Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Typing this now with an Apple Extended Keyboard II. Picked up a Griffin iMate for only $2.99 :D

If only the thing wasn't so big, otherwise I might use it to replace my aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard on my iMac. It sure is nice to type on.

Where did you get it for that price?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Typing this now with an Apple Extended Keyboard II. Picked up a Griffin iMate for only $2.99 :D

If only the thing wasn't so big, otherwise I might use it to replace my aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard on my iMac. It sure is nice to type on.

The only problem I seem to keep having with the AEKII is keyswitches going bad. I've taken to marking them with masking tape. I have a stack behind my computer desk, and just rotate them around when the dead keys get too annoying. Then, when I get a chance, I'll take one or two and spend an afternoon rebuilding the bad switches.

The one on my Quicksilver now has failing "0/)" key and "1" on the numeric keypad. It's about time to switch it around.

I also have a 9600 set up on my desk, and the AEKII connected to it actually works well.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Where did you get it for that price?

At a thrift store.

----------

The only problem I seem to keep having with the AEKII is keyswitches going bad. I've taken to marking them with masking tape. I have a stack behind my computer desk, and just rotate them around when the dead keys get too annoying. Then, when I get a chance, I'll take one or two and spend an afternoon rebuilding the bad switches.

The one on my Quicksilver now has failing "0/)" key and "1" on the numeric keypad. It's about time to switch it around.

I also have a 9600 set up on my desk, and the AEKII connected to it actually works well.

Hmmm... So they start to go bad after a period of normal use?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
At a thrift store.

----------

Hmmm... So they start to go bad after a period of normal use?

Alps key switches have MTBF of around 10,000 actuations. Many well used keyboard are approaching that at least on commonly used keys. Add to that the fact that some use Mitsumi or other brand switches with a who-know-how-long duty cycle.

If your AEKII and is made in the US, look for a small S inside a square in the label on the bottom. This indicates that it has cream(damped) Alps switches, which are among the best.

In any case, Alps switches and their clones are fairly simple to rebuilt. I've had a 100% success rate by removing the switch, taking it apart, and bending the "fingers" to get more firm electrical contact inside the switch. It takes me les than 5 minutes to rebuild a switch, although actually getting it out of the KB takes a lot longer.

A switch that "repeats"(i.e. registers more than one keystroke with a single press) is actually a switch that is about to go bad. It comes from the electrical switch having intermittent contact, which precedes complete failure.

One reason why I like buckling spring keyboards is that the duty cycle is roughly 10 times that of an Alps switch. I also prefer the feel of a buckling spring, although the damped Alps switches on AEKIIs are quite good also. Alps switches are also a LOT quieter than buckling springs. I'm also partial to buckling springs since the only place in the world where they are still made is in Kentucky. When I took my University of Kentucky KB into the factory a few months back, they were impressed that I'd managed to find one, and told me that they still got requests for them. Sometime soon, I'm going to break down and buy a Spacesaver M with Apple keycaps.

CapnCrunch53

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
Indiana
Buckling springs are simply amazing. I'm using a Unicomp Model M that I bought a couple years ago and it makes typing and gaming an absolute joy. If I wasn't so strapped for cash at the moment, I'd order another one for my office at work ("fortunately" my office is a server closet, so nobody would want to murder me LOL). They've got me using a crappy wireless MS unit currently. The ONLY complaint I could possibly make about the Unicomp is that it's only 2KRO, so very occasionally in certain games I'll notice a key not responding, but that's pretty much only in games with complicated controls like GTA, and I use a controller for that anyways.

That's so neat that they're down the road from you Bunnspecial; I hope they know what a treasure they are.

I have an AEK I that I use for my Mac SE; I haven't used it as much as I'd like as the SE needs a solder joint fixed, but it feels very nice. A bit tamer than the buckling springs I've become used to, but very much better than most other keyboards I've used.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Buckling springs are simply amazing. I'm using a Unicomp Model M that I bought a couple years ago and it makes typing and gaming an absolute joy. If I wasn't so strapped for cash at the moment, I'd order another one for my office at work ("fortunately" my office is a server closet, so nobody would want to murder me LOL). They've got me using a crappy wireless MS unit currently. The ONLY complaint I could possibly make about the Unicomp is that it's only 2KRO, so very occasionally in certain games I'll notice a key not responding, but that's pretty much only in games with complicated controls like GTA, and I use a controller for that anyways.

That's so neat that they're down the road from you Bunnspecial; I hope they know what a treasure they are.

Trust me, I realize how fortunate I am to have the factory close to me.

Their customer service is amazing.

I mentioned my University of Kentucky keyboard. I'm a lifelong UK fan(growing up in Central KY does that to a person) and in found the keyboard at a flea market for $5 in the run up to what everyone hoped would be a 40-0 season this year.

This particular keyboard has several "special" keycaps, one of which(the alt key) was missing. I emailed them, and got a response back that they had managed to find a blue Alt key for me, and to just order it and contact a certain person in the office to make sure I got the right one. I did just that, and called. I then went up the next day, walked into the factory, and spoke both with the person who handled my order(she changed the keycap for me) and with the person who had found it.

They were just absolutely great to deal with in person. I had my UK Model M at work the week leading up to the Final Four(I work at rival U of L), although got death threats from my co-workers when I started typing. Like most people my age who have virtually grown up with a computer as another appendage, I can type about 70-80 wpm(and possibly even a little faster on a Model M). A buckling spring makes quite a racket with any use, but at those speeds is deafening.

I am-very soon-going to order a Spacesaver M for when I have my own office :) and can have my keyboard be as loud as I want. I want to do everything I can to help Unicomp, both by talking up their products and "putting my money where my mouth is" by buying them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.