Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alternatescript

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Hi, last night I spilled some water on my Mba 13.3" late 2010. I immediately unplugged the charger, headphones and turned the computer off. I cleaned it off, and left it to dry next to a fan and also leaving the charger plugged in. This morning I tried turning it on but to no avail. I also noticed that the charger light wasn't green like it was the previous day, so it must've went off overnight. I assume this means that my MacBook isn't charging anymore. Should still have the charger in the laptop or leave it out? Should I leave it drying for a couple more days or try resetting the PRAM or SMC? Not sure what to do here since I don't know too much about computers. Thanks,
script

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Hi, last night I spilled some water on my Mba 13.3" late 2010. I immediately unplugged the charger, headphones and turned the computer off. I cleaned it off, and left it to dry next to a fan and also leaving the charger plugged in. This morning I tried turning it on but to no avail. I also noticed that the charger light wasn't green like it was the previous day, so it must've went off overnight. I assume this means that my MacBook isn't charging anymore. Should still have the charger in the laptop or leave it out? Should I leave it drying for a couple more days or try resetting the PRAM or SMC? Not sure what to do here since I don't know too much about computers. Thanks,
script

Disconnect the charger. Not sure why you connected it in the first place. The goal is to have the laptop doing as little as possible (i.e., this includes not charging).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
script

It is never a good idea to leave it plugged in after a spill, and that includes the battery internally. You probably shorted something out.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
script

You prob just killed your macbook There should have been no electricity running through it while it was drying

EarlKris

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Hi Guys,

I just want to write this testimonial about what happened to my MacBook Pro 3 days ago. While I was eating dinner at the table while surfing the net, I accidentally knocked my tall glass with water straight to my laptop. Water was spilled on the side where the charger is. I don't really know the extent of spillage but all I know is that there was really water on that side of the keyboard. I immediately unplugged the charger because I was also charging that time and wiped the keys with wash cloth. The laptop was initially ok and was still on but after several seconds the screen went black. I panicked and I immediately turned it off and turned my laptop upside down in the hopes of draining the remaining water that spilled. I then searched for forums from my phone on what to do in cases like this and came upon this forum. Upon reading the posts, I thought I did a good job by turning it off immediately. But here's the thing. When I was about to flip it over to wipe the keys again, I accidentally pressed on the power button. I saw the apple logo at the back of the screen lit up and heard the usual sound when you turn on the mac. I was happy but a second later, I saw the apple logo flicker and when I checked the screen, it was blank. There was nothing on the screen. I was really disheartened and tried to turn it on a couple of times. But all I get is the sound when you turn on the laptop but the screen is totally blank. My heart started racing and I didn't know what to do. My wife and I discussed things and decided to immerse the laptop in rice, just as what we have read in the forums. We kept it there for approximately 3 days. We then prayed and prayed and prayed. I was really broken hearted. After all, it was not an easy peasy purchase. We haven't even finished paying for the laptop because we enrolled it for 6 months in installment payments. I was already searching the net for Apple Service shops near us just to get ready if that dreadful thing happens. But I just surrendered everything to God for I know He is the God of everything. I was tempted to try to open it several times but fear always kicked in. After 3 days, we decided to test the laptop. I came from night duty so I was sleeping when my wife tried to turn it on. She prayed fervently first. When she pressed the power button, VOILA my laptop sprung back to life She tested all the keys, it was all working. She tried to charge it, it was charging. She woke me up and blurted out the good news. I was really happy Truly, He is the God of everything! May this testimonial give hope and inspiration to all of you who are in the same situation as I was, 3 days back. To God be all the glory!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Trust in (insert deity here)...and wear protection:

Silicone keyboard cover

Honestly, haven't we stickied all the warnings/precautions, and all the emergency steps to take after dumping water on your MBA yet? Nobody has mentioned sticking the thing in rice to absorb all the remaining moisture...

Axeros

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
In a real emergency, I'd turn off the machine, disconnect power (!), and flush with distilled water. After that turn to drying it out, e.g. with rice, in a low temp oven.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I would use a very soft toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol.

remove the logic board, clean all parts of it, inside the ports aswell, all the connectors too.
Make sure all residue is gone.
I have brought back many water damaged iphones and laptops this way.

You dont have much too loose considering its broken anyway.
once done, assemble it, see if it turns on.

EarlKris

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Trust in (insert deity here)...and wear protection:

Silicone keyboard cover

Honestly, haven't we stickied all the warnings/precautions, and all the emergency steps to take after dumping water on your MBA yet? Nobody has mentioned sticking the thing in rice to absorb all the remaining moisture...

But here's the thing. When I was about to flip it over to wipe the keys again, I accidentally pressed on the power button. I saw the apple logo at the back of the screen lit up and heard the usual sound when you turn on the mac. I was happy but a second later, I saw the apple logo flicker and when I checked the screen, it was blank. There was nothing on the screen. I was really disheartened and tried to turn it on a couple of times. But all I get is the sound when you turn on the laptop but the screen is totally blank. My heart started racing and I didn't know what to do.

So how can you explain why my laptop sprang back to life when all I could get is a blank screen and would produce only a sound when I tried to turn it on multiple times after the spill?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.