Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have a MacBook Pro retina. Its specs are 2.6/8/256.

I'm pretty sure the MacBook is not enough for my needs, but I wanted to get some feedback.

I currently use my MBPr for:

1. Chrome/Firefox/Safari
2. Notes
3. Calendar
4. Messages
5. iPhoto
6. Pages
7. Numbers
8. Occasional Keynote
9. Itunes
19. VLC
20. Call of Duty
21. Occasional Maps
22. Mail
23. HDMI for external monitor
24. USB hub for printer, iPhone, CD drive, external hard drive
25. Bluetooth for speaker, mouse, keyboard
26. SD card slot for permanent SD card storage
27. Time Machine

I use an external monitor and my MBPr as a desktop 90% of the time.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013

I'm pretty sure the MacBook is not enough for my needs, but I wanted to get some feedback.

1. Chrome/Firefox/Safari
2. Notes
3. Calendar
4. Messages
5. iPhoto
6. Pages
7. Numbers
8. Occasional Keynote
9. Itunes
19. VLC
20. Call of Duty
21. Occasional Maps
22. Mail
27. Time Machine

I have almots the same use, plus, I write a lot of documents. I'm a lawyer.

Once in a while I have to work in a starbucks when I'm on the rod. So, portability is something that I need 3% of the time. When I travel, I only take my ipad with me for gaming and social media.

I'm thinking to get a New Macbook too, but I need ports. Maybe near in the future the user can buy a special dock for the New Macbook, like the Henge Docks for the macbook pro retina.

But until now, for people who needs ports, ethernet, all in the same time, with the New Macbook is impossible.

Keep with your Macbook Pro Retina until a dock for the NewMacbook appears.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can't speak to the games, but everything else is more than fine on the rMB, but there may be other things you don't like about it. For example, the keyboard might drive you nuts (it drove me nuts).

Once the $80 charge/USB A/HDMI dongle is available I don't think the single port is a real life issue - hook up the hub to the USB A connection and you should be all set. I did that with a SIIG powered USB 3 hub with the $20 USB A-only adapter and multiple disks and it worked fine.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
I can't speak to the games, but everything else is more than fine on the rMB, but there may be other things you don't like about it. For example, the keyboard might drive you nuts (it drove me nuts).

Once the $80 charge/USB A/HDMI dongle is available I don't think the single port is a real life issue - hook up the hub to the USB A connection and you should be all set. I did that with a SIIG powered USB 3 hub with the $20 USB A-only adapter and multiple disks and it worked fine.

What about ethernet users? I download a lot of music (like FLAC and 320kbps) and FHD movies. Also, I would like to conect to an external display. Plus, when I need to move files to my usb, it will be a total mess connecting and disconnecting adapters.

I think that the New Macbook retina is not ready for the most users.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Snappiness or Bling?

1. Chrome/Firefox/Safari
2. Notes
3. Calendar
4. Messages
5. iPhoto
6. Pages
7. Numbers
8. Occasional Keynote
9. Itunes
19. VLC
20. Call of Duty
21. Occasional Maps
22. Mail
27. Time Machine

No, I don't think you should get a MacBook because you feel it is kind of slow and not snappy.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1870008/

Yes, I do think you should get a Macbook because it would be another bit of bling to define your class and success.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1853009/

Then again, if you use your computer as a desktop 90% of the time (and you are as loaded and successful as you claim to be), get a desktop. Supplement it with a cute little MacBook for when you venture out. With the connectivity and integration between devices allowed by the latest OS X, that would surely be the ideal solution.

As to your uses; Any Mac will run the apps you mention. You don't mention what you actually do with them, thus how heavy your demand will be on your computer. One suspects somewhat lightweight, so any Mac that tickles your fancy would do.

Ask Matron; she probably knows you and your needs better than anyone here.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA

I actually liked the keyboard but I only played with it for 10 min in the store.

Why don't you like it? Too shallow?

----------

I also think you guys (and girls) are right. If I mainly use it as a desktop, then it would defeat the purpose of getting one.

It really doesn't matter if I have a mac mini, mac pro, or notebook attached to my external monitor.

Basically, my MBPr is a desktop, that I can disconnect and use on the go if needed b/c I have a nice retina screen attached to it.

That's basically how I use it. So then it wouldn't matter if I had a MB or MBPr.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I actually liked the keyboard but I only played with it for 10 min in the store.

----------

I also think you guys (and girls) are right. If I mainly use it as a desktop, then it would defeat the purpose of getting one.

It really doesn't matter if I have a mac mini, mac pro, or notebook attached to my external monitor.

Basically, my MBPr is a desktop, that I can disconnect and use on the go if needed b/c I have a nice retina screen attached to it.

That's basically how I use it. So then it wouldn't matter if I had a MB or MBPr.

Exactly, don't waste the money on it when you've got a great tool for your usage already.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK

"Most users" is exactly who it's ready for. What it's not ready for, nor ever will be, is the niche within which you reside.

You are the minority for using your laptop in such a haphazard/extended way. Not the other way around.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

That it is a laptop that is docked, or connected to an external monitor and possibly a keyboard and/or mouse, most of the time but still gets used "on the go" and not a desktop. By design desktops are not made to be used "on the go" as you put it. If you want to say that your MBPr is a desktop then it would never get used "on the go" since that is not possible with desktops. Yes there are idiots that have hauled their desktop computers to their local coffee shops but that does not qualify as being used "on the go".

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011

1. Chrome/Firefox/Safari
2. Notes
3. Calendar
4. Messages
5. iPhoto
6. Pages
7. Numbers
8. Occasional Keynote
9. Itunes
19. VLC
20. Call of Duty
21. Occasional Maps
22. Mail
27. Time Machine

Well if this sheds any light of relief for getting a MBr, I basically do the same things you listed, but I play World of Warcraft instead.

I kept my MBPr, and I haven't used it since I've gotten this. It's satisfied all my needs excellently.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What about ethernet users? I download a lot of music (like FLAC and 320kbps) and FHD movies. Also, I would like to conect to an external display. Plus, when I need to move files to my usb, it will be a total mess connecting and disconnecting adapters.

I think you have "most users" backwards. Most people are not like most people here - they use WiFi for music and movies and move files around with DropBox. For an external display, you can use the HDMI/USB A/charging dongle.

----------

----------

Yes, too shallow. I truly thought I would get used to it, and instead it got to be more and more annoying.

Based on what you're describing, I think I'd stay with the rMBP. The only real rationale for the rMB is ultra portability. If that's not your first priority, it's not a compelling machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.