Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Seems to me the word "delay" is being used a whole heck of a lot more these days when referring to Apple things...

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
There are many factors there for you, but obviously multiwindow isn't one of them. Perhaps the greatest reason why don't use the NoteTab much is because touch-optimized Modern UI apps are fewer and of lower quality than what is available for Android and iOS.

I too have Android, iOS, and Windows tablets, and my Windows tablets see the least amount of use as tablets. (I DO use the Switch 11 as a notebook and sketchbook) I can trace that to the apps.

Multiwindow on my GTab 8.4 Pro is very handy. I can have a word processor open in one window and a reference app (or website) in another and be able to switch easily between the two. That's on an 8.4" screen. That capability on a larger iOS-based device? I drool with anticipation. :eek:

Well written. You mentioned some things I hadn't considered. I MAY just have to correct myself. Can I say, "Okay Apple, SHOW me I need this?"

I can run Steam and games I have purchased on my Windows Tablet. If the ASUS had HDMI out I could use it as a steam box (with an Xbox 360 wireless controller). Funny, I don't know why no one has gone this route for a Steam Box (the next version of the nVidia Shield tablet could handle it in spades).

Anyway, I appreciate what you added.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Uh, lol, no...

... and it won't have a stylus either.

My understanding is that iPad will have pressure sensitive stylus, rather limiting pressure sensitivity to iPad pro. The stylus can be used on all iPads, not just pros.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Well written. You mentioned some things I hadn't considered. I MAY just have to correct myself. Can I say, "Okay Apple, SHOW me I need this?"

I can run Steam and games I have purchased on my Windows Tablet. If the ASUS had HDMI out I could use it as a steam box (with an Xbox 360 wireless controller). Funny, I don't know why no one has gone this route for a Steam Box (the next version of the nVidia Shield tablet could handle it in spades).

My current 'steam' box is almost exactly that. Its one of the uses I have for the Surface pro. I'm sure the new Surface 3 would be able to handle it too

to be honest, Any modern x86 based tablet with a USB port and external graphics port can handle steam in game homestreaming for a steam box.

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Where would you guys price the iPad Pro, trying to see where it would sit amongst the competition of other products including apple ones it is difficult to see where to place the device. I think apples biggest challenge will be to convince people why to buy it over a cheaper and liked iPad or the very much liked Macbooks.

The Direct Competion
Macbook Air 13 999.99
Surface Pro 3 (I5 128GB) W/O Typecover 999.99
Surface Pro 3 (I5 128GB) W/ Typecover 1129.98
Macbook Retina 1299.99
Macbook Pro Retina 1299.99
Other Various Laptops 899.99 & Up

The Near Competition
Surface 3 (128GB) W/O Typecover 599.99
Surface 3 (128GB) W/ Typecover 729.98
iPad Air 2 (128GB) 699.99
iPad Air 2 (128GB) W/ Logitech Covers 789.98/799.99
Macbook Air 11 899.99

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Thanks for the kind words. The challenge to Apple that I bolded is classic Apple. I remember when rumors of the iPad were running up before announcement... pundits said it would be a $1000 tablet. When it was announced @ $499, jaws hit the floor. That response didn't last long as focus shifted to poking fun at the name "iPad", the lack of a stylus, and claims that it was nothing more than a large phone.

People didn't "get it" until they "got it". Apple forged a path in the tablet realm that was different than every attempt before it.

I'm hoping that Apple does the same thing with hybrid/tablet+ devices.

=Alb=

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Welcome to Windoze 1.0

What an involution, Apple!!!
(missing Jobs. BADLY)

dd942846.fig01_L(en-us,MSDN.10).gif

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I don't know where you got five years from. Five years ago tablets (as we know them know) just barely existed. Even today it's not like the competing split-screen options are setting the world on fire. They range from mediocre (Windows) to horrible (Samsung). I don't know what Apple will accomplish, but it's hard think of them as behind when the current implementations are mostly junk.

LOL!!!

Samsung are not horrible! I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it is great and i'm very happy with it!

What are you talking about?!! Samsung makes great tablets!!!!

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
They're for what most patents are for : preventing the competition from being able to innovate. Companies like Apple and Microsoft deposit kilograms of patents daily - that's why the patent office is not able to verify that they're valid. Most of them are never used, unless a competitor happens to integrate an innovation that might be covered by one of your patents.

Well I'm willing to make a bet with you that an Apple stylus will come out within the next two years.

----------

^^^ iPad sales have cratered. Instead of concentrating on new features, it's been the same-ol-same for years.

