Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
True. And 8K iMac is completely unrealistic - for years to come.

Could it be that the 21.5" iMacs will get a 2.5K LCD in fall ? I guess Apple ideally wants 5k for the 27" models. However.. the price difference is still huge at the moment. Ideally the cheapest 5k model should be $200 cheaper than it currently is.

AppleFanBoii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Alright! So I went with with Max processor, ordered extra RAM from Amazon, Max graphics :D

Money has been taken from my account but order is still down as processing :(

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Could it be that the 21.5" iMacs will get a 2.5K LCD in fall ? I guess Apple ideally wants 5k for the 27" models. However.. the price difference is still huge at the moment. Ideally the cheapest 5k model should be $200 cheaper than it currently is.

Base RiMac has a very reasonable price. What I would like to see price reduced are the storage options, which are absurd at the moment.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Yes, 4K is likely on the 21.5" models in the near future. I agree the cheap 5K model should be $200 less expensive, or come with an SSD/Fusion drive standard. I would actually rather see the latter than a noticeably slower iMac with a 5K display.

markbrads

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
UK
Decisions, desicions

So I've decided to get a 21.5 iMac.. Couple of questions do I get the 21.5-inch: 2.7GHz with Intel Iris Pro Graphics or the 21.5-inch: 2.9GHz with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M?

Should I wait till after WWDC 2015. I like the Retina Display but couldn't house a 27.0-inch:(

Will we see a 21.5-inch Retina anytime soon or shall I just go ahead?

Suggestions, thoughts appreciated.

MikeArtworks

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
Decisions, desicions

So I've decided to get a 21.5 iMac.. Couple of questions do I get the 21.5-inch: 2.7GHz with Intel Iris Pro Graphics or the 21.5-inch: 2.9GHz with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M?

Should I wait till after WWDC 2015. I like the Retina Display but couldn't house a 27.0-inch:(

Will we see a 21.5-inch Retina anytime soon or shall I just go ahead?

Suggestions, thoughts appreciated.
Same question.

teethemagicbee

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
5K was unrealistic in 2013...

The difference was at the beginning of 2014 we knew 5k screens were being made. As far as I know their isn't any bigger screens being made right now. If they every did release 8k within the next couple of years, it would strictly be for professionals and not put in an iMac.

I think at WWDC it'll be unlikely we will see a ret iMac update, possibly unlikely to see the non retinas getting an update. But I do think the 21.5's will get a broadwell and retina(obviously not 4/5k) upgrade.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I have an iMac from 2010 that I have been wanting to upgrade and had hoped to see more than a small price cut and a new entry model in the last round of updates. While there will always be newer/faster/shinier technology out there I think I think will wait until the next generation when we get Skylake and all the benefits with it as those are more likely to buy a few more years than a typical speed bump would.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
I have an iMac from 2010 that I have been wanting to upgrade and had hoped to see more than a small price cut and a new entry model in the last round of updates. While there will always be newer/faster/shinier technology out there I think I think will wait until the next generation when we get Skylake and all the benefits with it as those are more likely to buy a few more years than a typical speed bump would.

I agree. I don't see the big deal with the latest version of the iMacs, especially since they're not even Broadwell. Skylake is going to be a bigger upgrade, and will probably contain a proper GPU for the 5k models to power such a high resolution without the need to spend extra money on an upgrade.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
While I did not get my iMac delivered yet. The biggest thing that is giving me thoughts on returning it is that it cannot be used as a target display. It would be nice to use that monitor for something else in the future

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
I've have OWC (Other World Computing) ram for my laptop and have no complaints. Lifetime warranty etc.

DaveT9713

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
I'm buying mine on Monday (after WWDC Keynote).
I was just about to give up on my slow 11,1 27" iMac and upgrade to something new... hit the Apple Store and the i7 iMac is gone... there is no option to pick anything other than the stock i5 models.

The "compare models" page still shows the iMac 5K 4.0GHz 27" option but you can't actually pick that model in the Buy Now.

I'm hoping that means that something new is coming on Monday and they've pulled all the old models off the store.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I was just about to give up on my slow 11,1 27" iMac and upgrade to something new... hit the Apple Store and the i7 iMac is gone... there is no option to pick anything other than the stock i5 models.

