Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaleyer

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Sydney, Oz
I made a Matched Platelet donation in Sydney Town Hall on April 25th and should have another one done by late May barring travel. The entire team at that centre are fantastic.
I'm now at 65, mostly matched platelet, donations in the last 7 years.
James

DarknDevious

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
Steel City UK [Ha]
Last donation (platelets, plasma - 2 units, three weeks back) gonna have to wait a while for the next donation as they're redecorating the donation centre. Staff there do a fantastic job - one member dashed out to feed a parking meter for me as I'd underestimated the time I'd need - Doh!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 148

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
Goal: 2 plateletpheresis donations completed in May

I just completed a plateletpheresis donation on Thursday, 30 April 2015. Means I'm eligible to donate twice in May.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
25th lifetime donation

Good thing I regenerate my blood, but it was pretty easy to just lie there and let the blood drain out.

The problem was that there was a kink in the line so it was draining slowly, even though I had ridden my bike there and my heart rate was a little high.

I was able to sneak a picture with my iPhone and it was lined up just right. I was impressed that I did it without looking.

Attachments

• blood2015.jpeg
    blood2015.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 127

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I gave whole blood last Wednesday. Part of the tubing started leaking, and I got a little light-headed when I saw the worker's hands covered in my blood. I was still able to finish my pint though. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I gave whole blood last Wednesday. Part of the tubing started leaking, and I got a little light-headed when I saw the worker's hands covered in my blood. I was still able to finish my pint though. :)
I'm glad you succeeded. I've read that getting light-headed when you see blood (from a drop in your blood pressure) is not only normal but is a self-protection mechanism that we evolved. If you see blood, it might be yours, so dropping your blood pressure helps you bleed less and clot faster. It's more useful when you're in the forest facing wild animals than when you're in a comfy chair donating blood, but it's part of being human!

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I'm glad you succeeded. I've read that getting light-headed when you see blood (from a drop in your blood pressure) is not only normal but is a self-protection mechanism that we evolved. If you see blood, it might be yours, so dropping your blood pressure helps you bleed less and clot faster. It's more useful when you're in the forest facing wild animals than when you're in a comfy chair donating blood, but it's part of being human!

Doctor Q after reading your post, I saw this video, the people came face with the wild animals you mentioned.

http://time.com/3852921/bears-tourists-yellowstone/

brianjones2007

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
6 Units total so far. 2 Units on May 2nd, 2 on May 9th, and 2 on May 23 all platelets.

EDIT: Added 3rd Donation of month.

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I can't very well help organize a blood drive without participating myself, so here's a photo of my stylish bandage. I had an excellent nurse (barely felt it) so my blood donation went perfectly smoothly.

Doctor_Q_bandage_2015.jpg

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I donated platelets on Friday 5/15 and may get to do a whole blood donation on the 27th. I'm also registered with Be The Match and I'm listed as an organ donor on my driver's license.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I donated platelets on Friday 5/15 and may get to do a whole blood donation on the 27th. I'm also registered with Be The Match and I'm listed as an organ donor on my driver's license.
No wonder your username is dynamojoe!

Please let us know if you're able to make the donation next week as well.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Donating a triple of platelets right now. Likely to be my only donation inside of this blood drive. Oh well, there is always next year.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
To all potential donors

The end of our Blood Drive is approaching. If you have a chance to participate before the month is over, please post and tell us about it.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Done, today. Had an appointment for 6, showed up just before 5 by mistake and was still done and headed home by 5:20. They pretty much had one person to attend to each donor.

Attachments

• IMG_20150526_185447566.jpg
    IMG_20150526_185447566.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 125

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Done, today. Had an appointment for 6, showed up just before 5 by mistake and was still done and headed home by 5:20. They pretty much had one person to attend to each donor.
Was this a whole blood donation?

We've just reached 50 total units of blood/platelets/plasma recorded in this Blood Drive, and there are still a few days to go.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Was this a whole blood donation?

We've just reached 50 total units of blood/platelets/plasma recorded in this Blood Drive, and there are still a few days to go.

It was a normal donation, I believe that's whole blood.

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Just donated 450 ml (1 unit) of whole blood on Tuesday, May 26th. It was my 25th donation overall.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 125

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Final Tally

The MacRumors 2015 Blood Drive has ended, but we continue to encourage you to donate blood and platelets, spread the word about how important it is, and sign up for the organ donor registry and bone marrow registry if you haven't already done so.

Final tally:

Blood: 37 donors, 38 donations, 39 units

Platelets: 9 donors, 15 donations, 21 units

Plasma: 1 donor, 1 donation, 2 units

Totals: 46 donors, 54 donations, 62 units

1 organ donor signup​

Thanks and congratulations to the forum members on our Honor Roll:

7thson, aardwolf, ajlei, brianjones2007, chaleyer, cjmillsnun, Comeagain?, DarknDevious, DavidWildJnr, Doctor Q, dWolfers, dynamojoe, G4-power, hallux, happydude, hofer, hulugu, JamesMike and his team, jbachandouris, justinthesommer, Kaylor, MacToddB, MartyCan, NotAdvisable, NOTNlCE, Pilon, rcappo, smyther, SteveLazarus, and Timelordprime
and to all other blood, platelet, and plasma donors!

Special mention to G4-power for participating in all 6 MacRumors Blood Drives, ironpw and Timelordprime for the most recorded donations (7 each), JamesMike for the largest group donation (18), spillproof for the highest total units of blood (8), 7thson for the highest total units of platelets (16), ironpw next with 15 units of platelets, and brianjones2007 for the highest number of units in this year's blood drive (4).

Cumulative

In 6 years the MacRumors Blood Drives have recorded donations of 316 units of blood and platelets and plasma (195 blood + 116 platelets + 5 plasma) in 241 donations by 163 distinct donors. 38 of them donated more than once. We have recorded 5 new signups for the organ donor registry and 2 new signups for the bone marrow registry. We've heard from many forum members whose lives were affected by blood, platelet, or bone marrow donations.

Thanks everyone! Keep donating, and plan ahead for next year's MacRumors Blood Drive in May 2016!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.