's also unacceptable.

Modern computers at such a price should be able to start up within 15 seconds and open apps within a second (or within 5 seconds, for large ones). And that will only happen with an SSD/FD.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
No we won't. The average user may not know what an SSD/FD is, but he/she will definitely appreciate a machine with one inside.

If 45 seconds is acceptable to you, you must have never used an SSD or FD before. If it takes more than 15 seconds to boot from a cold shutdown, this is unacceptable for a computer today. If it takes 45 seconds to open an app for a modern computer today, it's also unacceptable.

Modern computers at such a price should be able to start up within 15 seconds and open apps within a second (or within 5 seconds, for large ones). And that will only happen with an SSD/FD.

What is acceptable/unacceptable is a personal thing. I am all SSD machines yet I don't find HDD machines unacceptable to use. My browsing the Internet isn't any slower. My movies play smoothly etc

6r4ff3r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2014
Is Yosemite too much fat for hdd drives doing basic tasks or are you dramatizing?

I've a 6-year old laptop (t5800,4gb ram ddr2 800, hd 3430) with Windows vista and i do browsing and watch movies without problems.
Yeah, it has a 5400rpm drive, but it remains reliable.

I prefer base mini, use ssd external drive as OS partition and internal drive as storage.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Do NOT listen to anyone in this thread telling you the HDD on the 1.4 is ok or good enough.

You will regret your purchase if you do not get an SSD or at the very least a Fusion. And you will be back making another thread how to speed up your Mini.

Reactions: Cape Dave

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Is Yosemite too much fat for hdd drives doing basic tasks or are you dramatizing?

I've a 6-year old laptop (t5800,4gb ram ddr2 800, hd 3430) with Windows vista and i do browsing and watch movies without problems.
Yeah, it has a 5400rpm drive, but it remains reliable.

I prefer base mini, use ssd external drive as OS partition and internal drive as storage.

OS X since Mavericks has been too fat for HDDs, because the Macs that have the highest sales are the portables, and they all have SSDs already, and so Apple optimizes OS X for SSDs and not give a damn about HDDs. Windows is still designed to run on older hardware with slow parts, but OS X lives on the bleeding edge.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
Get the Mac Mini with a 2.6Ghz i5, 8GB of Ram, and a 256GB SSD upgrade. It will last you for years.

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
Finally our voice of reason has arrived! Now the OP has the whole story. SSD speed is a wonderful thing and 8Gb of RAM is enough to do the job for years to come. However, the base model is a real Mac computer for an amazing price. The RAM is stuck at the amount that you originally purchase but the storage has several upgrade paths. The internal options use the PCIe or SATA interfaces but the externals are close behind with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ports.

If the most practical way to get a new Mac is to purchase a base model mini then the OP should do exactly that. Despite our fondness for SSD speed, the RAM upgrade is the critical decision because you cannot do it after the original purchase.

So, I am going to heed applelover4u and answer the original questions this way:
Yes ipos the 1.4Ghz with 8 is enough for you. It will run just like applelover4u said.

Well I have 4gb and mines runs awesome with all kind of windows, music, vieos and vmware running.. Now imovie, photoshop and are slow to open(45 seconds or so) but I can deal with that.

I will add a external SSD to boot from and put apps on via USB later

----------

No, because SSD (or FD) is good for any computer user, regardless of what the usage is. Even users who aren't knowledgeable enough to know an SSD from a turkey baster will unwittingly appreciate an SSD.

Apple still offers hard drives for only one reason - to lure customers in at a lower price point in order to up-sell them to the next price point that includes an SSD. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it hurts their brand more than it leads to sales - lots of users end up disappointed in Macs because it didn't have an SSD... because most people aren't knowledgeable enough to know the reason was a lack of SSD, they go away thinking Macs are as crappy as the Windows PC they use at work.

If budget is an issue, in almost all cases you're better off buying an older model with an SSD than a brand new one without an SSD.