How is split screen multitasking not a new feature as it currently doesn't exist on any iPad. :confused:

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Great. Now how about they give me a stock calculator app.

You might find a calculator for making sauces on the App Store. Not sure that Apple will include one by default, as they might regard it as rather niche.

----------

This also better be on devices other than the iPad Pro.

Like the Apple Watch.

Indeed.

When I can edit my spreadsheet whilst editing video in Final Cut Pro split-screen, the Apple Watch will have come of age.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I would like sophisticated split-screen for the Mac as well as the iPad.

More important is proper file management for iCloud Drive on the iPad, along with PDF to print.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
An ARM MacBook running iOS is edging closer.

It amazes me that people still say that. Why on earth would Apple produce a Mac branded product and stick iOS on it, just for the sake of doing so? If you've seen how thin and light the new MacBooks are, it would be the most unreasonable touchscreen you could imagine as it would just keep tilting back and forth.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It amazes me that people still say that. Why on earth would Apple produce a Mac branded product and stick iOS on it, just for the sake of doing so? If you've seen how thin and light the new MacBooks are, it would be the most unreasonable touchscreen you could imagine as it would just keep tilting back and forth.
In fairness to the many who want things like that, they have mostly come to their opinion based on the theoretical, not in actual use. I have quite a large stack of tablets, notebooks, and hybrids but there are not many who can do that so I cut them some slack.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Split screens / full(proper) multitasking is not a feature. It's a fundamental aspect of the operating system and design of the device. Lack of this is indeed functionally crippling to iOS, especially on the iPad. This is not opinion. Apple is objectively behind in the area. You can successfully argue that missing it does not matter, both in sales and the general usefulness of the iPad, but you cannot argue that Apple is not behind when multitasking is still missing.

Just because Apple doesn't have a feature that others have doesn't make them behind. It only makes them behind to you if you need or want that feature. Are they behind because they don't have the hi-res stylus support that MS has? I don't care about that so they're not behind. Same goes for multitasking and 4k displays and 3d support. I don't have a need for those things and obviously Apple agrees until there is enough demand for features. They don't bother adding features or entering markets unless they believe that hundreds of millions of customers will use or choose those features.

I still haven't found a good use case for multitasking app support except for watching a video while I'm browsing but I already do that when I'm in front of my tv and on my iPad at the same time.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Just because Apple doesn't have a feature that others have doesn't make them behind. It only makes them behind to you if you need or want that feature. Are they behind because they don't have the hi-res stylus support that MS has? I don't care about that so they're not behind. Same goes for multitasking and 4k displays and 3d support. I don't have a need for those things and obviously Apple agrees until there is enough demand for features. They don't bother adding features or entering markets unless they believe that hundreds of millions of customers will use or choose those features.

I still haven't found a good use case for multitasking app support except for watching a video while I'm browsing but I already do that when I'm in front of my tv and on my iPad at the same time.

I am an Apple fan, and Apple are behind, but they are making solid progress. Ive read more than one article where it mentions that iOS is at or near parity. Not quite parity, but almost there, and integration is well and truly there.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My $92 Windows Tablet is somewhat more usable for work than my iPad due to the fact I can open two separate windows.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
LOL!!!

Samsung are not horrible! I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it is great and i'm very happy with it!

What are you talking about?!! Samsung makes great tablets!!!!

Agreed. The Tab S is awesome. Even a year later, its still one of the best tablets on the market today IMO

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Agreed. The Tab S is awesome. Even a year later, its still one of the best tablets on the market today IMO

When the poster says

"They range from mediocre (Windows) to horrible (Samsung). I don't know what Apple will accomplish, but it's hard think of them as behind when the current implementations are mostly junk."

Well, need I say more.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
When the poster says

"They range from mediocre (Windows) to horrible (Samsung). I don't know what Apple will accomplish, but it's hard think of them as behind when the current implementations are mostly junk."

Well, need I say more.

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say but be that as it may, the Tab S is still one of the better tablets available today. The display on that thing is beautiful.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013

As I first stated, you not needing a missing feature does not mean the feature is not missing.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014

The Upcoming Tab S2 will be even better! :D :D

Even tho i won't be getting the upcoming Tab S2 because i have a very high end and powerful Android tablet(Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4) and i don't need to buy a new Android tablet as it is good enough.

So my next tablet will be the Ipad Air 3 when it comes out this fall.

----------

If you trace back the quotes, you will see. I was criticising fanboy comments.

Lol you saying that Samsung makes horrible tablets.

You are soo wrong Tdale!!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.