Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daxiel22

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2013
Spain
When will 10.10.4 be released? REALLY looking forward to fixing this annoying problem.

btw. I don't think this is hardware related.. definitely something was wrong with OS or impact caused by some other software.. however I am using a new MacBook Pro 13'' 2015 model and did not have a lot software installed, but I am experiencing this...

The third beta was already released on May 11th.
I expect the final release for Mid-June.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The problem is not reinstall the system, but all applications, prefs, and so on...

I see. When you meant 0 you where referring to starting over from scratch to install everything. I thought you meant start over by installing 10.10.0. My bad.

Ayrton1

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
That's right. For 12 months everything has worked well, but suddenly the finder returns to be sluggish. I find no explanation.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That's right. For 12 months everything has worked well, but suddenly the finder returns to be sluggish. I find no explanation.

Is your system finder reindexing by any chance? If it was that would explain the slow down. Anyhow, if you do a clean install, my suggestion is not to install everything all at once. Install one at a time and watch how the system performs. You might spread out the installs over several days just to see if anything installed might be causing the issue. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
We pay a price for all this network connectivity. Finder is pretty much forced to work asynchronously, or spend a lot of time waiting for unattached network devices to time out. You'd think Apple could tweak things so physically attached devices are handle at least semi-synchronously, but for whatever reason, Finder stuff gets low priority in the action queue.

Ayrton1

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Is your system finder reindexing by any chance? If it was that would explain the slow down. Anyhow, if you do a clean install, my suggestion is not to install everything all at once. Install one at a time and watch how the system performs. You might spread out the installs over several days just to see if anything installed might be causing the issue. Just a thought.

So I did it. At the end, everything worked properly. But after several months, delays in response finder appear again. If I right-click on the desktop and create a new folder, the folder won't appear for 1-2 seconds. Same if I delete the folder. There's a several second delay before it disappears. If I do the same things from the menu options, there's no lag at all.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
So I did it. At the end, everything worked properly. But after several months, delays in response finder appear again. If I right-click on the desktop and create a new folder, the folder won't appear for 1-2 seconds. Same if I delete the folder. There's a several second delay before it disappears. If I do the same things from the menu options, there's no lag at all.

I understand your frustration and certainly would also be frustrated. Not sure why some people are having the issue you are experiencing and others are not. The same thing seems to be happening with the WiFi and Bluetooth, some having the issue while others aren't. Personally, 10.10 has run great on any of my Mac computers which range from my 2009 Mac-Mini, 2009 MacBook Pro, 2011 iMac and 2015 retina MacBook Pro.

bobbydaz

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
UK
I've noticed my Mac Pro 2010 to be very sluggish the last week or so. Opening folders and general navigation is unresponsive. Also opening a finder Window has a stuttered animation. Is this a 10.10.5 issue as I didn't have this problem before.

boertje

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Hey yawns, I am experiencing the exact same strange behavior you are describing. Basic operations within the finder have a terrible lag quite often. This is most obvious when locally deleting/moving files or creating folders. Pure filesystem operations that shouldn't take long at all, really. It seems almost as if the finder isn't refreshing its window contents faster then every 5 seconds or so. I have had this behavior on my brand new macbook with yosemite but it has persisted until el capitan. None of the icloud-related fixes have worked for me. Have you had any luck in fixing your finder?

yawns

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hi, yeah I was hoping upgrading would fix this but it didn't. I think it'll be there forever until a fresh OS install, which I don't feel is worth the effort.

For me I don't think it's finder not refreshing. Performing file operations from terminal has instant visual results ("rm ~/Desktop/blah" and "blah" immediately disappears from the desktop). Someone else noted (in this thread I think) that even operations via the file menu are pretty fast ("file->new folder" and your new folder appears without delay). It seems like only tasks done via the right-click menu have a visual delay... which is really weird. And it is just visual. e.g., If I right-click something and delete, I immediately hear the *trashed* noise. If I'm fast enough I can ls in a terminal to verify the file is actually gone, yet I can still see it in Finder for a few seconds.

Reactions: grahamperrin

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I have noticed this laggy behavior a few times and noticed when I'd reboot my machine, the Finder was "normal" again for a while. I got sick of the reboots and tried an option-right-click on the Finder dock icon and selected "Relaunch" - sometimes it would take a couple relaunches, but then Finder was back to its normal speed without having to reboot the entire system. Funny thing is - after a couple of relaunches, Finder would be fine for a few weeks - until maybe a software update to OS X or a reboot for some other reason and then it would start the lagging again....but the Relaunches always seem to fix it now.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Finder has been slow since Mavericks …

Misunderstandings about Finder are commonplace.

… seems like only tasks done via the right-click menu have a visual delay … If I right-click something and delete, I immediately hear the *trashed* noise. If I'm fast enough I can ls in a terminal to verify the file is actually gone, yet I can still see it in Finder for a few seconds.

@yawns your observations are extraordinarily good. The screen recording helped. Please see the links near the foot of https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20687200 – you probably have enough confidence, with Terminal, to gain a better understanding of the visually apparent (not audible) delays in your case.

yawns

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Apologies for bumping a really old thread, but this is still a problem in Sierra, so I guess it's still relevant; and after years of experiencing this on (now) multiple Macbooks, I have finally found the very weird solution (via a Reddit thread on the same issue):

The speed at which files show up/disappear on the desktop is somehow tied to the "Double-click speed" set in System Prefs->Accessibility->Mouse & Trackpad.

If you set this to the slowest setting and then right-click->"new folder" on the desktop, it'll take ~5 seconds for the folder to appear. If you move the "Double-click speed" setting up a few notches and create another folder on the desktop, it takes ~2 seconds. If you move this setting past the half-way mark, file manipulation on the desktop happens at normal speeds.

Reactions: jbarley and steresi

steresi

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
Apologies for bumping a really old thread, but this is still a problem in Sierra, so I guess it's still relevant; and after years of experiencing this on (now) multiple Macbooks, I have finally found the very weird solution (via a Reddit thread on the same issue):

The speed at which files show up/disappear on the desktop is somehow tied to the "Double-click speed" set in System Prefs->Accessibility->Mouse & Trackpad.

If you set this to the slowest setting and then right-click->"new folder" on the desktop, it'll take ~5 seconds for the folder to appear. If you move the "Double-click speed" setting up a few notches and create another folder on the desktop, it takes ~2 seconds. If you move this setting past the half-way mark, file manipulation on the desktop happens at normal speeds.

THANK YOU!!

Holy cow, I've had this problem for a year and it's driven me nuts.

Nearly every time I create an empty folder in the Finder, I would have to wait 5-7 seconds before it would appear so I could rename it. And every time I deleted something, I would have to wait before it would disappear into the Trash.

Also, command-clicking a URL in a text document would take a similar delay before the URL would open in my browser. I'm running the latest OS (10.12 Sierra) on recent hardware. I had taken it as a given I'd have to do a clean install someday to fix all this. And it wouldn't have solved it!

My double-click speed was set on Slow, though I don't remember changing that. Adjusting the speed to Fast has FIXED IT!!

A huge thanks to you!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.