The "compare models" page still shows the iMac 5K 4.0GHz 27" option but you can't actually pick that model in the Buy Now.

I'm hoping that means that something new is coming on Monday and they've pulled all the old models off the store.

Noticed that as well, so waiting until Monday.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY

Noticed that as well, so waiting until Monday.

I am able to pick the 4.0 i7 model with no problem. Unless they were just updating the site or something.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
I am able to pick the 4.0 i7 model with no problem. Unless they were just updating the site or something.

Same here, Dutch Apple store. i7 option exists and can be picked... appearently not much delay (2-3 days extra). When I tried to order my 27" i7 last month, the delivery time was weeks and in the end it appeared they dropped that option/model.

Again, for iMac Apple will skip Broadwell. Skylake with TB 3.0 & maybe type C USB 3.x end of Q4 is another story.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

It's a build-to-order option: always has been.

You have to select the 3.5GHz model to get to the "Configure" screen, then choose the 4.0 i7 option under 'processor'. Dispatch time will always be at least 2-4 days.

With WWDC so close, waiting a few days more before buying anything from Apple is a no-brainer, just in case: Intel's messed-up CPU release schedule has made things impossible to call, but its looking quite likely that this year's keynote will be all about software and services.

It's a bit early for the next major revisions (which I'd guess will be Skylake, Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C and probably a rMBP case re-design) and any minor CPU bumps will be determined by the availability of the processors from Intel, not WWDC.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Since Apple got rid of high end 27 regular iMac a few weeks ago and did some price changes and added low end 5k, I'm thinking as been suggested they are going to do something with 21 at wwdc with Broadwell chips. Maybe retina 21" (or whatever smaller sized) with Broadwell. Skylake late 2015 27" 5k only, regular iMac 27" dropped.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Since Apple got rid of high end 27 regular iMac a few weeks ago and did some price changes and added low end 5k, I'm thinking as been suggested they are going to do something with 21 at wwdc with Broadwell chips. Maybe retina 21" (or whatever smaller sized) with Broadwell. Skylake late 2015 27" 5k only, regular iMac 27" dropped.

AFAIK, WWDC is all about SDKs, OS updates, frameworks, Xcode. Last year, the big news was Swift, iOS 8 with Healthkit + Homekit and OSX 10.10 with its flat UI and continuity. An 21.5" iMac update with just a new Broadwell CPU would be very strange fit.

Personally, I expect a lot of buzz about apps for the Apple Watch.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
AFAIK, WWDC is all about SDKs, OS updates, frameworks, Xcode.

Yes, but the opening keynote has often been used to announce new hardware in the past. At the least we'll probably see some back-slapping about the success of the 5k iMac, Retina MacBook, force touch, USB-C etc. which would be a good opportunity to launch any new developments in that area. However, in the Tim Cook era they've tended to use spring and fall media events for major launches instead. I would be unsurprised if this year really is all about software.

iOS 8 with Healthkit

(I must be old and nostalgic - I keep misreading that as 'Heathkit' :) )

An 21.5" iMac update with just a new Broadwell CPU would be very strange fit.

...but a Retina iMac with a "4k" (UHD) 21.5" screen (exactly pixel-doubled from the existing 1080p) would make perfect sense. But I don't think there's any reason to expect that at WWDC.

Hey, anything's possible: announcing a major across-the-board Skylake/TB3/USB-C redesign wouldn't violate the laws of physics, and might be relevant to developers. Apple have had early access to Intel products before. If sales are falling because people are waiting for new CPUs they might decide that having customers' heads turned by shiny new Win10 machines was a greater risk than Osbourne effect and announce them early.

Don't hold your breath though.

Or, they might decide that they're going to skip the :apple:Car and skip straight to the :apple:Fly flying car. You heard it here first!

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Or, they might decide that they're going to skip the :apple:Car and skip straight to the :apple:Fly flying car. You heard it here first!

I'm now getting visions of a Delorean-based prototype iCar with flux capacitor, crashing on the podium, just returning from 2065. Tim Cook stepping out claiming "he has seen the future", that 100" wall-to-wall iMac sold like crazy... after he has beaten Skynet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.