Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Specs:
12' Mac Mini 2.5GHz i5 4GB Ram 500GB HD with 2TB Ex On RAID for Backup, OS 10.10.3
Running 2 Parallel OS X 10.10.3 Servers each with 1GB of RAM.
All Software is up to date
The Installs are very minimal. No extra's just the server.

Problem
Every Morning when I come in to the office both my servers are off line. When I attach a screen They are running and just take a minute to then show up in a server client on my MBP. What the heck is going on? How do I keep the server Live?

kweevuss

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Specs:
12' Mac Mini 2.5GHz i5 4GB Ram 500GB HD with 2TB Ex On RAID for Backup, OS 10.10.3
?

With this mac mini only having 4GB and the VM's taking up 2GB that doesn't leave the host os very much room. I would check activity monitor to see what the memory pressure is like

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
With this mac mini only having 4GB and the VM's taking up 2GB that doesn't leave the host os very much room. I would check activity monitor to see what the memory pressure is like

with both machines running and stable memory load is sitting between 60-70%

Native Parallels is 150 MB
Servers are 550-650 MB Each.

The servers run great all day long. Granted Im not loading them much at al. Cal, Reminders, Contacts, A Wiki and a webpage redirect....They are basically there so that the guys in the field have uptodate cal's with job details and contacts for new clients.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
with both machines running and stable memory load is sitting between 60-70%

Native Parallels is 150 MB
Servers are 550-650 MB Each.

The servers run great all day long. Granted Im not loading them much at al. Cal, Reminders, Contacts, A Wiki and a webpage redirect....They are basically there so that the guys in the field have uptodate cal's with job details and contacts for new clients.

You need more RAM to run all this even if it appears to be "working." If you've allocated each VM to use 1GB, the RAM usage stats you're seeing simply are incorrect. OSX can't run reliably in 1GB, so each VM needs more RAM. The host needs more RAM as well. It won't be able to cache and will swap heavily at times.
Edit: also keep in mind that Time Machine is memory and disk intensive and also cannot reliably back up virtual machine containers if the VMs are live.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Specs:
All Software is up to date
The Installs are very minimal. No extra's just the server.

Problem
Every Morning when I come in to the office both my servers are off line. When I attach a screen They are running and just take a minute to then show up in a server client on my MBP. What the heck is going on? How do I keep the server Live?

From what you describe, I don't think the issue is memory. If they run fine all day long then obviously you have sufficient memory. This sounds like a energy saver/wake issue. I have dealt with wake-up problems on and off with my 2012 headless mini. Could be something is interfering with the wake on LAN. In my case it turned out to be a third party utility I was running in the background.

What are your sleep settings? Do you have "wake on network" enabled?

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
From what you describe, I don't think the issue is memory. If they run fine all day long then obviously you have sufficient memory. This sounds like a energy saver/wake issue. I have dealt with wake-up problems on and off with my 2012 headless mini. Could be something is interfering with the wake on LAN. In my case it turned out to be a third party utility I was running in the background.

What are your sleep settings? Do you have "wake on network" enabled?

I have it set to never sleep. but I also have the wake on lan set on all 3 systems (Host and 2 PL)

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
any "smoking guns" in the system logs from around the time your system freezes?

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
Take this for whatever it's worth, but you state you attach a monitor every morning which I presume means you run the servers "headless". I recall have all types of issues running my Mac mini server "headless" and attached a monitor for several days and the problems went away. You may want to see if the "headless" part is attributing to your issues. A possible workaround if you determine this is your cause is to keep a monitor attached or build a dummy dongle.

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Take this for whatever it's worth, but you state you attach a monitor every morning which I presume means you run the servers "headless". I recall have all types of issues running my Mac mini server "headless" and attached a monitor for several days and the problems went away. You may want to see if the "headless" part is attributing to your issues. A possible workaround if you determine this is your cause is to keep a monitor attached or build a dummy dongle.

I do Infact run it headless. I have thought about putting a cheap 1080 wall mounted screen and having it display photos or reference charts for me. :) shame it can't drive a 4k! :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=555015&stc=1&d=1432388187

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 339

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
So it did it again this morning. I work up, fired up the Cal app and "...can not be refreshed".... So I start server. type in my domain and a few seconds later Im looking at the server no problem. Every thing appears to be normal. Looking through the logs doesn't show many any glaring sign of anything that went wrong. Every hour there is a log entry of listening on HTTP and HTTPs ports (cal and contacts ports) there is only one entry at 4:46 am that shows any type of error

May 23 04:46:33 mycompany.com BezelServices 250.15[99]: ASSERTION FAILED: dvcAddrRef != ((void *)0) -[DriverServices getDeviceAddress:] line: 2727

No idea what it means

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.