Apple been doing this upselling crap ever since they started period. Its nothing new

45 seconds is fine to me for th ebig apps imovie/photoshop for the price i paid of this "mac" usually im doing other things anyway multiltasking thus i can wait. I dont care about boot time 1 60 seconds is fine for me for the price i paid

my other apps open fast, its just the editing big apps that takes some time to open

I will put an external ssd via usb to boot off and put my apps on for less hen $100 and this thing will run like a beast and open up fast. Still come out cheaper

What we should tell op for his use, get the base 1.4ghz 4gb, then add a ssd later down the road which will still be cheaper then the other models

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
45 seconds is fine to me for th ebig apps imovie/photoshop for the price i paid of this "mac" usually im doing other things anyway multiltasking thus i can wait. I dont care about boot time 1 60 seconds is fine for me for the price i paid

my other apps open fast, its just the editing big apps that takes some time to open

I will put an external ssd via usb to boot off and put my apps on for less hen $100 and this thing will run like a beast and open up fast. Still come out cheaper

What we should tell op for his use, get the base 1.4ghz 4gb, then add a ssd later down the road which will still be cheaper then the other models
That's all fine and dandy for you. If you don't care, no one here is trying to force you to do something else.

External SSD's are a work-around as a boot drive - complicated to setup, poor TRIM support, not nearly as fast as PCIe (which makes a significant difference for memory management), susceptible to lost connections (whoops, just pulled out the wrong USB cable!), etc. They have their place when there aren't any other easy alternatives, or getting a little more life out of an old computer. No offense intended, but it's a terrible strategy for a new computer purchase.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
The 1.4ghz is more than enough for what you want to do (the clock speed is misleading, it benchmarks just fine) and you can get by with 4gb of RAM easily. I would suggest getting an SSD or fusion drive if you can though, it will make a world of difference.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The 1.4ghz is more than enough for what you want to do (the clock speed is misleading, it benchmarks just fine) and you can get by with 4gb of RAM easily. I would suggest getting an SSD or fusion drive if you can though, it will make a world of difference.
Listen to Hastings.
Your bottleneck will definitely not be RAM or CPU, but the ancient hdd.
Get an ssd!

HungarianStan

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
Hungary
I just joined the forum specifically to post on this!

I have a Mac Mini 2014 base model (1.4ghz, 4GB, the regular HD), and it's...wait for it...perfectly fine. It's loads better than the windows machine I had before (an ancient single core Win7 thing that I can laugh at now). I don't do anything heavy duty, though I had edited a few movies in iMovie and I game on it. For everything, no worries (though the most intense game I run are Total War games; not into FPSes, so there's that).

So, for the money, I think the base Mac Mini is just fine. I very happy with mine and I plan to use it at least 4-5 years, just like my last machine. Then, I hope, I'll have more cash, and I can go for a "better" mac, but if not, I'll be just fine buying whatever the Mini of that day will be.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Zombie Apocalypse

I just joined the forum specifically to post on this!

I have a Mac Mini 2014 base model (1.4ghz, 4GB, the regular HD), and it's...wait for it...perfectly fine. It's loads better than the windows machine I had before (an ancient single core Win7 thing that I can laugh at now). I don't do anything heavy duty, though I had edited a few movies in iMovie and I game on it. For everything, no worries (though the most intense game I run are Total War games; not into FPSes, so there's that).

So, for the money, I think the base Mac Mini is just fine. I very happy with mine and I plan to use it at least 4-5 years, just like my last machine. Then, I hope, I'll have more cash, and I can go for a "better" mac, but if not, I'll be just fine buying whatever the Mini of that day will be.

Sorry Mencelus, but you are about to find out that we can’t tolerate your point of view! Like applelover4u, you have a base 2014 mini and claim to be satisfied. But that is impossible. ;)

As brain-eating speed zombies, we know what is best for you and your computer. ;)

Come on folks, drink some Kool-Aid and chant with me:
Spinner is bad. Fusion Drive is good. SSD is better. Brains taste good. Spinner is not tasty. I cannot be happy with any Mac if it boots from a spinner!

Reactions: SkyBell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.