Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kate288

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
I have been saving up for a new laptop for a couple months and would love some buying advice. I have been considering a MacBook Air as I need one I can easily take with me from location to location for my intern position. At the moment I'm tossing up between a 13" refurbished one (from Apple) with 256gb storage, 1.4GHz. Or a brand new one with 128gb, 1.6GHz. There is a price difference of $227 and I will primarly be using it for some marketing programs and Adobe indesign. I would love it go Pro but don't have the money right now. Which one would you choose? ...Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
I have been saving up for a new laptop for a couple months and would love some buying advice. I have been considering a MacBook Air as I need one I can easily take with me from location to location for my intern position. At the moment I'm tossing up between a 13" refurbished one (from Apple) with 256gb storage, 1.4GHz. Or a brand new one with 128gb, 1.6GHz. There is a price difference of $227 and I will primarly be using it for some marketing programs and Adobe indesign. I would love it go Pro but don't have the money right now. Which one would you choose? ...Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Can you tell from which year the refurbished model is? If it's the 2014 model I would go with that one. 128 GB is not that much if you have some music/video, also the adobe indesign files.. The 2015 version is more a little speed bump form the 2014.

Kate288

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Yes it is the 2014 model. in terms of speed vs memory I was thinking of saving majority of my bulky files to an external hd but it might be easier just getting the bigger memory to begin with...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
There are some small differences between the '14 and '15 models, but I don't think they'll matter all that much for you. Personally, I'd save the money and buy the refurbished model.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I would have to agree. Because the difference between the two is minimal, I would go for the refurb for the larger memory and cost savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.