Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Glad it worked out for you bud! You didnt have to restore though, you could have just popped in a non-att sim card :rolleyes:

I wish I had someone with another sim-card around me but everyone I know have AT&T. T-Mobile users don't really exist where I live in NorCal even thought here's a bunch of stores around us.

thanghesman

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
FYI Request the unlock online. I have two iPhone 6's both on NEXT and both are not paid off yet.

I requested an unlock via their website. with my iPhone 6 and it was unlocked immediately.

I then requested for my wife (who is going to Japan in March and wants to use her phone) and it was denied because it said it was in contract.
I sent in a second request and it said it was denied because of NEXT. I sent in a 3rd request and they said, congratulations your phone is now unlocked.

I tested both phones with my sim out of my work phone (verizon).

Bottom line, request on their website and then request again and again and you will get it unlocked for free.
could you help me do it? i try to do it 10 times but it isn't successfull.tks

Tommy3Putts

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
NoVA
Longtime lurker, first time poster. This site is a great resource. Here is my .02.

Thanks to this thread, I was successful in getting my iPhone 6+ unlocked. It is is under contract and has 16 months left. After 6 unsuccessful tries using my IMEI number and my cell number associated with the IMEI number and the account, I used my wife's cell number with the IMEI and that worked almost instantly. The account is under my name and number.

I'm a long time AT&T customer. They have been my celll provider in one form or another for 20+ years. I have no intnetion of breaking our current contracts. I just want to use local SIMS for our vacation in the UK. Unlocking the phone should not be this hard.

Also I'm a huge fan of the Roamer App for iPhone. For all you foreign travellers, I used it with my unlocked iphone 5 in Italy last summer.

Now I will try to get my wife's unlocked

Cheers!
Tom

Tommy3Putts

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
NoVA
Update: Wife's iPhone 6, 16 months left on contract is now unlocked on second try. First using her number with the IMEI number was denied. Second I used my cell number with her IMEI and it was approved immediately.

Thank you to all the contributers in this thread, even those that have not been successful.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:

vindicatedephem

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
I am traveling to Taiwan, on the 22nd of this month. My question about unlocking is: does it void your warranty? mobile insurance with AT&T? What about the new IOS 9 update coming up? Will it effect the coming update? How does this work?

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
I am traveling to Taiwan, on the 22nd of this month. My question about unlocking is: does it void your warranty? mobile insurance with AT&T? What about the new IOS 9 update coming up? Will it effect the coming update? How does this work?

No to all. Your phone is unaffected. The IMEI is whitelisted as unlocked in Apple's database. That's it. No change to your phone or its software.

Last edited:

Tommy3Putts

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
NoVA
Doesn't work ;/ Tried 5 times lol

Keep trying. Take a few minutes and read through the previous posts on this thread. Others have tried different tweaks on the information provided in the unlock request. With varying degrees of success.

For example as in my case, if you have multiple lines/numbers on your AT&T account try using one of those withe your IMEI.

crawl3rsout

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2015
Texas
So I have an iphone 6 and I have been trying all day to get it unlocked. I'm on the Next24 plan right now but we are off contract with both lines. I keep getting the automated reply that the request was denied because of the unpaid Next installments (about $541.00). So then I tried requesting as a Prepaid/GoPhone User and got this message

Unlock request number: <omitted>

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:

Our records indicate that you have a Business account.

Please access our Business Portal here to submit a new unlock request.

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team

We don't have a Business Account??????? Anyone else had this issue????

izbd

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
CA
After chatting with an AT&T representative and being quoted hundreds of dollars to get out of my 2 year contract to be able to unlock my phone I found this thread and gave it a try.

It worked for me at the first attempt with my iPhone 6. It worked on the second attempt with my wife's iPhone 6 using my phone number and her IMEI.

Both phones received the message saying - Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked - after backing up to iTunes, being wiped and reconnected to iTunes. Restored both from the backups and everything is up and running as before.

Thanks guys!

DarrenStevens

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2015
This worked for me to unlock 2 on-contract iPhone 5s. The first was unlocked immediately, the second took multiple tries and I tried using its IMEI with each number on the account but it was not successful until I tried as a GoPhone, that worked.

Allthings-I

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
After chatting with an AT&T representative and being quoted hundreds of dollars to get out of my 2 year contract to be able to unlock my phone I found this thread and gave it a try.

It worked for me at the first attempt with my iPhone 6. It worked on the second attempt with my wife's iPhone 6 using my phone number and her IMEI.

Both phones received the message saying - Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked - after backing up to iTunes, being wiped and reconnected to iTunes. Restored both from the backups and everything is up and running as before.

Thanks guys!

There is no need to restore your iPhone anymore....we're into the future. Only with iPhone 4 and older a restore was required.

However if anyone feel's they must restore...then enjoy the time wasted :)

one just needs to insert a non-AT&T SIM and see it working to confirm unlock and no it will not reverse the unlock for any reason.

Chas3R

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
This just worked for me, I registered on this site JUST to post that I was able to unlock my at&t iPhone 6 purchased via the NEXT 24 program just 9 months ago. Even though it has a $500+ balance I was able to get it unlocked which is perfect because I travel out of the country a lot and was having to bring a second phone just for data which was horribly annoying. Thanks for this!!

residentmale

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
Does anyone if this still works? I've tried to do it with both my line and another line on the account (same IEMI of course) and it always failed. I've probably tried around 10 times with a combination of both methods.

I'm travelling to China on Sunday. Worst comes to worst I'll use my old LG G2.

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
i think only work for 6 only 6plus denied

i try before like 20 times , i might try today again let c any change -

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
It took 1 week about 20 requests, about 2 per day and finally they gave up and unlocked iPhone still under contract bought this January.

ipadpro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2015
i just got this message for my iphone 6 plus request unlock ,,, hahahah
Code:
Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:

You have not completed all the payments for your device according to your AT&T Next service agreement.

You can submit a new request once you complete all your device payments.

nepgear168

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
It took 1 week about 20 requests, about 2 per day and finally they gave up and unlocked iPhone still under contract bought this January.

What customer type did you use? Current, Previous, GoPhone or Non ATT customer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.